Flat footed brethren rejoice | Running

I tried on a pair of Brooks Beast's a few years ago and they just seemed really heavy and clunky to me. I might have to give them a try through one of these places that lets you try them out for a certain amount of time.
A good amount of motion-control shoes do have some weight to them.  If that seems to much, you can get some running flats if you'd like to do more running on grass areas or rubber tracks.

The website usually have the weight information for their shoes.  If not, you can look the shoe up on Amazon

I tried on a pair of Brooks Beast's a few years ago and they just seemed really heavy and clunky to me. I might have to give them a try through one of these places that lets you try them out for a certain amount of time.
I experienced this as well and they were actually uncomfortable for a few days which the sales person told me they would be but after the break in period they feel amazing. I also wear a pair of lunar glide 3's which are pretty good. I always stayed away from the free's due to lack of support but I may give them a chance in the near future.

I experienced this as well and they were actually uncomfortable for a few days which the sales person told me they would be but after the break in period they feel amazing. I also wear a pair of lunar glide 3's which are pretty good. I always stayed away from the free's due to lack of support but I may give them a chance in the near future.

If you go with the Frees, keep your old shoes in rotation for the first few weeks to avoid straining any muscles and tendons because your stride will be very different at first!

So far I have compiled a list of shoes to look in to.
Asics Gel Kayano
Brooks Adrenline
Saucony Pro Guide
flyknits
superfeet dmp
Brooks Beast
mizuno wave alchemy
New Balance 587
Kahru Fast 4 fulcrum

Anymore I should add to the list?

Last edited:
i swear by brooks beast and haven't really found a better replacement to be honest.

i don't think it's heavy at all; in fact i felt lighter than i had in previous running shoes probably just due to the alignment of my foot alone. 

but yeah there's tons of options out there. i guess i'm just getting old. found one and sticking to it 
laugh.gif

Why do all these shoes have to look so ugly/similar :lol:
Ah well, they are made to help me run better, but it'd be nice if they looked wearable to the store too

Replace Flyknit with Zoom Structure.

Structures are going to be harder to find these days, so Lunareclipse is another option from Nike.

The eclipse is what replaced the Equalon.

I would go with the Trance over Adrenaline from Brooks as well. Although the Adrenaline is a damn good shoe.

I also Have(had) flat feet. I recently got full reconstructive surgery done on both feet to give me arches and lengthen my achilies tendon. Got my left one done in November and was already walking regular light running by the end of Feb. Im in the Military so running, jumping etc is a daily habit and with lower back pain, shin splints, foot pains etc etc... I had to do something. I usually wore Lunarglide 3's with insoles. Im currently on Con Leave now for my right foot and will be looking into buying a new pair of shoes pretty soon.

I run 3-4 times away roughly between 7-12KM.
If im running just to get the milage, ill use a pair of New balance 574 ( they are heavy but comfortable)
If im running with time in mind then ill use a pair of Flyknit ( Very light but are not super comfortable)

o i have pancake feet

FLYKNITS are so neutral that they're really only going to do more damage to flat footed runners who over pronate. I'd stay away from them in most cases.

Frees are trash imo because most of the people that come into my store to buy shoes aren't experienced runners, yet they are pulled towards frees due to them being popular.

so Free's are trash as a running shoe because they're popular? that doesn't make sense.

What does the popularity of a shoe (and the unwanted fanboys who buy them) have to do with the technical aspects of a shoe for running?

go ahead and skip the part where I say I need something with more support.

For those who mentioned the superfeet insoles.... are they worth the buy?

I don't really do a lot of running but I do want to start light cardio. The only consistent activity that I do is dancing and I notice that my balance sucks and my feet/shin starts to hurt after long periods since I'm pretty flat footed. Do you guys think the insoles will help with such activities?

For those who mentioned the superfeet insoles.... are they worth the buy?

I don't really do a lot of running but I do want to start light cardio. The only consistent activity that I do is dancing and I notice that my balance sucks and my feet/shin starts to hurt after long periods since I'm pretty flat footed. Do you guys think the insoles will help with such activities?
Custom Sole is worth it man, i have a pair of custom insole and i swap them out for everything i do, go to work, gym, or just going out chilling ...your feet will thank you.

Nike is pretty well-known for making the worst running shoes.

I suggest you check out a specialty running shop. They often give free gait analysis. They record your feet as you run and they are able to analyze your pronation. This then allows them to recommend corrective shoes.

I got a pair of brooks running shoes, and they are amazing. I finished my half marathon and a couple of 5ks in them. They're just an awesome everyday shoe, really comfortable. I'm looking to buy my second pair soon.

FLYKNITS are so neutral that they're really only going to do more damage to flat footed runners who over pronate. I'd stay away from them in most cases.

completely agree. If you over pronate and want Nikes, the Lunareclipse 2 or Zoom Structure is your best bet. Although I use the Lunareclipse 2, the Asics Gel Kayano was the best for stability that I've ever owned and for comfort.

I use Spenco PolySorb Heavy Duty insoles which are perfect for me with little to no arch

http://www.zappos.com/spenco-polysorb-heavy-duty-insole-gold

$19.99, provides some shock absorption but mainly helps with the flat arch.

I always believed that the motion control/ arch support shoes with support under the complete arch just made sense
It stabilized the whole foot even if you were not flat footed

Tried on a pair of brooks motion control must have been a entry pair but man were they comfy :pimp:

Love that the sole has support underneath the whole foot, I'm gonna say these type of shoes probably work well with non flat footers such as myself

Great tech imo

I think all free runs are trash for running.

Asics and brooks most definitely make the best running shoes

If you want proper advice then ignore anything like this ^
Anyone who claims that a certain brand of shoe is 'the best' is clearly biased or just plain ignorant.

As a side note, I have flat feet and I use these insoles from Roadrunner sports http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1062/

Not that I would blindly recommend a product for others, that's just plain illogical.

Hm, I still haven't had the chance to make it to the running store, but my question is, what good orthotics should I look in to?
I remember standing on the Dr. Scholl's machine in Walmart and they told me to buy a certain style, but honestly, I feel Dr. Scholl's is very commercialized. I'm sure there are better brands out there that do more, for even less the price.

Dr. Scholl's insoles were $50, and were to be replaced every six months. Is this reasonable?

i have to say clarks, bass, and similar shoes offer no arch support or cushion watsoever. i love the style and look so i def f with them but..clarks aren't that comfortable. i think i need inserts. no point in wearing shoes that aren't comfortable strictly because of appearance. word to females and heels.

If you want proper advice then ignore anything like this ^
Anyone who claims that a certain brand of shoe is 'the best' is clearly biased or just plain ignorant.

As a side note, I have flat feet and I use these insoles from Roadrunner sports http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1062/

Not that I would blindly recommend a product for others, that's just plain illogical.

There's no such thing as "proper" advice when it's in regard to opinion. The term "best", itself, is subjective.

To tell others to ignore specific perspectives is "clearly biased or just plain ignorant".

Instead of telling users off, it would be more effective to ask them to elaborate on their statements. I personally don't like the majority of Nike running shoes because they don't seem to address my overpronation correctly. On top of that, I feel as if the price does not represent the quality of build nor durability. During my half marathon training, I was running ~45 miles a week. In a pair of Nike frees, I know my feet, legs, and back would have been destroyed.

I tested a number of shoes at the specialized running shop, and I felt as if Brooks running were the most comfortable. I haven't had any issues with back or foot pains ever since.

Back
Top Bottom