For The NT people that have been sleeping on Futbol(Soccer)

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

Originally Posted by 650

do the reverse of op.. play fifa -> watch soccer

This
laugh.gif

I lightweight got into soccer after playing Fifa 12 with the homies 

i got into more of the different leagues and players back in Fifa 10 UT 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

saw Leo Messi score a goal live, with my own two eyes two days ago. I now look at futbol differently.
Where? Who was playing?

the euro cup is the only tournament i have not watch in its entirety . i just got laid off couple weeks ago si i will finally be able to . people are always gonna hate on soccer . i on the the other hand have pretyy much gotten all my friends into either by watching the last world cup or going to USA or galaxy games out here in LA .

Ill try helping out OP

Just watching videos of midfield geniuses such as Andres Iniesta, Mesut Ozil, Xavi, Juan Mata, Cesc Fabregas, Zinedine Zidane (retired) and seeing how they control the ball under so much oppositional pressure is breathtaking. The skill and creativity is mindblowing.

Also, now is the best time to get into soccer. Once Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo retire, lord knows when we will see two great players like them play during the same generation.

...and i haven't even mentioned all time greats like Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Ronaldo, etc.

I could write a novel about the sport, but surely people will immediately demand cliffnotes.
tired.gif

For people who already have the "soccer is boring" mentality ingrained in their head, im probably just wasting my time with my comment since they'll most likely not give it a chance and move on.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Just the fact that you called it futbol first made me low key upset. You know most of us call it soccer, why not just say soccer firs?It seems like people that like soccer just hate the rest of us, there is a little attitude. Anyway, I'm not really mad, I just feel like an outsider. I'm not sure if they just aren't marketing it correctly, or just that most of us didn't grow up with a soccer hero like when we had MJ and Magic for basketball, Bo Jackson/Jerry Rice for football, etc. Plus, I never see it on tv in English.

I called it futbol cause that's what came up on the guide when I watched the game

How about that incredibly exciting US vs. Canada game? 0-0....what excitement!!!

Fifa for PS3 > watching soccer

I just cant get into the sport. Like watching paint dry. Although I do enjoy watching Messi highlights.

Originally Posted by dland24

How about that incredibly exciting US vs. Canada game? 0-0....what excitement!!!

I just cant get into the sport. Like watching paint dry. Although I do enjoy watching Messi highlights.

Psh, get all the way outta here with that. Not every game is exciting and awesome, just like not every football, or basketball, and especially baseball game is exciting. And trust, all of us soccer fans were pissed about that game too
laugh.gif

Haters, watch this. The description on the Youtube page will preface the video if you care.

Used to be ignorant about soccer but I notice EPL games on espn on sat mornings when I got off work...one day I got some breakfast on the way home and watched a game...been hooked ever since...soccer is highly entertaining IMO..actually started betting on it around April...mls is boring but I dig english, Italian, Spanish, German, and Brazilian leagues

Originally Posted by dland24

the problem with many American fans is that they don't understand the game.  The game is about making opportunities in spaces.  Goals come from those opportunities.  But sometimes defence can shut down those spaces and no goals are scored. 
I've seen MANY 0-0 matches that are damn exciting...

^ Thank you for that... was gonna say the same thing.

It's not about scoring lots of goals... it's about creating opportunities, setting-up plays, passing to your teammates, movement without the ball, etc...

Saying it's boring simply cuz of the low-scoring is taking the sport too much at face-value. A high-scoring game isn't necessarily a good game if a bunch of those goals game from sloppy defending, shoddy penalties and poor play.

Like Eiddy said, it's about understanding the game. I'm sure many football fans would take a 1-0 game with lots of good, creative passing and scoring opportunities over a 4-3 game of sloppy play, poor marking, shoddy defending and dubious penalties. That's not quality-football.

It's a shame that there will always be those who will look at the sport with a negative-mindset... those individuals will always look for the negatives about the game, and trying to sell them on the game will always be an up-hill battle. Sure, there are many sports that I don't understand (such as cricket), but I think I should at least give it a chance and try to understand the intricacies of it before making a decision. 
Take baseball, which I really enjoy. Many will see it as boring, but many baseball fans will appreciate a well-executed double-play that saves some runs or a no-hitter.  To someone who doesn't understand baseball, a well-executed double-play will just seem like one guy throwing a ball to another guy, who throws it to another, all within a span of a few seconds.  Or a no-hitter, to someone who doesn't understand baseball, could just mean a bunch of ground-outs or fly-out. They won't understand the significance of it.  Understanding the game is important. 

Ultimately, those who don't like the game (and fair enough if you fully-understand and don't like it anyway, cuz it's appeal is different for everyone) still represent a minority in the global popularity of football, so it's not really a big deal.

[Bill Burr] This is the only sport where the fans in the stands are actually tougher than the players on the field [/Bill Burr]

My father (who is from the West Indies) tried his best to get me into soccer but it just wouldn't work. FIFA 10 changed all of that though. Haven't looked back since. I actually started understanding it more once I compared it with the sport I watch the most (basketball). A lot of the basic concept are similar.

I used to be one of those haters but I got into the sport about 5 years ago and love it now. I watch it as much as I can, sometimes the time differences can be a pain. Looking forward to EURO

Originally Posted by enlightenedespot

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

saw Leo Messi score a goal live, with my own two eyes two days ago. I now look at futbol differently.
Where? Who was playing?

In Buenos Aires, Argentina.
It was a world qualifier match between Argentina and Ecuador in the River Plate stadium.

I think Argentina plays Brazil this upcoming weekend in another qualifier somewhere in New York/ New Jersey?

Originally Posted by Tego Calderon El Abayarde

You're wasting your time OP. Dudes catch 5 mins of an MLS game and form an opinion of the sport. The MLS compared to the EPL, la Liga or the Serie A is like the chinese basketball league to the nba. It's the world's most popular sport for a reason

I love the MLS
ohwell.gif

Galaxy better get their +!$@ together
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I thought this thread would have some substance. Watch? That's all you got? I respect soccer, but I still think you could have used this thread to actually make a point.

Back
Top Bottom