Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

If you recognize it's a stereotype why would you think there isn't any more to it? Whether it was a good or bad stereotype it obviously became one because there was something behind it that caused it to become a stereotype. If you don't want to find out why that's one thing but don't pretend that you didn't know there was more to it and a reason it was a stereotype when you realize it's a stereotype.

I honestly believed it was a common generality. Just like other stereotypes of other races good or bad.
There's pretty much something behind EVERY stereotype even if it is a common generality. For instance, there's a stereotype that black ppl are always late and another where they're lazy. There is something behind that specific stereotype. Same for black men have huge penises. It has a history. It's not just the way it is cuz that's the way it is.

I mean isn't everybody of every race lazy at some point?

Also, even if there isn't some deep history behind a stereotype there's always a reason for why w/e stigma is being applied to a certain race, there's a reason for why that race is singled out. All of these things you can look up with a google search if you actually want to know instead of just thinking that's way it is and then coming in a thread like this dumbfounded.

true, but you know what, can we also state that a stereotype is purely false? Not any truth behind them at all? Or are they just born out of the blue? Talking about EVERY stereotype right now.

If you recognize it's a stereotype why would you think there isn't any more to it? Whether it was a good or bad stereotype it obviously became one because there was something behind it that caused it to become a stereotype. If you don't want to find out why that's one thing but don't pretend that you didn't know there was more to it and a reason it was a stereotype when you realize it's a stereotype.

I honestly believed it was a common generality. Just like other stereotypes of other races good or bad.
There's pretty much something behind EVERY stereotype even if it is a common generality. For instance, there's a stereotype that black ppl are always late and another where they're lazy. There is something behind that specific stereotype. Same for black men have huge penises. It has a history. It's not just the way it is cuz that's the way it is.

Also, even if there isn't some deep history behind a stereotype there's always a reason for why w/e stigma is being applied to a certain race, there's a reason for why that race is singled out. All of these things you can look up with a google search if you actually want to know instead of just thinking that's way it is and then coming in a thread like this dumbfounded.

true, but you know what, can we also state that a stereotype is purely false? Not any truth behind them at all? Or are they just born out of the blue? Talking about EVERY stereotype right now.

Like the one about Asian women having sideways vaginas.

Stereotypes are born from envy and/or hate. All stereotypes--good or bad both effectively remove a person's individuality and categorizes that individual in a pool of stereotypes bred out of history.
Example. Black male.
A "bad stereotype" would include: Criminal, lazy, aggressive, dim.
A "good stereotype" would include: Can dance very well, very athletic, big johnson.

When you look at both, can you really say you'd be cool with the "good" stereotypes? The difference is one type of stereotype is out of hate and the other out of envy, both strip that person of his individuality and throws him in categories we know. Because we freak out when we can't tell what someone is like right?

wait a second, so it's no longer good to be good at something?

"I'm black, so I'm going to go against my stereotype and be bad at sports."

no, but its not good for someone to say, "youre black you should be good at sports". even if its meant to be a good thing, like dude said it strips someone of their individuality. it categorizes someone just because of their race/ethnicity/outward appearance. if you wanna dig deeper/reach a little bit, it dehumanizes someone.

You can't explain away the eyes because that aspect of it is OBVIOUS.  There's nothing "low key" about that.  It's an attempt to mock people with conditions like cerebral palsy.  There is no other reasonable explanation.  To just call it a "silly face and a goofy noise associated with general stupidity" is childish.  Why is the noise part of it?  We all know what's going on there.  It's just tasteless elementary school humor in meme form.  (In other words, par for the course for the forum sites from which it spawned.)  
you're reading way too far into the meaning of derp.

its obvious that you're just grasping at straws to discredit me, i hope people can see that.

& this thread would be 5 pages if people just read thoroughly before replying.
laugh.gif

Why not just have a poll on what to serve as a black history month special? Get some democracy in there.

you're reading way too far into the meaning of derp.

its obvious that you're just grasping at straws to discredit me, i hope people can see that.
Am I thinking too deeply about an obviously infantile 4chan meme?  No, you just didn't think at all.  There is no defense for it, so you just throw up your hands and say "nuh uh!!  because... meme site... south park..."   Yeah, right.  All you have to do is look at the meme images themselves and they destroy any defense you could possibly mount.  

You want to leave it "to the people" to decide, fine.  Everyone here has been to elementary school.  The difference is: some of us grew up. 
it is laughable that you would rather defend the idea that everyone involved in the situation should be labeled as racists and they should all be expected to go do their own research without anyone making an effort to tell them why they were wrong. i fail to see how that helps the situation but from what i have read it seems that you care more about outing people as racists and "ethering" people than joining in on the conversation.
This is really basic, and I imagine you'd have no trouble with it in a different context.  Imagine someone who claims to care about something, but hasn't made ANY effort to learn about it.  It could be sports, it could be music, it could be literature.  It doesn't matter.  They've made no effort to understand it, and yet they've taken a very vocal position on it all the same.  Do you not see the issue there?  I'm not throwing the word "ignorant" around as recklessly as you are.  This is pretty much textbook.  There's no other word for it.

You were sitting here telling people that they had no business being offended by something that you didn't know the first thing about.  You didn't even try to understand it.  That didn't stop you from judging those who were offended.

Let's take a step back.  At the beginning of the thread, you at least knew that people considered this stereotype offensive.  You just didn't know why.  If I asked you the score of the Clippers game last night you'd be well within your rights to say, "uh, can't you just go to nba.com?"  I post the equivalent and suddenly "people like me" are "why there's so much misunderstanding about race in America."  Yeah, that's fair.  Your ignorance is my fault. 

Talk about a reach.   And really, what have I said that's so terrible?  You're acting like I've been some sort of fire-breathing monster in here when all I've done is to point out how certain attitudes and assumptions are offensive.  It's a transparent attempt to shoot the messenger.  

You and several others made offensive statements that were called out as offensive.  Poor you.  

Remind me: what's your solution to the problem?  Education?  Oh.  Right, because I didn't suggest education.  The difference is: you seem to want someone else to do it for you.  You want all of these preconditions.  "Okay, I'll consider possibly becoming interested in caring about this if someone else does all the work and treats me nicely and..."  Right.  

It's pretty obvious who's actually made an effort to try and inform/educate in this thread and who's just made excuses.  To sit there and say that I, among others, have been "counterproductive" because I had the nerve to take offense to offensive statements is baffling. 

They're all purely false for the simple fact that they generalize an entire race. All black ppl do not love watermelon, all Asian ppl are not great at math. Some may be, many may be but that doesn't mean all. That it generalizes all is what makes it a stereotype. It's gotten to the point with stereotypes where they've become the rule and those that don't fit it are somehow the exceptions that prove the rule. That's bull ****.

Last edited:

Am I thinking too deeply about an obviously infantile 4chan meme?  No, you just didn't think at all.  There is no defense for it, so you just throw up your hands and say "nuh uh!!  because... meme site... south park..."   Yeah, right.  All you have to do is look at the meme images themselves and they destroy any defense you could possibly mount.  

You want to leave it "to the people" to decide, fine.  Everyone here has been to elementary school.  The difference is: some of us grew up. 
i didnt think at all? i guess you worded it that way because you thought i wrote, "i think you're reading way to far into the meaning of derp"

you're not even reading posts thoroughly.

and why are you quoting "to the people"? you're not even making sense. you dont have to like me, but at least scramble up a better excuse.

You wouldn't like it at all if a bunch of white ppl who weren't good at sports made fun of you cuz you couldn't dunk, hit a homerun, run fast, or throw a football 40 yards and then constantly made fun of you for it. That's not school ground jokes that'll motivate you, that's deep seeded racism and ignorance.

Last edited:
meth nobody cares that you can copy and paste a bunch of text into posts and sprinkle in lame condescending quips throughout.

you're biased as **** and only enter threads to bash anyone who disagrees with you. i hope you're happy being fat and lonely but a real tough guy on the internet.

its too bad the majority of nt users dont see that, or that they feed into it and ride your **** because theyre too lazy to actually read and find the fallacies in your posts.

meth nobody cares that you can copy and paste a bunch of text into posts and sprinkle in lame condescending quips throughout.
you're biased as **** and only enter threads to bash anyone who disagrees with you. i hope you're happy being fat and lonely but a real tough guy on the internet.
its too bad the majority of nt users dont see that, or that they feed into it and ride your **** because theyre too lazy to actually read and find the fallacies in your posts.

what is he biased against or toward?

dude is crusader for all ignorant self righteous black americans.
and a keyboard warrior.

You realize that Meth isn't Black, right?

If anything, he's a crusader for all ignorant self righteous minorities.

It's just this is thread has to do with Black people.

And would you care to break down the Ignorance? Where exactly is that?

dude is crusader for all ignorant self righteous black americans.

and a keyboard warrior.
Yeah, way to prove me wrong by exposing yourself as a flagrant racist, homophobe, and hypocrite.  

"A keyboard warrior"... from someone who just sent me a PM filled with nothing but a racial slurs - the same one (and I'm sure everyone here can guess which) copied and pasted over and over again.

"Condescending" from someone who tried to talk down to everyone he came across during his not-brief-enough stay on our forums.  

"tough guy on the Internet" from someone who just had a public meltdown and posted a bunch of vile hate speech he wouldn't dare whisper to our faces.

"a frail argument" from someone who so utterly failed to mount a logical defense that he resorted to a pack of slurs and petty insults. 

What a pathetic, cowardly display.  

As for your "threatened" return:  perhaps I'll just have a chat with the folks at Road Runner - you know, the ones who provide your Internet service out there in Poughkeepsie, NY.  I'm fairly certain that hate speech and harassment are against their acceptable use policy. 

They're all purely false for the simple fact that they generalize an entire race. All black ppl do not love watermelon, all Asian ppl are not great at math. Some may be, many may be but that doesn't mean all. That it generalizes all is what makes it a stereotype. It's gotten to the point with stereotypes where they've become the rule and those that don't fit it are somehow the exceptions that prove the rule. That's bull ****.
I took a course In African American studies at Maryland a few years ago. In that course we read the memoirs and diaries of former slaves, slave masters and everything in between. (it was an upper level history course so there is a lot of focus on primary sources.) The notion that blacks are lazy does actually have a bases in truth. Slave  Masters complained of their slaves being lazy because slaves would often engage in minor forms of rebellion. They would run away to other plantations or to a different parts of town to talk and socialize with other slaves they had personal relationships with. This wasn't the same has slaves running away entirely and escaping to the north. Often times these slaves who ran away would come back to the plantation in a day or two. Also many of the slaves wouldn't work as hard as their masters wanted them to. Many of these slave masters were frustrated because their plantations were usually major producers of what ever cash crops that existed at the time (tobacco and cotton) and they paid good money for their slaves. In the diaries of these slave masters they often complained of their slaves being lazy. That is where that stereotype came from.

I do see a got a new pm, guess I know who it's from now. Thought it'd be somebody else thanking me for something I did but oh well.

I took a course In African American studies at Maryland a few years ago. In that course we read the memoirs and diaries of former slaves, slave masters and everything in between. (it was an upper level history course so there is a lot of focus on primary sources.) The notion that blacks are lazy does actually have a bases in truth. Slave  Masters complained of their slaves being lazy because slaves would often engage in minor forms of rebellion. They would run away to other plantations or to a different parts of town to talk and socialize with other slaves they had personal relationships with. This wasn't the same has slaves running away entirely and escaping to the north. Often times these slaves who ran away would come back to the plantation in a day or two. Also many of the slaves wouldn't work as hard as their masters wanted them to. Many of these slave masters were frustrated because their plantations were usually major producers of what ever cash crops that existed at the time (tobacco and cotton) and they paid good money for their slaves. In the diaries of these slave masters they often complained of their slaves being lazy. That is where that stereotype came from.
:rofl:

Excuse a slave for working all day for free but apparently not hard enough that they can't take a break to go socialize cuz master paid so much for them they should be working as hard as possible if they don't want to get a hundred lashes or fed to the dogs.

:rofl:

:stoneface:

That not a stereotype with a basis in truth. That's just the history of the twisted thinking of those who would treat others like property. Regardless, w/e the history the stereotype is something that is made to target all of that race when it does not apply to every single person of that race.

Are you serious??  Did you just try to make a claim that a SLAVE didn't work as hard as he or she ought to by the masters standards??

Are you serious??  Did you just try to make a claim that a SLAVE didn't work as hard as he or she ought to by the masters standards??
Calm down. There were people in this thread making the argument that stereotypes have a basis in truth. They were using it as a reason to defend stereotypes. I'm saying that that is where it comes from. That while it does have a basis in truth when you understand the history of it you realize that it is total bs. That means that you just can't subscribe to every stereotype that exists because you have to understand its history.

Calm down. There were people in this thread making the argument that stereotypes have a basis in truth. They were using it as a reason to defend stereotypes. I'm saying that that is where it comes from. That while it does have a basis in truth when you understand the history of it you realize that it is total bs. That means that you just can't subscribe to every stereotype that exists because you have to understand its history.
I'm perfectly calm but thank you very much for your assumption on the matter champ.  Either way, your write up above was laughable at best.

Back
Top Bottom