FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Chicken fried rice from a Peruvian joint near me

I ate at the Meatball Shop for the first time last night. It was pretty good. Didn't take pics like a typical Asian though :lol:. My friend did post to instagram.

It's called pickling the vegetables. Lol it's not suppose to be bitter. It's more like a sour, tangy, and sweet taste.

^
Maybe bitter was not the accurate term :lol:. It didn't taste like something pickled to me. I remember liking the rest of the sandwich except for whatever vegetable it was that tasted off.

the italian wedding soup I made yesterday.  I enjoyed it a lot, will definitely be making it again on a cold day, gonna throw some carrots in there next time.

recipe? looks
smokin.gif
I was going to use this recipe, but I watched a few vids on youtube and figured it was pretty simple so I abandoned it

so I don't have measurements so to most of this

For the meatballs I used 

2lbs ground turkey

3 small gloves of garlic, grated

salt, pepper

red pepper flakes

Italian seasoning 

shredded Parmesan cheese

about 1/4 of a cup of bread crumbs

2 eggs

a couple table spoons of milk

mix it up, make the meat balls about 1in.

(you'd have to check a few recipes to get the right measurement, so the meatball come out right)

put them in the fridge while you're prepping the other stuff, so their come together and don't fall apart when you put them in the soup)

the soup

mirepoix (carrots, onions, celery)

garlic, chopped, about 3 gloves

saute the mirepoix in the pot with olive oil, salt pepper until the veggies start to soften

add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute more, just don't let it burn ( i added a little italian seasoning and red pepper flake to the pot at this point too)

add in about 10 cups of chicken broth (used bullion cubes + water according to the directions on the package)

bring that to a boil, once it boils lower the heat

add in the meatballs carefully and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally

once the meatballs are set, add in pasta, I used orzo.

then just cook until the pasta is done

add the spinach or whatever green you like (another NTer suggested finnochio a few pages back)

cook until the greens are done, and that's it.

Some recipes say to mix up an egg or 2 and drizzle it in at the end

for an egg drop soup effect, but I didn't want it so I left if out.

I used this video as a guide

Last edited:
I tried Italian wedding from a can (sadly) once. Didn't know what it was to begin with, thrown off by the name lol. I was quite surprised it was good. I need to make some from scratch. I saw it being made on Triple D and this chef used escarole. I think spinach would be a good alternative.

Hey geuiss i'm trying to master my fish cooking abilities, i have the fried varietys down but cooking in a pan is kinda difficult for some reason. when i cook it always ends up stuck to the pan (i use butter), also i feel it's not cooked wholesomely, the last fish i cooked was tilapia. What are some preps you guys do before cooking and steps you take to ensure you get your taste buds jumpin?

Either your pan is not hot enough or your non-stick pan you are using is no longer non-stick. Fishes are pretty bland, best way to get the flavor is adding tons of spices or some type of sauces. Can never have enough of anything fried. I prefer fried fish, salt and pepper after you take it out the fryer and dip it in a cream sauce or something tangy.

I love eating Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich)...The flavors are :pimp:

They are good.

Cept the first time I had it, I didnt know they put them peppers in it. Spicy as ****. Had me shook.
I always pick em out :lol:

Damn it, I might go get some before I drive to my folks...
Ya'll trippin. If we ever hang out, pick em out and I'll put it in my sandwich :lol:...I love everything bout it. Well, actually - I hate cilantro.

I love eating Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich)...The flavors are :pimp:

They are good.

Cept the first time I had it, I didnt know they put them peppers in it. Spicy as ****. Had me shook.
I always pick em out :lol:

Ya'll trippin. If we ever hang out, pick em out and I'll put it in my sandwich :lol:...I love everything bout it. Well, actually - I hate cilantro.

I'm with you, I hate cilantro. :x

I love eating Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich)...The flavors are
pimp.gif

They are good.

I always pick em out 
laugh.gif

Ya'll trippin. If we ever hang out, pick em out and I'll put it in my sandwich
laugh.gif
...I love everything bout it. Well, actually - I hate cilantro.
Down! I'll be in San Jose either next weekend or the one after 
nerd.gif

Boneless bbq pork chop, cheesey scallop potatoes, carrots cooked with a little butter and honey

Back
Top Bottom