Extreme Makeover doesn't pay for/pay off the houses they build? vol read the fine print

I agree with Dirty that EM can't really be blamed for the families trying to squeeze more outta the house post fix up, but they can be blamed for thesituation overall. The families chosen all seem to have some financial burden, what sense does it make to take their house modify it, now you're in thesame situation as before now with a prettier house? and can you blame them for using what they have to help alleviate some of their debt issues?

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

not surprised

grin.gif

Originally Posted by MJsaver

wow, thats messed up.

I blame EM 1st and foremost, they know these faminlies are in tough financial situations.

They give the appearance that theyre solving all the families problems.

Why not just make A FEW MODEST IMPROVEMENTS TO THE HOME
MODEST MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION

Sounds like a winner.

Originally Posted by starbury03

Originally Posted by MJsaver

wow, thats messed up.

I blame EM 1st and foremost, they know these faminlies are in tough financial situations.

They give the appearance that theyre solving all the families problems.

Why not just make A FEW MODEST IMPROVEMENTS TO THE HOME
MODEST MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION

Sounds like a winner.
roll.gif

You are all missing the point. The mortgage didn't all of a sudden increase when they improved the house, the mortgage stayed the same. The balance theyowed on the house never changed when EM fixed it up. What did change, is the VALUE of the home, thus increasing their property tax. THIS is where the rub comesin. With higher tax rates and utility bills, these families apparently refinanced the equity of the new home, to get cash to settle the increased tax bill...NOT the fault of EM.

Doesn't surprise me anyways. There are so many people ignorant of personal finances that I'm sure this type of mismanagement happens all the time.

wow this is truly sad...most of these families have already been rocked by tragedy...then to be lifted up...and later crushed by foreclosure...
I think the idea of helping these families is wonderful...many times the show has touched my heart...so I feel that they are doing good...but can more be done?
As far as families turning their homes into collateral for other expenses...that is simply a bad move...which often results in trouble
-sf77

There are many people facing foreclosures due to financial hardships and/or poor decisions. This doesn't exempt people who were helped out by EM.

Originally Posted by digitalO22

There are many people facing foreclosures due to financial hardships and/or poor decisions. This doesn't exempt people who were helped out by EM.

That's what im thinking. They probably already had a bad loan to begin with. If they re-financed to take money out after the fix up..well that's kindatheir bad at that point
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by damnneardeadstock

I think the OP is more mad at the fact that they are using a family's tragic story to play on the hearts of viewers, just to boost ratings, when in the end, they aren't helping the family at all. They're in a sense making it worse for them, simply using them, when if they really cared about them, they just woulda gave them money to help them.
Exactly, well put

how did EM do them a favor for building them a new house? All they did was decide what they thought was best for the house and than hired some workers to make their fantasy plan a reality. I never heard of these house designers before and seeing how EM is so cheap they were probably intern designers.
tired.gif

Everything was volunteers. They set up a station in the parking lot of what used to be a grocery store where everyone came back to get water, food, whateverkind of supplies they needed as well as where ABC kept their video equipment and had some trailers, i believe the crew stayed there instead of a hotel. Peoplewould bring water, home cooked food, whatever to them there.

I have a friend named Billy who when he got back from Iraq, had a house built for him and his family by Habitat 4 Humanity in Muncie, Indiana, but I'mfairly sure they gave it to them, like free and clear. That's kind of personal and we're not so close that I would call him and ask him, but I'mpretty sure.

Here's a pic
aWe9fUodWr3QtzadbiFPIU-medium.jpg

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

You are all missing the point. The mortgage didn't all of a sudden increase when they improved the house, the mortgage stayed the same. The balance they owed on the house never changed when EM fixed it up. What did change, is the VALUE of the home, thus increasing their property tax. THIS is where the rub comes in. With higher tax rates and utility bills, these families apparently refinanced the equity of the new home, to get cash to settle the increased tax bill... NOT the fault of EM.

Doesn't surprise me anyways. There are so many people ignorant of personal finances that I'm sure this type of mismanagement happens all the time.
actually...from what I've read..EM sets up a trust to help with the increased tax bill.

and yes... the MORTGAGE DOES NOT GO UP... the VALUE / EQUITY of the home does...
If they don't refinane...their mortgage stays the same.

It's not a huge favor because they can't pay for it, most of them can't pay for the house they are already in.
Where do you get that idea?...I'm a casual watcher and none of the shows portray the people in dire financial need...they portray as people ina bad situation, eg blind kids, disable kids, or someone extremely giving/charitable.

And would you really buy a nice house in a decent at best neighborhood, only to have to almost completely gut the inside because you don't have the need for wheel chair ramps, 2 foot countertops, and whatever else Em did?

These people know exactly what they're getting into when THEY contact EM. I'm sure they're not going into things blind as to what EMis going to do to their house.

Can we at least agree they could have checked to be sure what they are doing doesn't violate building codes?
I'm pretty sure that all the work they do is inspected and up to code...they wouldn't be able to do the show otherwise... code violationsget past inspectors b/c people do things on the sly... with a show like EM... the whole town is aware. They're not going to slip anything by the buildinginspectors

if you're referring to the story where the lady has the fines due to code violations... did you even read that account of what happened?
again I quote:
The show gave the $400,000 home and office in Altamonte Springs, Fla., to Holmes in February 2006. Holmes, who runs a nonprofit called Sadie Holmes Help Services from the home, says she cannot afford to pay off the lien and keep current on her $6,000 a year in property taxes.

The violations began to accumulate after Holmes, a former drug addict and single mother of five children, moved into the home and received permission from Seminole county to run a volunteer organization from it. Sadie Holmes Help Services collects clothing, food and furniture and distributes them to people in need.

Running the organization from the property required that Holmes screen from view any materials stored outside, the paper said. By September 2007, the Sentinel reported, a code-enforcement officer began filing violations for overgrown grass and because such things as portable restrooms, an over-sized truck and abandoned vehicles were allegedly stored on it in full view Holmes said she began receiving visits from the officer as early as two months after she moved in.

Those violations have NOTHING to do with EM. That was HER fault for not abiding by the town's rules regarding running the business from herhome.

ps.
If your house is larger , bigger payments . That's common knowledge .
again... this is completely wrong.
The original mortgage stays.. the house's equity is what increases.

also... re: the Harpers.
It turns out that after such a tremendous bounty is showered upon grateful and lucky families such as the Harpers, these folks are sent along their merry way. They are on their own financially, after the show bestows upon them a gold mine that turns very quickly into a money pit.
ABC said in a statement that it advises each family to consult a financial planner after they get their new home. "Ultimately, financial matters are personal, and we work to respect the privacy of the families," the network said.

How could fortunes change so drastically in three years' time?

so again?....how is this the fault of EM?

and the writing of that is crap... a gold mine that turns into a money pit?...but they fail to say how so
it turns into a money pit b/c of POOR FINANCIAL choices by the owners.

yeah, i hate all these shoes
but more info on pimp my ride owuld be appreciated, i heard u have to let them take it to all their shows too

It's not a huge favor because they can't pay for it, most of them can't pay for the house they are already in.
Ok these people can always say no to having these houses built...remember THEY request EM's help.

They're in a sense making it worse for them, simply using them, when if they really cared about them, they just woulda gave them money to help them.
giving them money would not have suddenly imparted these people with the knowledge they needed to make good decisions with their blessing.

I feel bad that these folks are falling on hard times but I don't sympathize. Nearly all of these situations (except the ladies husband dying) could havebeen avoided by them acquiring some basic homeownership knowledge that is readily available from a number of sources. There is a thing called personalresponsibility, these people could have arranged it where the house that was built was within their means to afford. I am pretty sure ABC's response wouldnot have been...absolutely not, we are building you Neverland Ranch and you are going to like it.

The gift of a house is huge, it is the gift receiver's responsibility to learn how to properly receive that gift and use if for their greater good.

Back
Top Bottom