Fantasy Basketball question: how does a keeper draft work?

Mods move to general if appropriate.

Last year I set up a keeper league. Since it was the first year, it went about like a regular league.

Now it's time to set it up for the next year. On Yahoo they provide no details on how it works, so I figure I'd ask here.

Managers can select the players they want to keep and I will confirm it once they've done it. I said 3 players.

So when I get to the draft, how does it work? I see I can set the draft order...

is there a certain way to position teams based on who they keep, or have them give up a certain pick? (i.e. if someone selected Kyrie 5th last year, they give up their 5th pick this year)

Or does it just go about like a regular draft, just 3 rounds less since every team has kept 3 players?

Thanks for the help

Typically you would have to either a) preload the keepers on peoples teams, or b) they would have to select them prior to the draft. After that process is complete, the last three rounds of the draft are automatically set up to have each team draft their keepers. At least this is how its defaulted for Yahoo football.

As far as your Kyrie Irving example goes, that all depends on how you want your league set up. My keeper leagues dont have the stipulation about when a player is drafted, but I know some do. I think that would just get a little hairy when drafting the next year (example: I picked Lebron in the first round, but also traded for Dwight Howard who was someone else's first round pick. What to do now?)

I've only done one keeper league and its been in fantasy football, and we did the draft auction style, so I don't know how much help it'll be.

The keeper rules were that you could keep up to three players for the next year and pay $10 more than what you paid when they were drafted. Like I got Cam for $1 last year and kept him for $11 this year and said screw everyone else I had.

I'm not sure how it'll work in a traditional draft. I'd assume Lebron and KD would never be on the block and the same person would just keep them every year and give up that first round pick, whereas in the auction style the best players would typically be too costly to keep so they would go back in the pool and everyone would have a chance at them. For example, if Aaron Rodgers goes for $60 in year one, which might be about his market value, but you wouldn't keep him the next year for $70 because you're really hindering your team and who else you're gonna be able to bid on.

The issue I'd make sure about before starting a keeper league is that everyone participating in it will be committed to the league for the continuing seasons as well.

^ True. Thanks for the help.

Any ideas on how I should set the draft order? Do people usually set them based on last year's standings, or do they account for what players they decided to keep? (though like the guy above said, this will get hairy)

Back
Top Bottom