Final: Pistons (18-7) Celtics (20-3) Billups Sells the Fake!

Wow...I can't believe people are crying about the call. Allen jumped up but he kinda leaned in. When big shot jumped up allen was there. Its a good call.On top of that allen should have known that he does that. He should have kept his feet on the ground.

Mez 0ne wrote:

Fourth, the Celtics have lost 2 games by a basket and another in ot by 5 points. Still the team to beat.

I like the C's cause of Ray Allen and KG....but the Celtics haven't even made the playoffs with that squad, and although they will this season, that doesn't make them the team to beat. The Pistons have thee starters that can equally compete with the Celtics, except they have veterans with championship experience.

They just beat the Celtics who are straight DOMINANT @ home, great win to show who's the team to beat in the East.

Point taken.

But despite all that veteran experience, the Pistons are still:

82064op.jpg

I mean, they lost to the CAVS last year. The CAVS!
laugh.gif

And the Celtics got three hungry dogs who are on a team that is way more talented than the Cavs were last year.

No one was complaining that move "is ruining basketball, turning away fans, blah blah blah" until AFTER the game winner

SMH

Hey, they may be one-hit wonders, but they are still always there in contention, they lost a tough game 7 b/c Lebron went out of his mind and Boobie hit someclutch trey's.

I would be happy if the Knicks were one hit wonders.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Tony Allen did NOT jump into Billups.

He simply jumped, and Billups jumped into the mid-air Allen.

And THAT is the problem I have.

I don't fault Tony for jumping. I fault Billups for jumping into an airborne Allen, the refs for falling for it, and the league for not doing anything about it.

Bottom line: there's nothing wrong with jumping to block a shot, as long as you're not jumping into the player. When the offensive player sees that maybe yu're going to jump into him and maybe you're not, and he decides to jump into the defender to be SURE that there's contact, there's a problem.
rck2sactown wrote:
you sure SKA?

it certainly didnt seem like he jumped straight up....it was more like up and in to, to contest/block the shot

Positive.

I didn't say Allen jumped straight up.

But if Billups would have taken a NORMAL jump shot, Allen would not have fouled him.

Billups knows that, and that's why he jumped into Allen's line of flight.

Allen jumped forward, but not into Billups. Billups should have jumped up, but not into Allen.

Where the heck have all these apologists come from?

laugh.gif

"Stop getting butthurt over a call."
"The Pistons won. Stop whining."

roll.gif

It's just discussion, people. Calm down telling people to calm down.

Like you guys took an early peek at your Christmas presents and didn't get what you wanted or something, all mad at people over discussing a questionablecall to end a meaningless game.
laugh.gif

Players do that same pump fake in every game. I can't count how many times I've seen AI, KB24, Manu, etc do that same move. That move is as much a partof basketball as flopping is.

Who does a standing broad jump when they shoot their jumpshots? Not anybody actually looking to make a shot; only players (Wade, Kevin Martin, Corey Maggette,Pierce, Cassell) looking to throw themselves into the defender and airflop.

And people have been talking about this ruining basketball forever. %@@+, do you remember the 2006 finals?

But if Billups would have taken a NORMAL jump shot, Allen would not have fouled him.

Billups knows that, and that's why he jumped into Allen's line of flight.
laugh.gif
exactly why I said what I said, cuz I knew that had to besome of yall mindsets...who's to tell Billups what kind of jumper he should've shot? There's no 'unwritten rule' or code of ethics thatsays when a defensive player jumps at you, you have to jump straight up in the air and take a textbook jumpshot.

The reason why refs call that is because that impedes a player's space when the contact is made, who's to say Billups wasnt tryna shoot a leaning jumper? Of course that wasnt his intention, but its in the rules for the refs to respect that...

DatZNasty wrote:
Who does a standing broad jump when they shoot their jumpshots? Not anybody actually looking to make a shot
Not anyone trying to make a shot?

roll.gif

No one actually looking to make a shot takes a regular, up-and-then-back-down jump?

See: Ray Allen, to tie the game
nerd.gif

And that's why I respect his game more, as most people do.

Not saying Ray doesn't jump into players, but I am saying it's rare. It's a FAR more frequent occurrence that he just jumps up, releases, and thenlands pretty close to where he jumped.

Not everyone can be as pure as him, though.
smokin.gif
Some have to rely ontactics, because skill ain't cuttin' it.

See: Chauncey Billups, to go to the free throw line to win the game

Not anyone trying to make a shot?

No one actually looking to make a shot takes a regular, up-and-then-back-down jump?

I thought a standing broad jump was where you try to jump as far forward as you can. That's what I'm talking about. Anyways, I got a long*%** articlethat's really good about all these "tactics" in the NBA. It's dumb long though

It was a foul. And a crafty move by a clutch-shooting veteran. Give credit where credit is due. Paul Pierce has gotten that call hundreds of times.

I just hope the rematch is just as exciting as this game was.

the celtics are scum. i am glad evertime they lose. the nba rigged their schedule so they could get a great start. they have beat nobody of significance...this is the only time i wish i could hear the celtics announcers because i would have loved to hear them throw fits
happy.gif

Classic pump fake. Youngins got schooled, you know if the last shot belonged to the Celtics, none of the Pistons would have fallen for that [no webber]. Plainand simple.

Originally Posted by aepps20

Players do that same pump fake in every game. I can't count how many times I've seen AI, KB24, Manu, etc do that same move. That move is as much a part of basketball as flopping is.
That's kind of sad that those two components has become a huge factor in games. I'm not mad about the lost though.

I was more surprised by the time, I didn't see much replays but did Billups really have enough time to catch, pump fake, jump and get hit in 1.3 seconds?

l_e09758a3141973f0dcc910e19f38e50f.jpg

l_099e61cf8b5ffddeb64d6d366a0e6a69.jpg

l_1bb12996aa6c8ddf9ebc94fb76b6f9c5.jpg

Who does a standing broad jump when they shoot their jumpshots? Not anybody actually looking to make a shot; only players (Wade, Kevin Martin, Corey Maggette, Pierce, Cassell) looking to throw themselves into the defender and airflop.

And people have been talking about this ruining basketball forever. %@@+, do you remember the 2006 finals?

"while all of you are arguing about something I helped create and succeeded at, I'm out getting your##%%!#$%!!!
devil.gif
"

Not much I can say. Good game. I dont fault Tony at all for jumping, or Billups. I agree the rule, or lack of rule, sucks, but Billups was smart enough to knowhe could do it.

One other thing. I've probably defended Pierce on NT and in life more than anyone, but like... we have Ray Allen. WHY IS PIERCE STILL TAKING THE GAMEWINNERS ON A REGULAR BASIS?

See: Toronto Raptors, Charlotte Bobcats, shot earlier in the game to tie.

mad.gif

Yea as much as i love Pierce he shouldnt be the one with the ball in the last seconds of the game. Its Doc who writes up the plays and gives the ball toPierce. I mean i dont blame him because he has done wonders for them at the last second of games before but Doc should switch it up and let Allen get it foronce and just try and finish the game right there.

^ Exactly.

Taking that potential game winner, Pierce was 5-15.

And Ray Allen was COOKING.

And Pierce shot it WAY too soon. There was 1.7 left when Sheed got the rebound and called timeout, so Pierce probably threw it up with around 2.5 seconds left.Way too much time. Even if he HAD made it, it still gives them time to tie it.

In that situation, you want to make SURE you get the last shot, a shot that will either miss and force overtime, or will go in and you win.

Celtics finally play a good team and they lose. Also, I think they've played more games against the East than any team in the league.

Back
Top Bottom