Excessive Demands from S.Carter @ Def Jam Vol. Eric B. For President?

Jay-Z's Def Jam Demands Said To Be ''Excessive''
Thursday - December 6, 2007 by Brandi Hopper
Jay-Z

Jay-Z's Def Jam contract expires at the end of this month but renewal negotiations between the mogul and parent company, Universal Music, have reportedlyreached an impasse.

"He wanted big, big money that was way out of sync with the realities of today's record business," a source told the New York's Daily News.

"People have lost count of how many times he's come out of retirement," the source said. "Everybody knows he's not around the officemuch. Everybody at Universal loves him, but they can't justify paying him the money he wants when so many people have been laid off."

In light of the little time Jay's been spending on tour, Island/Def Jam CEO L.A. Reid and his boss, Doug Morris, are said to have found Jay's demands"excessive."

But friends of Hov rebuffed the claim that Reid and Morris have had it with Jay, saying, "They are still actively negotiating,"

One person close to Jay said, "The talks will continue when [Hov] returns to New York. They still have a ways to go before a decision."

The rapper-turned-CEO recently celebrated his 38th birthday in Paris.

source: http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/13157

So if dude gets da boot who do you think can restore Def Jam's legacy as the best hip hop label? Who would be a good fit for President?

JD? Dame Dash? Diddy?
laugh.gif

Discuss

smokin.gif

it was a bad idea for Def Jam to give him that contract in the first place. Dude is a rapper NOT a president of a record label period. everyone knew jay wasntdoin ishhh for DJ. He never promoted his artists unless it was HIM or KANYE. How many times have we heard rappers on DJ say that the "big homie" aintdoin his job. There so many artists on that label that have 0 buzz right now. its sad cause Def Jam has become the graveyard label. And NT was
roll.gif
whenthey saw the LL Cool J interview with him talkin about J. You all were crackin jokes and sayin LL was mad. Doesnt matter though, Jay-z stans will make anexcuse for this.

why does everyone point the finger at Jay for lack of promotion? I never once heard anybody say anything about LA, yet he probably has more power than Jaydoes.

Originally Posted by avitale8

why does everyone point the finger at Jay for lack of promotion? I never once heard anybody say anything about LA, yet he probably has more power than Jay does.
because he's jay-z...

Irv Gotti was said to be the og canidate... would make sense to give him the job now if Jay ask for A-Rod figures

I think Irv would be a good choice, as long as he doesn't try to make Ja the franchise player

I'd put money Def Jam is satisfied with what Hov has done with Def Jam. Only dudes that don't like Hov in that spot are bitter rappers who are nolonger relevant and fans of those bitter rappers.

Def Jam is no longer a movement . . . All the good execs of the past have moved on, had Irv Gotti gotten that job like he was suppose to, he would've beenon the move by now too . . .

I'd put money Def Jam is satisfied with what Hov has done with Def Jam. Only dudes that don't like Hov in that spot are bitter rappers who are no longer relevant and fans of those bitter rappers.

Truth.

Only dudes that don't like Hov in that spot are bitter rappers who are no longer relevant and fans of those bitter rappers.

so who is relevant on that roster? (according to NT)
jay
kanye
rick ross
jeezy? (wasnt he complainin about somethin)

isnt it the labels job to make someone relevant?

Originally Posted by avitale8

why does everyone point the finger at Jay for lack of promotion? I never once heard anybody say anything about LA, yet he probably has more power than Jay does.

I blame LA Reid for hirinig Jigga it was a big mistake and if you look at it now its still a big mistake, its just gettin worse. I wouldnt be surprised ifthis is just an exscuse to let Jigga go anyway and yea I did forget about Irv Gotti I heard he was front runner and thats what somebody has been sayineverytime this topic comes up. I wonder how he feels about it.

Nobody(especially Ol Man Jigga stans) can look at this with a non-bias anymore make exscuse after exscuse. At times I wanna go back n blame Russel for lettinthis happen in the 1st place he shoulda tried and find a way to keep DJ in the family give it to Rev or some other family member willing to take on thischallenge. I was tight when Rick left years before that but its a business and thats how things go. Hopefully whoever gets hired does better than thisgraveyard regime(almost as bad as Bush's in terms of failures). The reason why ppl point the finger at Jigga tho cuz I think everybody knows he was hiredonly as a figure head, so when the ship goes down they look at the person who has the title of being in charge "President"

smokin.gif

bdef jam was on shaky ground before jay z took the job.

it's not in any better condition, much worse actually

oh he's just a figurehead? then why take the job if you're not going to execute?

a real businessman should take the helm, not a business, man

DJ went wrong when they got rid of the other two dudes kevin and...(drawing a blank).What the need to do is down size,get rid of the exec's with big nameswho want big money that they cant pay them(AL,Jay)and go back to what defjam was before they tried crossing over.Dont sign artist unless they allready have afanbase and who travel outside of their area,sign artist that can promote themselves just as much as the lable does(youtube,tv,radio,mixtapes...ect) and forgod sakes HIT THE STREETS,THE CLUBS AND ANY BIG EVENT AND PROMOTE.

People don't blame LA Reid because he has never been a master at breaking hip hop acts (he didn't even wanna sign Outkast), R&B is his thing, theRhianna's, Neyo's and such . . . If their sales were as dismal as the rappers there would prolly be people complaining on that end, but itsspecifically the rappers that are suffering there, amd more specifically artists from the east coast, you would've thought having one of their peers in theposition of power could possibly change some things . . . But they seem to have gotten worse . . . Besides Outkast, I don;t remember another sucussful hip hopact coming from under LaFace . . . And with Jay, I guess they looked at it as he was responsible for what happened at Roc A Fella, and the "success"of their other artists (non which being R&B), so its clear why each of them are at IDJ, LA Reid for the R&B acts, Jay Z for the hip hop acts . . . Thehip hop acts is doing terrible, so people blame Jay Z

Quick question, has anyone thought about blaming the fans for not actually buying the music and/or the actual artist for not making a product fans like??

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Quick question, has anyone thought about blaming the fans for not actually buying the music and/or the actual artist for not making a product fans like??

We all know that and thats just one of the problems but thats not the topic at hand. Its hard for fans to not like the product when they don't evenknow there's a product to buy.

smokin.gif

has anyone thought about blaming the fans for not actually buying the music and/or the actual artist for not making a product fans like??

No,I think the records companies have been getting over like fat rats for to long and it was as if the "fans"were zombie and they thought they wouldbuy anything as long as it was stamped and approved.But thats not the case in 2007 and the fact that technology was moving much faster than they were,theybecame slackers and now they dont have control over it anymore and the zombies aren't zombies anymore,WE BUY/SUPPORT WHAT WE WANT.
pimp.gif

We all know that and thats just one of the problems but thats not the topic at hand. Its hard for fans to not like the product when they don't even know there's a product to buy.
Dudes is dropping albums with NO videos . . . Like if you're not willing to spend the appropriate amount of money for an artist to besuccessful why even have him onboard?? I mean if someone's on Def Jam they can push atleast 200K . . . Give em their music and let them take that $+%# toKoch . . . When Russ, Kev Liles and Lyor was there they had that Survival Of The Fittest tour, and that was basically giving there non commercial acts anoppurtunity to tour the nation . . . And them dudes was still all goin gold. Dudes ain't even selling that over there . . . Now its like Def Jam no longerknows how to market hip hop . . .

has anyone thought about blaming the fans for not actually buying the music and/or the actual artist for not making a product fans like??
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

These Hov d-riders kill me.
laugh.gif
Its ok he's not a good president, hecan still be your favorite rapper.
wink.gif

Jay should have never got that title. I think it creates a conflict of interest.

I think Irv would be good for that spot. He's had better success at breaking new acts.

Dej Jam has bout 6 Heavyweights in the Rap game who they make their money off everybody else is tax writeoff!

JayZ
Ludacris
Jeezy
Rick Ross
Kanye

Plus Other Acts:
Rihana
Mariah Carey
Bon Jovi
Neyo

Those are the cash cows everybody else is just every else
Tg

Originally Posted by BHPbadboi

Dej Jam has bout 6 Heavyweights in the Rap game who they make their money off everybody else is tax writeoff!

JayZ
Ludacris
Jeezy
Rick Ross

Kanye

Plus Other Acts:
Rihana
Mariah Carey
Bon Jovi
Neyo

Those are the cash cows everybody else is just every else
Tg