For people that moved out the parents house...

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Jay Wizzle

i live in NYC... which would explain why my insurance is so high, plus speeding tickets and a accident which was my fault in 07

Non NYC folks don't realize how crazy it is here with car insurance.

Brooklyn has the highest car insurance rates in the nation.
pimp.gif
indifferent.gif

burglaries is that why its so high?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

i live in NYC... which would explain why my insurance is so high, plus speeding tickets and a accident which was my fault in 07

Non NYC folks don't realize how crazy it is here with car insurance.

Brooklyn has the highest car insurance rates in the nation.
pimp.gif
indifferent.gif

burglaries is that why its so high?

Originally Posted by sloanboy

what is the average down payment on houses for around 250-300k?

down payment? not even. regular folks dont have money like that.
edit: i believe its typically 10-20% of the cost of the home.   

Originally Posted by thagreatj

yea i was just found what i think im gonna do is get a condo first and then when thats payed  off sell it and get a house that seems like the best plan for me im to impatient to save 25-30k

Originally Posted by thagreatj

yea i was just found what i think im gonna do is get a condo first and then when thats payed  off sell it and get a house that seems like the best plan for me im to impatient to save 25-30k

Everyone will give you a different response but it was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

I came from a successful family so moving out kind of eliminated that false belief that everything I wanted was just going to happen without having to get on a heavy grind (med-school, moving up in my current job, money). I already had a sense that I needed to work for what I wanted but it really increased my perspective ten fold in terms of gaining self-dicipline in order to move closer to my goals.

Long story short I improved as a person from having a better business mind to being a better person socially.

The second thing is even if you have a good relationship with your parents there is always a certain barrier to things that you can and can't do in the house. For instance you can't leave the peanut butter out if you are living at your parents house but if you are at your own house you can leave what ever the %**$ you want out in the kitchen and no one is every going to say anything. It actually makes you want to put the peanut butter away and keep things clean because you know its only your responsibility and no one else. 

Your house, your rules and its heaven.

Everyone will give you a different response but it was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

I came from a successful family so moving out kind of eliminated that false belief that everything I wanted was just going to happen without having to get on a heavy grind (med-school, moving up in my current job, money). I already had a sense that I needed to work for what I wanted but it really increased my perspective ten fold in terms of gaining self-dicipline in order to move closer to my goals.

Long story short I improved as a person from having a better business mind to being a better person socially.

The second thing is even if you have a good relationship with your parents there is always a certain barrier to things that you can and can't do in the house. For instance you can't leave the peanut butter out if you are living at your parents house but if you are at your own house you can leave what ever the %**$ you want out in the kitchen and no one is every going to say anything. It actually makes you want to put the peanut butter away and keep things clean because you know its only your responsibility and no one else. 

DJprestige21 wrote:

For instance you can't leave the peanut butter out if you are living at your parents house but if you are at your own house you can leave what ever the %**$ you want out in the kitchen and no one is every going to say anything. 

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.
** i actually dont belong in this thread. (freshman in college). but this is my favorite thing about being away from home

DJprestige21 wrote:

For instance you can't leave the peanut butter out if you are living at your parents house but if you are at your own house you can leave what ever the %**$ you want out in the kitchen and no one is every going to say anything. 

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.
** i actually dont belong in this thread. (freshman in college). but this is my favorite thing about being away from home

I moved back in cuz my income went way down...now I cant stand it, once Im back on my feet ill be back on my own

I moved back in cuz my income went way down...now I cant stand it, once Im back on my feet ill be back on my own

I moved out because I wasn't getting work. I moved away to another state. Now I'm working at my alma mater and I feel like I made the right choice. Yes, I'm renting, but I definitely don't have the funds or credit to buy anything right now. I'm going to save up, get my master's (get it for free as an employee), and then decide what I'm gonna do.

I wouldn't mind being back in my home state (MD), but I'm loving the reclusive-like state that I can maintain down their and the fact that I don't have to deal with the constant nagging, putting down, and admonition of my parents to get a job/you can't stay here without working.

Needless to say, this year has been a hassle and then some, but I'm still standing.

My situation is a bit different so just don't move out without considering the consequences. For me, I didn't have any money saved up. I worked a few odd end jobs first, then got the job at my school. I don't make the most money, but there is a very low cost-of-living where I'm at (WV) and I'm getting benefits. Location is key if you're planning on moving out. Places with higher costs-of-living, (DMV) for example, will make it harder to move out.

If you're working and contributing in some form or fashion, there's no reason you have to move out at all. Yes, independence and self-autonomy are very important in the maturation of young adults, but the times being as they are just don't allow for us to make those choices as quickly and without retribution as before. Show your parents that you can handle the little responsibility that you do have and soon you'll be getting their respect and maybe even financial support with moving out.

I moved out because I wasn't getting work. I moved away to another state. Now I'm working at my alma mater and I feel like I made the right choice. Yes, I'm renting, but I definitely don't have the funds or credit to buy anything right now. I'm going to save up, get my master's (get it for free as an employee), and then decide what I'm gonna do.

I wouldn't mind being back in my home state (MD), but I'm loving the reclusive-like state that I can maintain down their and the fact that I don't have to deal with the constant nagging, putting down, and admonition of my parents to get a job/you can't stay here without working.

Needless to say, this year has been a hassle and then some, but I'm still standing.

My situation is a bit different so just don't move out without considering the consequences. For me, I didn't have any money saved up. I worked a few odd end jobs first, then got the job at my school. I don't make the most money, but there is a very low cost-of-living where I'm at (WV) and I'm getting benefits. Location is key if you're planning on moving out. Places with higher costs-of-living, (DMV) for example, will make it harder to move out.

If you're working and contributing in some form or fashion, there's no reason you have to move out at all. Yes, independence and self-autonomy are very important in the maturation of young adults, but the times being as they are just don't allow for us to make those choices as quickly and without retribution as before. Show your parents that you can handle the little responsibility that you do have and soon you'll be getting their respect and maybe even financial support with moving out.

Originally Posted by SoundnFury

DJprestige21 wrote:

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

You're right who doesn't want to leave their place looking like a mess? Even if I did live on own I wouldn't want my place looking like a mess.

Originally Posted by SoundnFury

DJprestige21 wrote:

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

You're right who doesn't want to leave their place looking like a mess? Even if I did live on own I wouldn't want my place looking like a mess.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by Biggie62

im also interested in this topic and have the same issues, but have a hard time saving due to bad spending habits

$0 savings 15k in retirement funds
$800 monthly car expenses, $60 phone bill

%%+ did you buy or lease?  A 50k car yet not saving anything.  Talk about going about things wrong.
sick.gif

my car note is 408 and my insurance is 390
sick.gif
yea they rapin ol' boy...son should've had da insurance in his mama's name.

Back
Top Bottom