Fellas, am I the only person not having a digital business card? My new boss thinks so

Soo, my old boss (a.k.a. the best guy ever) retired last month. The new man in charge seemed okay, but as it turned out, has some ideas of his own. Okay, expected. Only he thinks we are all familiar in advance with what's on his mind and how exactly he wants us to do things. In the meantime, I had a slight change in my position, a technicality basically . So he said like - ok, make sure to update your DBC right away, before you go to that conference next week. I was like what? We don't have digital business cards at our department. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, his reaction! The bottom line is - we're all about to create them and he'll be personally checking if we keep the updated (hello, micromanaging). I'm curious, is having a DBC a must these days? To be fair, I've been with the company for a bit over a year and this is the first big conference I'll attend. Maybe this is a common practice among marketing and sales managers. Is it?

You won't like this :rofl: I've been sharing my digital business card for almost a year now. Can't say if it's that common of a practice, but maany people I met use them. But since there are still clients that prefer a classic paper one, we were advised to embed the DBC QR code on the back of the paper card. I usually decide on the spot which one I'll offer. The safest option could be to have both but since your boss wants you to fully switch, I guess he knows why. It depends on the industry too.
Anyhow, you'll see it's super easy to create a digital business card (and share!) and keep it up to date. For example, we share a bunch of social media stuff (like LinkedIn posts), so we update them once every two months. A piece of cake that takes five minutes. So, I get the need to rant but there's no need to worry, that's what I'm trying to say.

b6f2a34c-94f6-4470-85ff-a74b3ce2e8d7_text.gif

I have myself saved as a contact on my phone, with work email and work number. That tends to do the trick just fine.

I am a bit relieved, I have to say. I thought next time I enter I'll find nothing but DBC seniors & pros :D And btw thanks for the comfort, glad to hear it's at least not tricky and time-consuming F flyicestorm

i’ve never even heard of that till today. i definitely would hand out paper cards if needed - much more likely to actually connect that way imo

Have a friend in sales so am familiar but being in IT at a University no one in my department has one that I know of. Also, your boss seems like a micromanager OP. Had a former manager who came in and just thought he'd start using all the old acronyms from his previous company and expect us to automatically know what they were lol and smh.

Back
Top Bottom