Food Inc.-- the most important movie of the year?

Originally Posted by ElCubanoDel510

I can't stand tree huggers. I don't care if they stick dynamite in the cows @#$ to get the meat. Then again I grew up going to slaughter houses and fishing so seeing animal guts and a crap load of blood doesn't phase me...
OD.
laugh.gif

Wow.. Tomorrow I have to come back and read this whole thread as well as post my input after viewing the movie. Thanks for the heads up Method man. It's funny how things on the internet like this post could possibly change people lives forever...

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

tony gonzalez is not a vegan. he eats white meat. its almost irrelevant though. people that size are pretty rare. most people should be able to handle a vegan diet i would assume.

how hard would a vegetarian diet be with a soy allergy? i always assumed it was a big part of the diet.
Tony Gonzales shops at Whole Foods in Long Beach. I see him in there all the time.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

It's funny how things on the internet like this post could possibly change people lives forever...
forreal.

good thing i caught this post before the screening tomorrow in NYC.

i'm not gonna lie, this is pretty interesting and eye-opening.

however, how can one overcome the challenge though? i'd be lying if i said this thread didn't entice me towards going for a vegan diet as i am alreadyavoiding a lot of foods and trying to eat as "healthy" as possible at least based on my own understanding, but for one who happens to enjoy meat (beef and chicken in particular ), how hard is it to maintain?

it's really great reading these things, but i'm afraid i'll give in. not because i'm "weak" but eating food from animals is embeddedheavily in our lifestyles. as anyone can probably say about themselves, we grew up with delectable food from our respective cultures and it's just hardimagining it without any sort of meat.

it's not to say that i am not against animal cruelty and whatever else is tied to it, but i can only imagine how hard it is, and from that alone ican't picture myself being strictly vegan.

someone share their insight on this matter. it feels like part of me wants to be vegan, but i don't think i can.

the idea is attractive, but i think of that burger i ate in ShakeShack today and the smile it gave to my face, then i'm not so fond of the idea afterward.

with that said, i truly respect those who are vegan. it's must take really serious discipline and dedication.

i've heard something like this before, that in america most foods use corn as the base as its so cheap and abundant. Because corn is high in sugar, it iscorrelated to the high level of diabetes in the US.

how hard would a vegetarian diet be with a soy allergy? i always assumed it was a big part of the diet.
Soy has become a huge industry and, as a high protein food, it's been promoted effectively as a versatile plant-based protein source.� Forthat reason, soy is quite popular among veg*ans, to the point where people do assume that, if you don't eat animal products, you must eat little else.�Coincidentally enough, I wound up discussing these issues with someone at the WWF's headquarters shortly after our donation.� She has a soy allergy, soshe'd thought it impossible for her to shift to a vegetarian or vegan diet.� Ten years ago, certainly, it would've been far more difficult for peoplewith careers and busy lives and live far from farmer's markets and fancy upscale grocery stores to have access to the types of products they'd need inorder to enjoy a healthy, varied vegan diet - but that's really not true anymore.� Frozen or prepared vegetarian meals in years past were generally limitedto veggie burgers, tofu, and the like, but these days most supermarkets carry a wider range of products compatible with a vegan lifestyle.�

As I mentioned earlier, instead of soy milk you can enjoy rice or almond milk.� Instead of soy protein isolate, you can take hemp seed protein or pea protein.�Instead of tofu or tempeh you can build meals around seitan, lentils, chick peas, quinoa, and other protein rich foods.� We have so many options now thatit's easier than ever for people to find cruelty-free choices to fit their lives.

I heard that all the pus and blood and what not goes into the chocolate/strawberry/ect milk. Hence the color additives. Is that crap in normal milk too? Not that I drink any milk anymore, after learning about the disgusting side of it all.
The story of food coloring etc. being used to somehow mask or conceal blood and pus strikes me as a kernel of truth that's been distorted intoan urban legend.� The prevalence of mastitis in dairy cows and the high legal allowances for somatic cell counts means that all cow milk can potentiallycontain blood and pus.� Though people will debate the actual quantities present, few can deny that it's not only possible, but factory farming andregulatory conditions practically guarantee it.� If working cows to the point of their developing mastitis results in higher yields and health standardstolerate the presence of blood and pus in milk, 1) why would you pull affected cows from the production line unnecessarily and 2) how could you possibly pullthem from the line BEFORE any blood and pus has been deposited in milk that winds up reaching consumers?� If you drink cow milk with any frequency, odds areyou've at least ingested trace amounts of blood and pus.� Of course, if cow blood really bothered people, you'd think they'd refrain from eatingbeef.. but that's another story.
I chose to go vegetarian about two years ago after seeing videos about how "farm animals" were treated. I've long been a supporter of humane treatment of animals, so it was a very natural and logical choice. For example (and this is probably off-topic), pretty much every product I buy (deodorant, toothpaste, shower cleaning stuff, hand soap, shaving cream, dish soap, toilet bowl cleaner, dryer sheets, etc.) is from companies that do not test on animals. It's something that I feel very strongly about, and have been consistently delighted to find that everything I can think of has a non-tested counterpart. That is pretty easy to explain to people if it ever comes up.
The great thing about the surging awareness regarding these issues is that we have more options than ever as consumers.� It's even easier nowto go one better than purchasing items that haven't been tested on animals - you can buy products that contain no ingredients derived from animals.� Youdon't have to buy soap made from animal fat (tallow) when you can buy soaps and body washes that are neither tested on animals nor made with animalproducts.� The Body Shop offers a full line of products that meet these criteria, including fragrances for men and women.� Brands like Clearly Natural and Dr.Bronner's offer both liquid and bar soaps.� Seventh Generation makes some vegan-friendly detergents (though not all their products are - so be careful.)�It's a great way to use your consumer power to help change the market through something as simple as changing your everyday purchasing decisions to reflectyour values.� Just look around online, you should be able to find animal-free products available for order online or, better yet, at a store near you.

Going back to the milk, my girlfriend and I love Organic Valley milk (here's a link to their site on animal treatment: linky). I was under the impression that they treat their cows better than most dairy farmers (heck, the milk tastes light years better to us). Am I just being hopeful here??

Also, we buy eggs that are free range and fed a vegetarian diet. I know that the term "free range" can mean many things, least of all the giant open range where chickens have to walk ten to twenty feet (or more) to reach another chicken that you might picture, but we feel it's better than buying eggs that are from hens not raised this way.
I'm not familiar with Organic Valley's operation in particular - but since organic producers don't (or aren't supposed to, at anyrate) use hormones to stimulate lactation, that means they're almost certainly forcibly impregnating their dairy cows.� What do you suppose happens to themales they give birth to?� Clearly, they can't be dairy cows.� So, the truth of the matter here is that the dairy industry works hand in hand with the meatindustry.�

As far as free range egg production is concerned, it's pretty much the same situation.� Let's take it back to the chicken and the egg question.� Ifyou're in the business of egg production, you need hens to lay them.� Hens begin their lives as eggs.� Half of these eggs hatch as males.� What do yousuppose happens to them?� You can check this video out to learn more about free-range farming.� The images aren't pleasant, but that's the reality.

Anyway, I think it's great to see that there are other people (even on Niketalk of all places) that share the same feelings on this subject.
smile.gif

One of the things I love most about NikeTalk is our diversity.� I've been hearing from a number of people who've just recently decided togo vegan - and there are plenty of others who've been veg*ans for years.� While I might be the only vegan on our staff at the moment, we do havevegetarians.� So, you're definitely not alone by a long shot.�

however, how can one overcome the challenge though? i'd be lying if i said this thread didn't entice me towards going for a vegan diet as i am already avoiding a lot of foods and trying to eat as "healthy" as possible at least based on my own understanding, but for one who happens to enjoy meat ( beef and chicken in particular ), how hard is it to maintain?

it's really great reading these things, but i'm afraid i'll give in. not because i'm "weak" but eating food from animals is embedded heavily in our lifestyles. as anyone can probably say about themselves, we grew up with delectable food from our respective cultures and it's just hard imagining it without any sort of meat.

it's not to say that i am not against animal cruelty and whatever else is tied to it, but i can only imagine how hard it is, and from that alone i can't picture myself being strictly vegan.

someone share their insight on this matter. it feels like part of me wants to be vegan, but i don't think i can.

the idea is attractive, but i think of that burger i ate in ShakeShack today and the smile it gave to my face, then i'm not so fond of the idea afterward.
The best advice I can give you on that - and I'm sure others will chime in as well - is to TRY it.� Do your homework, give yourself as manyvegan food options as possible, and see how you like it.� Give yourself a chance to live without eating any animal products for a few weeks and see how youfeel.� Some people find it difficult to go "cold turkey," no pun intended, and find that they need to scale down gradually.� People from NT I'vetalked to who've recently tried vegan diets have noticed the difference within a couple of weeks - even within a few days for some - and they've toldme how great it's made them feel.�

I had to give up nearly all of my favorite foods when I made the switch - but after I did my research I went from eating meat 6 days a week to eliminating allanimal products from my diet within ten days and I never looked back.�

Trust that you'll find NEW favorite foods to enjoy.� If the ethical aspect of it doesn't keep you motivated, perhaps your health will.� Not only is itone of the best things you can do for other animals and for the environment - it's one of the best things you can do for yourself.�

There are so many different recipes out there and there are more frozen and prepared choices than ever.� I've no doubt you'll be able to find somevegan meals out there that you truly enjoy.�

One question I get pretty often is, "have you ever cheated?"� The truth is, I haven't.� Even when I've gone to restaurants where there'sliterally nothing on the menu I can have, I've chosen not to eat anything.� I have made some mistakes in the past where I've come to find out thatsomething I'd purchased contained a hidden animal product.� When it's happened, of course it frustrated the hell out of me.� I learned from it.� As Imentioned, when I found out that the glue in Nike shoes - even the "sustainability products" contain animal derived ingredients, I immediatelystopped purchasing Nikes.� You learn to assume nothing and ASK at restaurants, as veggie burgers can contain eggs, for example, as can certain breads, etc.

Perfection is a wonderful ideal, but if we gave up basketball for missing a shot, gave up music if we hit a bad note, or otherwise quit upon making any sort ofmistake, we could never accomplish anything of value.� When you pick up a basketball, of course you want every shot to go in - but your goal isn'tperfection so much as it is to be the best you can possibly be and continue to improve.

I know someone who claims to be vegan who gives in to temptation every now and then.� I'd heard about Tony Gonzalez becoming vegan and, as it turns out, hedoes eat fish and chicken now and then.� These things are frustrating - we want people to be at their best and to live up to their ideals - but at the sametime isn't it also true that their reduced consumption of animal products is a net positive?� Aren't they doing far more than the average person?� Idon't believe in half-stepping, and I've long been of a mind that, to quote Dr. King, "lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outrightrejection."� So, for me personally I can't accept rationalization for a willful breach or betrayal of the standards I set for myself and thecommitments I make.� The truth of the matter, though, is that at the end of the day you have to answer to yourself.� Only you'll know if you're reallygiving it your best effort.� It is, without a doubt, harder for some people than others.� I'm the type of person who eats to live - not the inverse.�Others, like the friend I mentioned who indulges in the occasional slice of pizza, absolutely love to cook and eat.� What might, for me, represent a minorsacrifice is, for her, a true test of will.� How she must feel when on vacation and staring down something in one of the world's best cafes is a temptationwhose equivalent I'll never find in the realm of food.� My resolve is better challenged by an amazing sneaker.� I don't give in and I suspect that, ifyou truly commit yourself to it, you'll find so many delicious meal options that while you might miss that old favorite every once in awhile, you'll beable to easily conquer that craving through force of will or by enjoying an animal-free alternative.�

I suspect that the health and peace of mind it brings you will bring a broader smile to your face than any fast food burger ever could - but you'll neverknow until you try and give it your best.

There are a lot of resources out there for vegan athletes - and there are more out there than you think. The list of vegan athletes is more diverse and substantial than you might think - despite the stereotypes. Did you know Tony Gonzalez is a vegan? I believe "Rocket" Raghib Ismail is as well. I know that former NBA player Salim Stoudemire is a vegan. A resource I recommend is a book called Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life by Brendan Brazier, a champion Ironman triathelete.
Light welterweight boxing champ Timothy Bradley adheres to a vegan diet during training but I don't think he's a full-time vegan.

Originally Posted by Blai213

i've heard something like this before, that in america most foods use corn as the base as its so cheap and abundant. Because corn is high in sugar, it is correlated to the high level of diabetes in the US.
The big reason corn syrup (and HFCS) is used is because of the heavy tax burden placed on sugar cane.

[I'm looking for some facts and figures on the taxes. If anyone can find some please post them here]

i heard about this documentary on real time with bill marr. i need to check this out asap. i already know all the meat we eat is pumped full of antibiotics& steroids. i know the answer is becoming a vegetarion. i know that, in general, ppl don't live as lobg these days and the food we eat is a MAJORfactor in that.

it is just difficult to make such a big transition/lifestyle change going from meat to an all veggie diet. maybe if i watch it will help me want to get seriousabout making the transition sooner.

Wow, ton of info in this thread. I wish I could commit. Maybe I'll just watch some animal versions of Faces of Death and scare the carnivore out of me.

I saw this movie last night in Pasadena for $3! Do yourselves a huge favor and watch it. Extremely educational, well put together, and more than worth it. Morepeople need to become aware of what is really going on in the world, what is happening to our food before we get it, and what they can do to make changes. AndI COMPLETELY disagree with the person that said you can skip this if you've seen super size me or fast food nation. Actually makes me wonder what kind ofmotivation(s) this person has for saying that. Trust me, this movie is worth it and covers a whole lot.

I saw this at 3 @ The Art Theatre here in Long Beach ( http://www.arttheatrelongbeach.com )

It shocked the hell out of me. I was so surprised, it made my stomach drop as I was taking tiny sips of my Sprite.

I'm not going to lie. I'm hungry rightnow
laugh.gif
. There's stuff to eat here in the house, but I don't know what to look for. I had a bit ofmrs.mays granola but now i'm questioning whether THAT had any bad stuff in it.

My new work schedule doesn't really allow me to visit a farmers market, and growing up in a household where it's all meat and all guisado, it's sohard.

My head at the moment is saying "this is it, do it" but I don't know if I have the willpower to do so
smh.gif

I don't even know where to shop for the time being. Trader Joes? Fresh And Easy? Can I find something that's organic at Pavilions/Vons?

Halp
frown.gif

Another recent doc-- Killer at Large (concerns obesity epidemic)-- is out on video. It had only played at a few film festivals.

Ive been slowly making the transition. Ive cut out beef, next is chicken/eggs then fish and dairy milk. How does rice milk taste?

Edit: Speaking on High Fructose Corn Syrup I stumbled upon this article, I dont know much of anything about it unfortunately

[h1]Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury[/h1]Wednesday, January 28, 2009; 12:00 AM

MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found innearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S.studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. Onaverage, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source ofmercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidablemercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in aprepared statement.

In the first study, published in current issue of Environmental Health, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples ofcommercial HFCS.

And in the second study, the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-namefoods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

But an organization representing the refiners is disputing the results published in Environmental Health.

"This study appears to be based on outdated information of dubious significance," said Audrae Erickson, president of the Corn RefinersAssociation, in a statement. "Our industry has used mercury-free versions of the two re-agents mentioned in the study, hydrochloric acid and caustic soda,for several years. These mercury-free re-agents perform important functions, including adjusting pH balances."

However, the IATP told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that four plants in Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio and West Virginia still use"mercury-cell" technology that can lead to contamination.

IATP's Ben Lilliston also told HealthDay that the Environmental Health findings were based on information gathered by the FDA in2005.

And the group's own study, while not peer-reviewed, was based on products "bought off the shelf in the autumn of 2008," Lilliston added.

The use of mercury-contaminated caustic soda in the production of HFCS is common. The contamination occurs when mercury cells are used to produce causticsoda.

"The bad news is that nobody knows whether or not their soda or snack food contains HFCS made from ingredients like caustic soda contaminated withmercury. The good news is that mercury-free HFCS ingredients exist. Food companies just need a good push to only use those ingredients," Wallinga said inhis prepared statement.

HFCS and Mercury?
sick.gif

This is really troubling. I won't consume anything with HFCS but most people don't read labels and they consume it every day.

And to think their were spots run on how HFCS isn't that bad...
smh.gif

You should read The Omnivores Dilemma, had to read it for a class but it talks about the same things

Bout to head out to work

Still no food

someone help me out in where I need to go shop
smh.gif

I think we're going to go to chipotle for lunch,, i'm having a rice bol there

I used to have a yogurt drink and a granola for breakfast but now i don't even know about that. Just water today
smh.gif

This movie got to me...

Looks interesting will definitely watch.
I'm curious to know if there is a doc. like this on gluten and celiac disease out there.
nerd.gif

^^Where do you live? Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, farmers' markets, local health conscious stores, etc.

Back
Top Bottom