Everyone post your favorite 80's hits! Vol. one at a time & post story of when u 1st heard song

Metallica :smokin

When i was growing up my family loves rock and I didn't until one summer in early 90s when my pops and uncle went to a Guns and Roses concert in Oakland.

I wanted to see what was the big deal was with rock. I popped in one of my pops rock concert VHS tape which was a DIO concert, watched it, and it was :wow: :smokin.Its crazy how they be fulling those stadiums up for a concert.

Concerts back then was dope. I wish I was more open mind to music. Maybe I would have gone to one of those rock concerts.....still love rock music more than anything else today

DIO

r.i.p. ronnie james

Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen

This is another album by pops used to blast...

Metallica - Fade To Black

If you mentioned Metallica, how could this song not be posted? I was listening to a lot of rap & punk back then, but had a friend whose older sister listened to a lot of metal & this album was good... Always enjoyed Lars drumming being intro'd at the beginning& how this song "builded" into the crunch of the power chords... [head banging in my office cubicle with head phones on throwing up the metal hands signs].....

Metallica - One & Orion

Forgot about these. I've always had great speakers in the house & the kick drum on One is crazy... It used to knock my cat if he was standing close to the speaker...

Rodrigo y Gabriela One

I know this isn't from the 90s, but had to post this amazing cover.

Last edited:
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now & Well I Wonder

Manchester band continuing the tradition of Joy Division/New Order. I was listening to rap & punk at the time but whenever I visited my cousins they were playing alternative bands like this..

The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored & Fools Gold

Another Manchester band. Band came after Joy Division/New Order & just before Oasis. Bridged together the 2 eras if you will.

Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes

I remember my father bringing home this album on CD. He had me open the packaged. Do any old heads remember that CDs used to be packed in those rectangular boxes. They were supposed to help prevent theft... What an iconic album. Not many people can blend African music in a accessible pop format (this & Paul Simon's Graceland). Who would've thought a song featuring Senegalese singer Youssou N'Dour would be such a monster hit?

Last edited:
Rick Springfield - Jesse's Girl

One of my cousin's used to love this dude. His music & when he was on General Hospital. This song always reminds me of her & hanging out at her house. What great use of the song in the scene from Boogie Nights...

good ol vice city...
smokin.gif

Boogie Down Productions
-Love's Gonna Getcha
-The Bridge is Over
To this day I believe these two tracks are the "blueprint" (wink wink) to how a hip-hop track should sound...the art of story telling, and the raw battle track.
Growing up in the 80's, and my dad being single, I was given the honor of throwing on the vinyl while he got ready for a night out...word to Purple Rain on HEAVY rotation. Good times

Arguably my favorite band ever. First time I heard it was October 3 years ago when I decided to give other genres a listen.

Godley and Creme - Cry

I remember hearing this song for the first time on Miami Vice. Man, I used to think that show was such high drama. Looking back now I chuckle at the melodramtic tone of the show but you gotta love Michael Mann. For hardcore Michael Mann fans, check out a great 80s movie called Band Of The Hand.

I later saw the video which kinda creeped me out & fascinated me...

Talk Talk - It's My Life & Life's What You Make It

It was an affable version, but I really hated the No Doubt cover. The original is just too good. Very underrated band from the 80s... Had to post the second song too. Their last studio album Laughing Stock is a headphone master piece...

Hot 97, Belly....hell I'm sure you'll hear this and it's acapella version on any urban radio station throughout the world. Certified classic.

Back
Top Bottom