FCC Dismantling Net Neutrality Rules vol. **** AJIT PAI

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html

The Federal Communications Commission announced on Tuesday that it planned to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet, clearing the way for companies to charge more and block access to some websites.

The proposal, put forward by the F.C.C. chairman, Ajit Pai, is a sweeping repeal of rules put in place by the Obama administration. The rules prohibited high-speed internet service providers from blocking or slowing down the delivery of websites, or charging extra fees for the best quality of streaming and other internet services for their subscribers. Those limits are central to the concept called net neutrality.

The action immediately reignited a loud and furious fight over free speech and the control of the internet, pitting telecom giants like AT&T against internet giants like Google and Amazon, who warn against powerful telecom gatekeepers. Both sides are expected to lobby hard in Washington to push their agendas, as they did when the existing rules were adopted.

“Under my proposal, the federal government will stop micromanaging the internet,” Mr. Pai said in a statement. “Instead, the F.C.C. would simply require internet service providers to be transparent about their practices so that consumers can buy the service plan that’s best for them and entrepreneurs and other small businesses can have the technical information they need to innovate.”

The proposal from Mr. Pai, a Republican, is widely expected to be approved during a Dec. 14 meeting in a 3-to-2 party line vote from the agency’s five commissioners. But some companies will probably put up a legal fight, or actions by lawmakers, to prevent it from taking hold.

The plan to repeal the existing rules, passed in 2015, also reverses a hallmark decision by the agency to declare broadband as a service as essential as phones and electricity. That move created the legal foundation for the current rules and underscored the importance of high-speed internet service to the nation. It was put in place by Tom Wheeler, an F.C.C. chairman under President Barack Obama.

Mr. Pai signaled his intention to dismantle the existing rules in April. The action on Tuesday by Mr. Pai, who was appointed chairman by President Trump, is the centerpiece of a deregulatory agenda that has also stripped television broadcasters, newspapers and telecom companies of a broad range of regulations meant to protect the public interest.

The telecom companies on Tuesday cheered Mr. Pai’s proposal.

“The removal of antiquated, restrictive regulations will pave the way for broadband network investment, expansion and upgrades,” said Jonathan Spalter, the chief executive of USTelecom, an industry lobbying group.

But consumer advocacy groups and Democratic lawmakers said the move would harm consumers and internet businesses that have relied on the rules to ensure all content is equally available, and to make sure that speech is not stifled by broadband companies putting up barriers to certain internet sites.

Consumer groups say broadband companies have been incredibly profitable under the net neutrality rules and have expanded their networks into new communities and with faster speeds, despite complaints the rules hamper their businesses.

“Your internet service provider will be free to make online fast lanes and favor the content of its choice,” said Gigi Sohn, a former senior adviser to Mr. Wheeler at the F.C.C. “That it will take away your control of your internet experience and give it to Comcast, AT&T and Verizon.”

Yep, **** Ajit Pai.

This will be in place until a Democrat is president again. The fight won't be over until Congress decides on way or the other.

So when you guys streams are laggin, Comcast is slowing down your Netflix, or tries to charge you more and more for your internet service, remember to vote.

Last edited:
I remember there being a long thread about this a month or so ago. Cliffs on what could happen?

Text "resist" to 50409! It's a bot that lets you craft a message to your congressional representatives and/or governor, then sends your message to their office as a fax!
Here's what I sent. Another commenter wrote it, and I think it's a great message:

"Net Neutrality is the cornerstone of innovation, free speech and democracy on the Internet. Control over the Internet should remain in the hands of the people who use it every day. The ability to share information without impediment is critical to the progression of technology, science, small business, and culture. Please stand with the public by protecting Net Neutrality once and for all.

Not surprising. Lots of those apps are immensely popular so I'm not surprised that someone is trying to make a buck off of it.
Plus I don't like how people are always on Snapchat and ig. None of my business, I know, but I just see it as an addiction.

if this goes through yall think this decreases internet/social media usage or nah?

I've emailed my senator so many times through so many website campaigns at this point that I half expect that ___ to just hit me pre-emptively like "Yeah, I know" :lol: :smh:

How many damn times will they try to mess with net neutrality before this finally gets deaded.

I've emailed my senator so many times through so many website campaigns at this point that I half expect that ___ to just hit me pre-emptively like "Yeah, I know" :lol: :smh:

How many damn times will they try to mess with net neutrality before this finally gets deaded.
Yeah it occurred to me I've emailed about net neutrality going back 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom