F-18 Crashes into Apartment complex in Virginia Beach

http://www.wavy.com/gener...AVY_Newscast_Live_Stream

its the Mayfair Mews Complex apartments. Old person home too
(RNN) - An F-18 military fight jet crashed into an apartment building near Virginia Beach on Friday. The two-man crew ejected. So far, there are no casualties reported.

A spokesperson with the Navy told WAVY.com that the plane was an F18 Strike fighter squadron 106 and that two aircrew safely ejected from the plane that was based in Oceana.

An eyewitness to the plane crash, George Pilkington, told CNN that within two or 300 yards of where the plane crashed, the aircraft emptied its jet fuel, with its nose up, and crashed into the apartment building.

"One building was completely leveled, and debris was just flying into the other buildings," he said.

Pilkington said there were a couple of large explosions after the crash, and people fled the scene.

"Right when I saw it, I knew something was wrong," he said. The airplane was making a sound that sounded as if the engine was malfunctioning.

The area where the plane crashed is one-half mile from Virginia Beach oceanfront, with many homes and resort complexes.

Edit : pics http://www.wvec.com/home/...&c=y&c=y&c=y

I doubt they would make it public if there were a lot of casualties. They wouldn't want the public feeling like they're at risk from their own military. Even though we are...

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Errbody getting paid....ERRRBODY!
The story is serious, but this *!*! made me laugh out loud when I read it
roll.gif

intredasting as to what happened though...

were the pilots up to some trickery or did this $70 million piece of equipment go dumb?

Originally Posted by thisizdray

So much for civilian saftey before you eject....

They dumped their jet fuel, and mad an attempt to level the plane and decrease impact velocity.

What more could they have done? Did you not read the article? These guys have families to come home too as well
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by y0ung j33zy

I live around where that happened, police straight SHUTDOWN the highway

264 & 64 straight parking lot status.

No casualties as of yet, which is good.

I bet the tourists at the beach start looking up even more every time they hear a jet now...

Maaaan 64 ain't no joke eastbound..glad I'm headed to norfolk...

Nd it want an old folks home...sooo...change that...

im not a religious person per say...but the only way I cab explain how NOBODY died is by Gods grace...fighter jet completely levels an entire apt complex with NO casualties? cmon maan...

that check from uncle sam is gonna leave all those tenants good...reeeaaal good...

nt mini 757 summit on bonney rd? Lol..

eek.gif
at those pics. It almost makes you wonder what the likelihood of that happening to your neighborhood is.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

They dumped their jet fuel, and mad an attempt to level the plane and decrease impact velocity.

pimp.gif
 These dudes doing what they can to minimize the damage.  They probably risked their own lives by ejecting at a lower altitude than they should have. 

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by thisizdray

So much for civilian saftey before you eject....

What more could they have done? Did you not read the article? These guys have families to come home too as well
laugh.gif

Schleck says a local neighborhood child was able to obtain a knife to cut the paracord that was reportedly used to free the Navy pilot. One of the pilots was reportedly still attached to his parachute, which was entangled with the burning apartment building.

The pilot was quoted as saying "I'm soo sorry I crashed into your building" while apparently still strapped into the ejection seat as civilians carried him out of the rubble of the building. So they ejected LOW. After the canopy opens there is a trigger to drop the seat. So he hit the ground before the trigger went off.

"He apologized for hitting our building," said Pat Kavanaugh.

I imagine dude walking from the wreck like "oops, my bad." 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom