For my NYers...

serotonins

formerly maroki
Why would you fake a NY accent for years? I know a person who has not lived in NY or even the east coast for years but still has a very strong accent. Reason? Can this person be trusted?

Accents just don’t go away. If they grew up there it’s not going to drop off. Now if they moved away at an early age, maybe. My niece moved to Ghana when she was 6 nOw she is 10 and she sounds like she has never lived in the US.

I'm specifically talking about a NY accent..Not an accent from another country. If you havent lived on the east coast or talked to others without a NY accent how does one continue to have a natural accent?

Op how long is "years"? How old was he when he moved? If he was grown, it's stuck now.

EDIT: OP have you ever moved out of your home town?

7 years.

Maybe 19? I dont know it seems unrealistic for a NY accent to stick with you after YEARS unless you try really hard to keep it.

Yes i have moved out of my hometown

7 years.

Maybe 19? I dont know i seems unrealistic for a NY accent to stick with you after YEARS unless you try really hard to keep it.

Naw fam, it doesn't just go away like that. If you were to move to Japan, right now, do you think you would lose the ability to pronounce the letter "L"?

If he came with his family, they're all in the house talking to each other like that, calling back to NY and speaking with relatives, that talk like that.

Ive been living in Texas for 13 years and people still ask me where I'm from when I start talking.

No he doesnt live with his family. Or anyone who speaks with a NY accent. Not sure if he speaks to his family from NY on a daily basis. But everyone thinks its all a front.

And I dont think you can compare Japanese language to english...because we are speaking about the same language. You can maybe compare southern part of countries to the northerners accent..but his accent is VERY noticeable

Have you heard them speaking a different way in an isolated setting? Why do you think they're faking it?

Because no one around him has a NY accent. So the only people he would be conversating with would be people back in NY. Which I can't imagine it being everyday.

I want some personal experience responses. Who has moved from NY to a place without a accent for years, and still kept their accent without trying to keep it. I could understand if some words or sayings is still spoken with an accent. But EVERY sentence? Nah son. you trying too hard

If you're born and raised in NYC, you'll have that accent probably forever. As a New Yorker, I've moved away for several years (including moving away for college) and my accent has and is still completely intact.

I want some personal experience responses. Who has moved from NY to a place without a accent for years, and still kept their accent without trying to keep it. I could understand if some words or sayings is still spoken with an accent. But EVERY sentence? Nah son. you trying too hard

I lived in Syracuse off and on for four years. You don't lose an accent easily especially one as heavy as the New York metropolitan accent. I say Metropolitan accent, because New York is a big state with multiple accents the further upstate and West you go, they talk with a Midwestern accent. If you go towards CT/VT, you'll hear a New England accent.

Why would you fake a NY accent for years? I know a person who has not lived in NY or even the east coast for years but still has a very strong accent. Reason? Can this person be trusted?

accents don't just go away willie nillie.....

and now with da internet, da ish you listen is now portable which reinforces da feel.

I know a puerto rican from philly that moved to toronto in his mid 20s. More than 10 years later he still talks like a philly rican and never once did i think he was faking/trying hard to hold onto his accent. Dude sounds exactly like danny garcia.

Not sure why your so confused OP

Just think of all the actors from Australia, England, and Ireland who have lived in the states for years and part of their job is to learn different accents, they still talk where they grew up

NY area military guys were notorious for this

they see value and status in broadcasting that they are connected to NY

NYers are by far the biggest posers of anyone ive met in the military or from working off shore

i was stationed in Florida for a few years. when it was time to hit up the beach most folks would have on normal beach wear...

NY dudes?
wife beater
swimming trunks
white socks
TIMBS
and dog tags

to the ****ing beach

.....because they gotta let you know

they cant turn that **** off foreal.

cant.

its fascinating to watch

^ yoooooo :lol:
Truth be told, I was stationed in San Antonio and the NYers def wanted to be known that they were from there. Kid wasn't even from the city and tried to pull some accent. Someone told him to shut yo watertown mouth b

Back
Top Bottom