for Nters who stopped drinking...

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

Got promoted, almost drunk a hole bottle of crown black then blacked out. Woke up in the middle of the night throwing up, and continued to throw up for 48 hrs straight. I lost 10 pounds and was scared to go to the hospital because I would have probably got in trouble with my job. I told them I was food poisoned and missed my promotion party and a day of work. I couldn't hold down food and it hurt to swallow for a week. It really messed me up, I refuse to drink anything now because I never want to go thru that again...... Cold turkey is the way to go. the next week I used mouth wash after I brushed my teeth and threw up because it reminded me of alcohol
tired.gif
Gotta know your limits while maintaining some self control.  If you enjoy drinking, then you shouldn't let one bad event stop you. As a grown man, just don't act like a freshmen girl in college
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SoLeCiTy

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Follow-up question, for the dudes who have quit cold turkey how has it affected your social life on the weekends? I've slowly been cutting down my drinking nights but I find I literally have nothing to do (as a single male) on Friday and Saturday nights because everyone I know and like is out on the town. Then I fall asleep at like 9 each night and wake up refreshed but *shrug* sorta bored out of my mind.

Read what I wrote up top.. You usually find yourself losing friends because you are surrounded by people who all they do is drink and bar hop and club. Some friends I have didn't understand so they left me hanging and others ( handful) respected it. I to find myself bored at home at times but I feel good health wise, plus is cold and dangerous to be hanging in the streets now.

Pretty much what happens... I wouldn't say you "lose" them, but you definitely don't see them quite as often.  Could help you differentiate between your friends though.

well, i come from a loooong line of alcoholics and i recently quit drinking (yes, i was an "'holic"myself). i started drinking around 13 or 14 and had been doing so non stop thru my late 20s. all thru high school, college and after i would always be clubbing and at bars, partying, etc. thing is, i never really liked the taste of alcohol, just the effects. so long story short, my thing was to get to a point where i could lose my inhibitions and kinda black out so i didn't care and wasn't really aware of my actions. i think most alcoholics do this whether even if it's subconsciously.

obviously this is a recipe for disaster. i remember the day my life changed. it was 7-13-07 at an all white party here in baltimore that puffy hosted. i hadn't eaten that night and had like 8 shots of patron. i was literally sick for 2 days straight and thought i was gonna die. i still drank after that, but that actually led me to the point where i was just sick and tired of the vicious cycle. drinking, partying, hooking up with random women, waking up not remembering what happened the night before. very dangerous lifestyle that so many of us are still living as if it's normal (i had done this for soooo many years).

this situation is different for everyone. i am one of the fortunate ones. this addiction (if that's what this is for u) doesn't end well for most involved. i was fortunate enough not to need an intervention, aa meetings or any of that. just got tired man.

Originally Posted by mustbefire

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

Got promoted, almost drunk a hole bottle of crown black then blacked out. Woke up in the middle of the night throwing up, and continued to throw up for 48 hrs straight. I lost 10 pounds and was scared to go to the hospital because I would have probably got in trouble with my job. I told them I was food poisoned and missed my promotion party and a day of work. I couldn't hold down food and it hurt to swallow for a week. It really messed me up, I refuse to drink anything now because I never want to go thru that again...... Cold turkey is the way to go. the next week I used mouth wash after I brushed my teeth and threw up because it reminded me of alcohol
tired.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you suck at drinking dog

This must me one of the most ignorant remark's I've seen in a while but damn is it funny.
laugh.gif
Yep. I felt bad, but I definitely laughed. 
laugh.gif

OP, it's hard, but doable.  I know this might not be the answer that you want to hear, but it's what worked for me: tell your coworkers that you're trying to stop drinking. A few might try to "test" or tempt you, but the majority will respect your decision. A few years ago, I gave up drinking for a few months, which was hard because I worked as a door guy at a bar. Instead of beating around the bush, I told everyone that I was trying to work through some personal things and lead a healthy lifestyle. Sip Red Bulls, water, or anything else that will distract you from drinking alcohol. Also, if the pressure of your surroundings starts to be too much, get away from it all. Go outside for some fresh air, and pray/think about why you're making the decision to stop. This helped me keep my head on straight during my time working at the bar.

Good luck, and congrats on having the courage to ask for advice/tips 
pimp.gif

thanks for the help...its just hard as **!@ when all your friends in the biz drink like a mofo...!%%$ me im typing this while drunk....how ironic.
the next couple weeks are gonna be crucial for me

there's probably no answer to how to maintain the same social life going from heavy drinking/smoking etc. to being sober.. you really can't hang out with the same people. you're either gonna be pulled back into it, or you wont have fun the way you use to .. & to be quite honest people wont view you in the same way & may not treat you the way they used to.
i personally went from a very high paced social life where i used to drink, smoke, & other things regularly .. to being completely sober, doing mad yoga, just chillin' trying to create a better life for myself occassionally looking to go out & have a good time without being extra. i've come across people literally begging me to drink or smoke (which makes no sense to me, wth does it do for you if i have a drink or not), people not wanting to hang out with me anymore because "you changed", & the one that comes up the most is me looking around with the 
sick.gif
 face wondering why the hell i hung out with these people in these places in the first place.

so my advice to you is just find a new social group, find new interests.. once you start doing what you love the people who deserve your company will gravitate towards you. 

unless you hang out with people youve known all your life since before you started "partying" drinking etc .. i dont think the relationships will last.

OP, we have faith that you'll quit.. Some alcoholics can only live life an hour at a time, YES, it gets that serious..

Take it a day at a times, try working out, or drinking tea to curve the craving..

I drank waay too much this summer and can admit it.. Nights where my cousin and I drove home drunk from the bar and
couldn't remember a thing, to throwing up all over the house/bed and just really feeling like hell the next day
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Or how about waking and a couple hours later your face starts to tingle..
frown.gif

We got it in, though
pimp.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom