Ever Up And Moved To A New State? Give Me Your Experiences

So, NT, I'm feeling like a move. Feeling kinda stagnant at home as I've always lived here (VA) plus the job market could be better.

What was your move like? Did you have a job and everything setup?

I have buddies in the places I'm looking at (Atl, NC and MD) that'll let me crash until I get settled. I have some savings and taxes soon come so I'd be good there. Really just need a change of scenery.

I decided to move from VA to NY with little to no thought (literally decided overnight). I lined up a job after about a week of looking and moved in with a friend. Got my own apartment (with a roommate of course) about a month later and flourished.

Do it.
Especially while you're still youngish, Patten.

I did, first from Nyc to Hampton roads, lived there for about 8 years ( if I remember that's where you are, and yeah it's a dead zone) Then from Hampton roads to md/dmv area about 2 yrs ago. If you're in it you gotta make that move, if even for a little bit. HR severely underpays you, and you need gods cosign to get a senior decent paying job. An area with quick career growth can get you close. It was cool, had a spot with fam and a job lined up. Grew and defined my career path, partied it up a bit, smashed some ratchets, met some new people, a few lonely moments but overall good experience. I grow tired of this area though, so either this year or the next I'll try to find something back in va beach closer to fam, or make a move to Charlotte. I'm getting older and getting more for my money matters. I can't here, the real estate market is outrageous.

But basically make that leap man (especially if you're in your 20s) good or bad it's your experience to make. You can't grow there unless you're military. Grow elsewhere then return if you miss it, but better qualified.

I know a lot of scared, underpaid,qualified folks down there, don't be that.

Last edited:
Props to anyone who can. I cant just up and leave my parents or I would've left wisconsin 6 years ago. A buddy moves to North Carolina and is flourishing. Another friend got a 1 way ticket to NY to pursue architecture. Last time I heard she is a bartender. Have. Aback up plan to your back up plan. Good luck

Last edited:
I did, first from Nyc to Hampton roads, lived there for about 8 years ( if I remember that's where you are, and yeah it's a dead zone) Then from Hampton roads to md/dmv area about 2 yrs ago. If you're in it you gotta make that move, if even for a little bit. HR severely underpays you, and you need gods cosign to get a senior decent paying job. An area with quick career growth can get you close. It was cool, had a spot with fam and a job lined up. Grew and defined my career path, partied it up a bit, smashed some ratchets, met some new people, a few lonely moments but overall good experience. I grow tired of this area though, so either this year or the next I'll try to find something back in va beach closer to fam, or make a move to Charlotte. I'm getting older and getting more for my money matters. I can't here, the real estate market is outrageous.

Maryland and DC are just flat out robbing people with the housing market. It's damn near impossible to be single there have your own spot and flourish when it comes to the bang for your buck. I got a homie that makes 80k plus with a roommate. :smh:

Last edited:

But basically make that leap man (especially if you're in your 20s) good or bad it's your experience to make. You can't grow there unless you're military. Grow elsewhere then return if you miss it, but better qualified.

I know a lot of scared, underpaid,qualified folks down there, don't be that.

I have this nagging suspicioum that you're like... This super chill *** dude that get yambs, makes great money, all your married friends are jealous of you, and you wear new balance 574s...

How old are you bruh ?

:nerd:

Maryland and DC are just flat out robbing people with the housing market. It's damn near impossible to be single there have your own spot and flourish when it comes to the bang for your buck. I got a homie that makes 80k plus with a roommate. :smh:

I thought about DC as a landing spot but that COL is new York lime without all the fly **** new York has. :lol:

I've been back and forth from NC to MD since I was about 15...now that I'm older and realize how far my money will go. It's no way in hell would I ever live there. If you not getting that government money, have a great career choice or getting your own. Damn that.

Lol naw. I turned 31 last year, I rock air maxes and boots mostly (occasional Js and other sneakers) , I make decent money, but this area almost negates that (nothing compared to what heavy hitters in this area make). Took a yambs break last year but I'm trying for a 1/2 ecook this year (also slow burning the only woman I've ever loved in my adult life, would be great if it fell through). Married friends were actually upset I took that break, dudes be so thirsty for tales.

I am super chill though.

Last edited:
I've been back and forth from NC to MD since I was about 15...now that I'm older and realize how far my money will go. It's no way in hell would I ever live there. If you not getting that government money, have a great career choice or getting your own. Damn that.

Even then my next job jump should take me into 6 figures, but col still puts such a damper on your life. I've had this picture in my head of when I hit 6 figures all bills are covered with one weeks check, then I save and ball out with the rest. I want that.

It will be advised to have a job and housing already secured before moving to a different state..

I never did, but always think of random cities that seem cool to live in if I leave NC and don't go back to NY...top 3 that seem cool to me are Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh

Planning on doing this this summer after I get my masters. Considering Chatlotte, NC... But who knows.

Even then my next job jump should take me into 6 figures, but col still puts such a damper on your life. I've had this picture in my head of when I hit 6 figures all bills are covered with one weeks check, then I save and ball out with the rest. I want that.

I dig that.

Starting this month 1 check will cover all my 85% of my bills. I'm geeked for that but now saving is the biggest part I will face.

COL and weather will always keep me from going north of NC.

If I was to go anywhere I'm going south to Charlotte, ATL, Houston, Dallas or west to Cali.

Last edited:
1. Start looking for a job BEFORE you move, some people are willing do to an interview over Skype.

2. Just do it man, rent out a room for the first three months or so and check everything out so you know if you don't like it you haven't signed a lease and you can always move back home or somewhere else!

3. That's literally it my dude.

If you do decide to move and don't have a lot of stuff it's cheaper to ship all your stuff (hit me up I can get you good discounts with USPS) and just fly there.

I'm moving to central Florida in Februaury. I'm staying with a good friend and his family until I can find a job and me and my boy can find an apartment.

I graduated from college in MS in 2011

Went back home to GA ...

Moved to MT 2 months later

Currently ploting the next move. I loved it in Florida when I was in school there

Last edited:
would love to move...DC urea is too warm for me, need cold temps to be comfortable

I have this nagging suspicioum that you're like... This super chill *** dude that get yambs, makes great money, all your married friends are jealous of you, and you wear new balance 574s...

How old are you bruh ?

nerd.gif

I thought about DC as a landing spot but that COL is new York lime without all the fly **** new York has.
laugh.gif
We have better job opportunities than NY tho.....

Of course its expensive. Its a demanding area to live.

Have done it plenty of times. My recent was from NorCal to AZ. It's a journey my friend and will help determine what your about as a man!

Thanks for the advice folks. The main thing I was worried about is finding a gig. The jobs that I'm looking for (IT) are looking way more plentiful elsewhere. Worse come to worse I'll be back but not really trying to do that.

I decided to move from VA to NY with little to no thought (literally decided overnight). I lined up a job after about a week of looking and moved in with a friend. Got my own apartment (with a roommate of course) about a month later and flourished.

Do it.
Especially while you're still youngish, Patten.

The government tho, You hot :lol: where you been?!

I'm from LA and i moved to Georgia.
The weather was wack, there wasn't much to do where i was at (Calhoun).
A lot of the kids my age just smoked and drank for fun.
Overall, i hated it. So i came back to LA 
nthat.gif

Back
Top Bottom