F yall Dressing Better cats...name a better...

The maturity question:

That part of it is all about social construct (note that I never made the point about maturity, but I do agree with it).

To me part of maturity is understanding what is frowned upon in society, and staying away from it. When you mature, you stop speeding through your neighborhood, you turn down your music a bit, etc.

Dressing better is part of that, although to me it's much less of a big deal. Society has decided in most places, for better or worse, that a certain degree of formality is appropriate when one leaves their house. Basketball shorts and a t-shirt are about as unformal as it gets, so they're deemed to be somewhat immature.

This is where I think ksteezy's point about "not giving a damb" comes in. It's not necessarily that you're wrong for what you wear, but you are certainly going against what society views as a mature manner of dress. Does this matter? It's up to you. You don't have to give a damb what society views as mature, but maybe you do.

Also, to make clear, I personally wear basketball shorts and a t-shirt out of the house often, but I feel like I probably draw then line at a different place. Grocery stores, post office, friend's place, picking up food = no problem. Any sort of sit down place, school, movies, = a bit more formal.

In this regard I do care what society views as appropriate, because to me it's a matter of respecting others and respecting social mores. Not judging anyone that feels differently.

The maturity question:

That part of it is all about social construct (note that I never made the point about maturity, but I do agree with it).

To me part of maturity is understanding what is frowned upon in society, and staying away from it. When you mature, you stop speeding through your neighborhood, you turn down your music a bit, etc.

Dressing better is part of that, although to me it's much less of a big deal. Society has decided in most places, for better or worse, that a certain degree of formality is appropriate when one leaves their house. Basketball shorts and a t-shirt are about as unformal as it gets, so they're deemed to be somewhat immature.

This is where I think ksteezy's point about "not giving a damb" comes in. It's not necessarily that you're wrong for what you wear, but you are certainly going against what society views as a mature manner of dress. Does this matter? It's up to you. You don't have to give a damb what society views as mature, but maybe you do.

Also, to make clear, I personally wear basketball shorts and a t-shirt out of the house often, but I feel like I probably draw then line at a different place. Grocery stores, post office, friend's place, picking up food = no problem. Any sort of sit down place, school, movies, = a bit more formal.

In this regard I do care what society views as appropriate, because to me it's a matter of respecting others and respecting social mores. Not judging anyone that feels differently.

Originally Posted by Honest Abe Lives

Ya'll missing the point.

Different environments/cultures call for different dress.

If you live in the hood or an urban area by all means, feel free to dress like a hooper. Girls from the neighborhoods like that. If you resemble anything close to an actual baller, even better.

If you live in an environment where "the baller" is not held on a pedestal, then dress accordingly.

I went to a urban HS where it was standard to dress in the "hooper" style. A lot of my friends from back in the day still dress like that. But I moved out of the hood and now I'm in "mainstream America" where dressing better will matter A LOT and get me places, and will help people identify with me.

If I'm at an industry event, I'm dressing better.
If I'm going to a hip-hop show, I'll go with streetwear.
If I'm on a date, I'm dressing better (even moreso with a classy chick).
If I'm hanging out in my old neighborhood, I'm going with the hooper look.

So for example, ninjahood is never in any situations where dressing better could benefit him, so of course he doesn't care about it.
definitely not true.......

Ya'll missing the point.

Different environments/cultures call for different dress.

If you live in the hood or an urban area by all means, feel free to dress like a hooper. Girls from the neighborhoods like that. If you resemble anything close to an actual baller, even better.

If you live in an environment where "the baller" is not held on a pedestal, then dress accordingly.

I went to a urban HS where it was standard to dress in the "hooper" style. A lot of my friends from back in the day still dress like that. But I moved out of the hood and now I'm in "mainstream America" where dressing better will matter A LOT and get me places, and will help people identify with me.

If I'm at an industry event, I'm dressing better.
If I'm going to a hip-hop show, I'll go with streetwear.
If I'm on a date, I'm dressing better (even moreso with a classy chick).
If I'm hanging out in my old neighborhood, I'm going with the hooper look.

So for example, ninjahood is never in any situations where dressing better could benefit him, so of course he doesn't care about it.
definitely not true.......

laugh.gif
@people who think what one wears determines how grown up/mature they are

some of you have A LOT to learn about life

laugh.gif
@people who think what one wears determines how grown up/mature they are

some of you have A LOT to learn about life

@Persia, did you see the list of places that I mentioned that I would wear basketball shorts. I said Spring/Summer for one. Cookouts, grocery stores, and the informal places that you named.

My question was really for the dude with the Kobe Gun Avatar, he said people won't take me serious. Can you let me know what he means by that? People taking me serious in informal spots is really a concern?

I wouldn't wear basketball shorts to a sit down and I don't think anyone else here would.

@Persia, did you see the list of places that I mentioned that I would wear basketball shorts. I said Spring/Summer for one. Cookouts, grocery stores, and the informal places that you named.

My question was really for the dude with the Kobe Gun Avatar, he said people won't take me serious. Can you let me know what he means by that? People taking me serious in informal spots is really a concern?

I wouldn't wear basketball shorts to a sit down and I don't think anyone else here would.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

I seen a barber with ball shorts under his jeans

Why?

idk why,but my guess is that if a situation arose in which they had the chance to hoop they would be prepared.

i know a lot of people did this in HS and i always assumed that.

Why?

idk why,but my guess is that if a situation arose in which they had the chance to hoop they would be prepared.

didnt know this was a look...

playing organized ball my entire life... i just did it cuz i aint have nothing else to wear.

however... i'm going to be 22...

i still wear "hooper" look to class....

but that's about it....

didnt know this was a look...

playing organized ball my entire life... i just did it cuz i aint have nothing else to wear.

however... i'm going to be 22...

i still wear "hooper" look to class....

but that's about it....

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

Why?

I always wear bball shorts under my jeans. Why ?

- Maybe habit, but Feelsgoodman.jpg 
pimp.gif

- Gym/ball whenever 

- Be ready to chill comfortably whenever

- Warmer in the winter 

I never wear jeans in the summer so heat isn't an issue. 

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

Why?

I always wear bball shorts under my jeans. Why ?

- Maybe habit, but Feelsgoodman.jpg 
pimp.gif

- Gym/ball whenever 

- Be ready to chill comfortably whenever

- Warmer in the winter 

I never wear jeans in the summer so heat isn't an issue. 

Back
Top Bottom