Fess up - who went and saw Tyler Perry's new movie?

Originally Posted by its stanley

Originally Posted by Faint Dj3

Um, I dont pay to see movies unless its gonna be ultra fire, but still TP has talent...dude is funny no matter how much you wanna hate on his gay self. You can honestly say you have seen madea and not bust out laughing??

maybe its a southern black thing...i donnow...but dude is mad funny to me
Yes, I can honestly say I have seen madea and not bust out laughing. The comedy in his movies and tv show are terrible.

swell everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i respect urs and all that feel like u do.
smile.gif
Just like most forms of entertainment if not all, its allsubjectional and depend on what u like and dont like... Im just a big fan of comedy and I know when someone is good or not. And Tyler Perry is a genious whodeserves everything he is getting nowadays. I first saw one of his plays many years ago before you youngins ever heard of him. That stuff was funny then, andits funny now....

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

if this dude was white his name would never be brought up on this site

I mean, the base for Tyler Perry's plays started out as being religious Black folks and has evolved from there. I haven't seen too many Whiteentertainers begin with a predominanetly (read: All) Black fan-base...

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

I mean, a lot of people here are gonna say its ****ery or this and that because of Ben Ballers blog. And I think Ben made some good points. However, I think its highly hypocritical for a lot of cats to say Tyler Perry is so detrimental to the image of the Black community...yet at the same time, they also love and regularly support/listen to rap music. If you want to be FOR positive portrayals of the Black community, thats fine. But do it all the way. Don't pick and choose what you criticize based on what someone on NikeTalk said...

don't generalize rap music on the BS drug/sex/gangsta #@%$. there is plenty of positive rap.

I mean, a lot of people here are gonna say its ****ery or this and that because of Ben Ballers blog. And I think Ben made some good points. However, I think its highly hypocritical for a lot of cats to say Tyler Perry is so detrimental to the image of the Black community...yet at the same time, they also love and regularly support/listen to rap music. If you want to be FOR positive portrayals of the Black community, thats fine. But do it all the way. Don't pick and choose what you criticize based on what someone on NikeTalk said...
preach

i dony understand how the hate is so strong. is it cause he makin millions? i understand if you dont like it but yall seem really upset bout him
laugh.gif

I have NO idea why, but me seeing "Tyler Perry's ____________" makes me want to see it even less. I don't like it when people put their nameson products like that... Yeah I don't know why that bothers me
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

don't generalize rap music on the BS drug/sex/gangsta #@%$. there is plenty of positive rap.
There def is. I admit listen to both the positive and the negative. Its all entertainment to me. However, I've NEVER seen the same outragefrom some on this forum towards the negative rap that I see them express towards Tyler Perry. And to be honest, I truly don't think Tyler Perry'simpact has been as detrimental as that of negative rap on the Black community. And it certainly isn't as bad as some on here are implying. I reallydon't find Perry's movies to be that funny, in fact, most seem to just be re-runs of earlier movies, but come on, lets be realistic about thesituation...

Originally Posted by MetallicNitro

I have NO idea why, but me seeing "Tyler Perry's ____________" makes me want to see it even less. I don't like it when people put their names on products like that... Yeah I don't know why that bothers me
ohwell.gif

Yeah, i feel you on that one....its like, damn, it has automatic shine because M.night shamalyn or Steven Spielberg is attached to this product. but thats theindustry man...whatever they think will add more bucks to the bottom line...they will do.

tyler perry is like the 8th wonder of the world...seriously who is a fan of his? his stuff is not even remotely funny..what a mystery

Originally Posted by ctdaprince

preach

i dony understand how the hate is so strong. is it cause he makin millions? i understand if you dont like it but yall seem really upset bout him
laugh.gif

i'm pretty critical of all crap that gets put out in theatres... but especially him because i feel like it's the same crap, time after time... andpeople are entertained by it. Somehow he's got the support of a major label and major promotion behind him, while great films and more talentedwriters/directors/producers can't get their vastly superior work pushed like that because he's in their way.

I'm not saying he hasn't worked hard and paid dues to get to where he is - but i fel like his act is beyond tired and cannot understand why peoplecontinue supporting this junk. good for him and his hustle, making it and all.. but i don't get it at all, and as i said, i don't know anybody thatDOES get it. not like dude is winning any awards or even getting nominations - but somehow he's making boatloads of money putting out movies thatdon't ever seem to review well. I just don't get it.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by ctdaprince

preach

laugh.gif

i'm pretty critical of all crap that gets put out in theatres... but especially him because i feel like it's the same crap, time after time... and people are entertained by it. Somehow he's got the support of a major label and major promotion behind him, while great films and more talented writers/directors/producers can't get their vastly superior work pushed like that because he's in their way.

I'm not saying he hasn't worked hard and paid dues to get to where he is - but i fel like his act is beyond tired and cannot understand why people continue supporting this junk. good for him and his hustle, making it and all.. but i don't get it at all, and as i said, i don't know anybody that DOES get it. not like dude is winning any awards or even getting nominations - but somehow he's making boatloads of money putting out movies that don't ever seem to review well. I just don't get it.
Firstly, Hollywood is based on $$ and what sells. There's PLENTY of producers and film-directors who put out trash BUT it sells and thus itwill always get play and backing. Hollywood is a business. Hollywood isn't Cannes or the other places where artistic, creative, 'good' movies ruleand dominate. This is Hollywood where money walks and talks. If you can make a film that puts *+@%# in seats, your going to stay in the industry. Is KeanuReeves a good actor? To me? No. But he stays making money because he can put *+@%# in seats, somehow. Have Eddie Murphy's past few movies been good? No,but they put *+@%# in seats. What sells is what sells and thats what rules the land. Tyler Perry is playing the game and as the saying goes, don't hate theplayer, hate the game...

my girl begged me to see it with her and despite me not liking ANY madea movies i enjoyed this one.

Haven't seen it yet, but I enjoy his work. I don't understand where all the hate is coming from. People knock him for dressing up as a woman but so didJamie and no one gets on his back about it. They deliver a lot messages on his shows if you ask me. One of the new "House of Payne" episodes lastweek dealt with violence in the Black community.

Can someone put up some examples of his ****ery, stereotypes and etc? I would like to try and see it from others perspective.

To me it sounds like disliking Tyler Perry is the cool thing to do. That's just my opinion though.

Man i seen his other movies on BET and they had me rollin it was so funny, and I watch his shoe if i catch it on the TV too

I aint seen the movie, but i want to, aint no way im payin to go see it without nobody else though, ill wait til this one comes on BET too haha

I don't like his stuff as much as my Mom and her friends do (and frankly I doubt any male does), but I don't get the hate either. Sure, his Madeacharacter is fairly stereotypical, it's based on his own real life Ma'Dea'. I guarantee all of you talking about he's ****ing and embarassingblack folks, are the first people to turn on some Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy. At the least, all of Tyler Perry's movies have a moral, generally rooted inreligion, and positive message. He's not just rebelling and being negative for the sake of doing so, or to make $. If anything, I'd say his types ofmovies and shows are fairly good for the community, since they bring up issues in a way that can make you think and reconsider your own beliefs.

For example, I've only seen a few of House of Payne episodes but they've had the episode about black people attacking other black people for acting"too white," they've done a violence in the black community episode, they've done a single parent home episode- all things athat areprevalent in the community which he targets with his "****ery." But yea, go light a blunt, drop out of school, then run around acting an !%*$ likeSoulja Boy while complaining that Tyler Perry is the one "embarassing us."

Back
Top Bottom