FIRST TIME IN SF AREA

Yo! Planning out a trip with my girl later this month.  I have a few questions.

it would be my first time ever there, her 2nd time.

Best way to get around?

-should i book a rental or just take the public transportation?

-there a lot of parking in downtown area?

Booked a little booze cruise off pier 43

-whats around there?

Places to eat?

-sushi-wise

-only in san francisco type eats

-must go to places?

-i read kingcrux mention "honey honey" for breakfast, google mapped it, and found no parking in the area

Places to see?

-besides the obvious Golden Gate and Alcatraz

Nightlife is kinda optional, we coming from vegas, so unless its the place to go in sanfran, i'll pass.

-but definitely need bars

any other tips would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Best way to get around, I'd say just get a car. It's more convenient if you're traveling all over the city and it's a lot faster than public transportation. Just make sure you know the directions to places. But public transportation works great too if you know where to go and which bus/train to take. I'd just prefer having my own car so I don't get stuck waiting too long for a train/bus. And in the downtown area, there's not much street parking but there's a few garages that you could park in. 

As far as sushi, there's a bunch of joints out here and most are pretty solid. There's this place called Sushi Sebo and it was featured on the Travel Channel. I heard it was pretty good, but pricy. I would recommend to just look on yelp and just take a shot at whichever one looks good lol. 

With places to see, I recommend you take your girl to Twin Peaks, it's one of the best views in the city.

And with pier 43 and nightlife, I can't help you with that sorry lol.

Sushi - Ebisu
Chinese - San Tung (MUST get their chicken wings + pot stickers)
Mexican - El Farolito

Twin peaks for sure. The wharf is a nice walk.
As far as driving - Parking can be hard and expensive ($2/hour meters, sometimes more expensive in lots).

Sushi - Ebisu
Chinese - San Tung (MUST get their chicken wings + pot stickers)
Mexican - El Farolito
Twin peaks for sure. The wharf is a nice walk.
As far as driving - Parking can be hard and expensive ($2/hour meters, sometimes more expensive in lots).
I can vouch for Ebisu, San Tung, and El Farolito. All very good places.

Oh, I had Umami Burger today on union street.

They're small burgers and quite pricey, but it is rather good. Bacon scallop burger...Not bad, but I think I'd rather get beef.

Oh, I had Umami Burger today on union street.
They're small burgers and quite pricey, but it is rather good. Bacon scallop burger...Not bad, but I think I'd rather get beef.
oo yeah i had Umami in the LA area not too long ago, place is real good.

Thanks for the all the suggestions, I know regional forums aren't always populated so I appreciate the responses. Reps for everyone!

Also forgot to mention, chicks love the place, "Mama's"...It's on Washington in North Beach.

as a visitor, i'd say take public transportation because parking will add up quick, unless you have a lot of quarters. i mean A LOT.

another good place to get coffee besides blue bottle is philz coffee along van ness or by at&t park.

though i have yet to go, brenda's is supposedly really good for soul food. el farolito or papalote would be good choices for mexican. if you want to go somewhere nice for dinner, try thanh long (on the other side of SF though) or crustacean's for roasted crab and garlic noodles.

if you want ice cream this time of year, go to mitchell's or bi-rite.

as far as bars go, i'd suggest the mission district. mainly: kilowatt, double dutch, skylark, elbo room. few spots south of market that come to mind: local edition, 111 minna, john collins, alibi

can anyone vouch for state bird provisions? i heard its a good place, and its essentially american-inspired tapas served dim sum style.

Whats the weather gonna be like? Never been to NorCal.  Right now its in the 40s at night in Las Vegas.  I need to know what to pack

It gets around the 40s and 50s at night. Highest is 60s during the day. Sweatshirt and jacket weather for sure

if you get a rental it'll be easier to get around. parking can be hard at times, but i prefer that than the hassle of riding Muni. Muni can be a nightmare especially when schools get out.

everyone covered the spots to eat already and Twin Peaks is a must. If you want a good view of the city from Twin Peaks go sometime between 12-4pm, beats the morning fog and it starts to get dark around 4-5pm now

Hard Knox Cafe is another place you might want to checkout if you're looking for soul food although I'd take Brendas over it.

If you're looking for brunch places Luna Park in the Mission is good.  Dotties True Blue and Mamas are both delicious if you dont mind the wait.

If you get a chance checkout Broken Record, really good food.

Coffee spots I'd recommend Blue Bottle or Ritual.  

There are also Vietnamese coffee shops in San Jose but I dont think you'd want to take your girl there 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Hard Knox Cafe is another place you might want to checkout if you're looking for soul food although I'd take Brendas over it.

If you're looking for brunch places Luna Park in the Mission is good.  Dotties True Blue and Mamas are both delicious if you dont mind the wait.

If you get a chance checkout Broken Record, really good food.

Coffee spots I'd recommend Blue Bottle or Ritual.  

There are also Vietnamese coffee shops in San Jose but I dont think you'd want to take your girl there 
nerd.gif
Cafe Lu? i've always wanted to go there

La Taqueria a few blocks away from El Farolito > El Farolito.

Not that El Farolito isn't straight though.

Just got in last night, I'm chillen in Daly city at a friends right next to the pacific ocean, place is beautiful. I can see the golden gate bridge from the window.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned places to eat and check out. Have a great holiday weekend! Thankful for my NT fam.

If you find yourself in the Financial District, check out Bocadillos (for breakfast/lunch) or Wayfare Tavern (for lunch/dinner).

Check out Stella Pastry in North Beach. Best custard napoleons and eclairs in the city.

La Taqueria a few blocks away from El Farolito > El Farolito.
Not that El Farolito isn't straight though.

NAH SON WE GOTTA BANG ON TELEGRAPH NOW CUH

and to the op, i guess you are in daily city? yeah you want a rental...i had a whole "dont drive" rant typed up and saw that.

Back
Top Bottom