For those who came up without a father, who was your role model?

Maxxin at home listening to Illmatic/Stillmatic got me thinking about how much rappers from the mid 90's to mid 2000's influenced me and I looked up to them.

I remember I had a song for how ever I was feeling, but I can say I looked up to Tupac, Dipset, specifically Cam (I know :x). I also idolized Robert Deniros character in Goodfellas
Jimmy Conway :smokin

Last edited:
^ serious? and thats the problem... so u idolized a convicted rapist, a rapper known for wearing pink fur, and a movie character that was a murderer... cool... I looked up to my mother who busted her *** working 2 jobs, while aspiring to be everything my father wasn't. At this point, I'm responsible, have no debt, no kids,steady girl who i treat like gold, and have a job making 6 figures. When i'm ready for kids, they are my priority.

My uncles. One is a family man and the other is a business owner. Made me want to be among their ranks one day.

Batman. I don't care what anyone says. He put himself in harm's way for the sake if his fellow man. He embodies justice, in a world of near chaos.

Mr. Molina. My 8th grade lit teacher. Finally made me realize that I wasn't limited to the company I kept. Essentially told me not to let my friends dictate the person I was/would become.

Mr. White. My 9th grade geography teacher. Told me realize the world is bigger than area I grew up in and instilled in me a longing to see the world.

Mr/Brother Howard. My college mentor who showed me that the dream of being black in corporate America is possible with the right attitude and work effort. The guy who put me on track to become a member of my frat.

Now I'm about to graduate. I have no kids/wife/significant attachments holding me back from becoming a better man than I was yesterday.

step dad lol

came in my life when i was 3 and never left...hard working dude...nothing but respect

Last edited:
^ serious? and thats the problem... so u idolized a convicted rapist, a rapper known for wearing pink fur, and a movie character that was a murderer... cool... I looked up to my mother who busted her *** working 2 jobs, while aspiring to be everything my father wasn't. At this point, I'm responsible, have no debt, no kids,steady girl who i treat like gold, and have a job making 6 figures. When i'm ready for kids, they are my priority.

I was smart enough to know what to look up to and what was just straight garbage. Should have been clearer on that, cause my mother did keep me in check. I more looked up to the things they said that were positive and how they carried themselves.

And im 24, have a solid career, my savings is building up and I have a plan for my future. Def not a dead beat, pants saggin chilling on the corner all day type

I looked up to my mother (strongest woman I've ever known) and my brother (we're 12 years apart). My brother moved out when I was really young but I saw/see him make life work without a degree and take care of a child he had at a young age without baby mama drama. My mother presented responsibility to me at a young age and led by example. Right now im 23 with no kids and getting ready to graduate from college in May from a 4-year university, I'll be the first kid in my family to do so and I have many resources for work after commencement.

My mom. She busted her *^% working 2 jobs just to make sure me and my brother were good.

Gotta say moms, was pro black and deff kept me interested in sports, video games, etc.  I still remember like it was yesterday her taking me and my sister to go see X at the movies on release day.  I've respected a lot of older men, however none of them had a lasting impact/fatherly role in my life.

step dad lol

came in my life when i was 3 and never left...hard working dude...nothing but respect
This but at 6. He left in sophomore year of high school because of my moms issues. I cant blame him :smh:. I also had my grandfathers who was my big influence.

Thought anything the Biggest influence who I looked up to was Grandfathers on my dad side. He was clean as come be and always had the knowledge. No ignorance, evil or bad came from him.

Never had a "role model" but there were always people I admired for either what they stood for or their body of work. Always been my own man, to a fault most of the time. Nobody really gave a Damn about me enough to consistently stick around and drop jewels on me throughout my life. Got pockets of people like uncles and stuff but that was when I was real young and it didn't last long. Been through a lot of **** to from being homeless to almost dieing a few times and in still here and I've never been to prison. Hell, I even had the audacity to go on and make something of myself. God is real and that's my tilde model.

My mom. She worked so hard just to provide for me and my older brother. 

She's been a father and a mother to me.

An strange as it sounds, my home also. I lived in an apt. most of my life. It's motivated  me to leave, make something of myself,

and come back and remember where I came from.

Funny I saw this thread while watching this Ray Lewis ESPN piece about him having no father around, and five generations before him had no father around. That's too bad for everyone that didn't, I couldn't imagine what it would be like. :stoneface:

Last edited:
conan o'brien, lavar burton, the rock, stone cold steve austin, bob ross, eisenhower, mlk, optimus prime, professor x, zordon, alan thicke, adam west as batman.

Spiderman, Samurais,Micheal Jordan,Lupe Fiasco,Mr Yawkus my 7th grade social studies teacher,Chess Pharrell ,DCALLAMERICAN, METHOD MAN, Bobbito Garcia .Honestly Kanye was a big factor him Lupe and Pharell were lke that alternative as a nerd that were cool in there own unqiue way .Made me want to travel and find sneakers and discover music.NT is a major factor to you guys are like the corny uncles and cousins who have moments of wisdom in between loud games of dominoes.

Never had a "role model" but there were always people I admired for either what they stood for or their body of work. Always been my own man, to a fault most of the time. Nobody really gave a Damn about me enough to consistently stick around and drop jewels on me throughout my life. Got pockets of people like uncles and stuff but that was when I was real young and it didn't last long. Been through a lot of **** to from being homeless to almost dieing a few times and in still here and I've never been to prison. Hell, I even had the audacity to go on and make something of myself. God is real and that's my tilde model.
i swear you're the realest dude on NT.

my pimping a** uncle literally pimping, bloods, money getters,  Kobe/MJ, and mom

My man just said zordon! :smokin

My uncles were a big influence, mj, ninja turtles (lol), bill Bellamy in how to be a player, Zack the black ranger. As I progress deeper into adulthood, I've bonded a lot more with my dad, and look up to the people who are positive and success in life/ business and relationships/marriage.

Back
Top Bottom