Finance Heads: Becoming a Financial Advisor

Hey NT, I'm currently interning at Merrill Lynch in Wealth Management. Most of my work really consists of getting leads by cold calling
ohwell.gif
other than that I look over my Boss's portfolios and listen in on what stocks he offers to his clients to invest in. My boss is actually a pretty cool dude, young guy and I think he makes roughly around 200-250k a year with his client base.

My question: Is becoming a financial advisor all its cracked up to be? How many actually make it through the training program? The one at Merrill Lynch is a program in which you get salary for the first 3 years as you build your clients, then after its purely commission. I know within that time period you have to get your Series 6, 7 and 63. My concern is, the market is flooded with financial advisors, so would working at a firm with a reputation such as Merrill Lynch better increase my chances of getting accounts?

Any input would be great.

Hey NT, I'm currently interning at Merrill Lynch in Wealth Management. Most of my work really consists of getting leads by cold calling
ohwell.gif
other than that I look over my Boss's portfolios and listen in on what stocks he offers to his clients to invest in. My boss is actually a pretty cool dude, young guy and I think he makes roughly around 200-250k a year with his client base.

My question: Is becoming a financial advisor all its cracked up to be? How many actually make it through the training program? The one at Merrill Lynch is a program in which you get salary for the first 3 years as you build your clients, then after its purely commission. I know within that time period you have to get your Series 6, 7 and 63. My concern is, the market is flooded with financial advisors, so would working at a firm with a reputation such as Merrill Lynch better increase my chances of getting accounts?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Is becoming a financial advisor all its cracked up to be?"[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For some...yes.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For most...no.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whether or not it's for YOU is not up to anybody else to decide, isn't that why your interning at Merrill Lynch? You probably have a better idea than 98% of NT. 
[/font]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Is becoming a financial advisor all its cracked up to be?"[/font]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For some...yes.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For most...no.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whether or not it's for YOU is not up to anybody else to decide, isn't that why your interning at Merrill Lynch? You probably have a better idea than 98% of NT. 
[/font]
[/font]

Originally Posted by alife epidemix

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font] isn't that why your interning at Merrill Lynch?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[/font]

Based on my time there so far, it seems like something I could see myself doing, but I'm not really sold on the success factor. Any NTers that have tried it out?

aaronayumo- I applied through my school's job posting site, if you have any sales or consulting experience I would highlight it in your resume. My boss was an alumni from my school so I think thats what got me in.

Originally Posted by alife epidemix

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font] isn't that why your interning at Merrill Lynch?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[/font]

Based on my time there so far, it seems like something I could see myself doing, but I'm not really sold on the success factor. Any NTers that have tried it out?

aaronayumo- I applied through my school's job posting site, if you have any sales or consulting experience I would highlight it in your resume. My boss was an alumni from my school so I think thats what got me in.

Originally Posted by ShoeHead117

ohwell.gif

It's basically a sales position in the beginning till you build your book, which take years to do, and all the big brokerages have really high hurdles during the training. I think you have to bring in about 20+ million during the first 3 years or you will won't graduate from the program, and 20 mill AUM isn't a lot, that will only give you about 50k/yr in salary. It's really hard to succeed in this industry unless you are a GREAT salesman or you have a huge network of affluent people, the turnover rate is like 80%. But, it can be a great career, it's pretty much your own business but you have a company supporting you and providing you with tons of resources, you can create your own hours, and it can be very lucrative...

Originally Posted by ShoeHead117

ohwell.gif

It's basically a sales position in the beginning till you build your book, which take years to do, and all the big brokerages have really high hurdles during the training. I think you have to bring in about 20+ million during the first 3 years or you will won't graduate from the program, and 20 mill AUM isn't a lot, that will only give you about 50k/yr in salary. It's really hard to succeed in this industry unless you are a GREAT salesman or you have a huge network of affluent people, the turnover rate is like 80%. But, it can be a great career, it's pretty much your own business but you have a company supporting you and providing you with tons of resources, you can create your own hours, and it can be very lucrative...

75% don't make it past 2 years
of the 1 out of 4 that make it..
93% don't make it past 4 years.

If that still interests you then go for it and make it happen.

I started in 2002.  Haven't looked back since.

Originally Posted by doctaOCTAGON

Congrats on being the other 7%. Is the only way of getting clients through cold calling?

I would think in this day and age there would be more effective ways of marketing to affluent people. It would be great if I had a handful of millionaires I networked with.

Originally Posted by doctaOCTAGON

Congrats on being the other 7%. Is the only way of getting clients through cold calling?

I would think in this day and age there would be more effective ways of marketing to affluent people. It would be great if I had a handful of millionaires I networked with.

Back
Top Bottom