For those who have visited DC... help a NTer out

Must Eat: Masa 14 on Sat/Sun Brunch....$35 Unlimited pre fixe brunch (drinks included). The $35 includes two types of bloody marys, two types of mimosas, & lemon lager. Bro...it is one of the best meals you will have. TONS of food to choose. It's tapas style so you won't get full too quickly.

A fun bar is the 8th Street Country Club. They have a 9 hole indoor mini-golf course on the 2nd level. You can have a few drinks/laugh while playing some putt putt....another cool bar (across the street) is Fruit Bat.

Adams Morgan is cool...G'Town for shopping.

Museums (except for Spy) are FREE. Make sure you also go to the Zoo.

*You can catch wizards games on the cheap. I saw stub hub had tickets to last night's bucks game for $2.

I'm kinda rambling...but that's all I got for now...I'll add more later on

Originally Posted by Im Not You

In before all the stupid +@@ unprotected sex jokes. Anyway. 
 MUST DO - Check out the nightlife. I'm tired of it...but that's because I OD'd on it. To a tourist...a night on the town should be fun.

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -  Air & Space. Check out all of them though. They're free.

MUST EAT -  Ray's Hell Burger (Arlington, VA - short walk from Rosslyn Metro)

MUST SHOP AT - I don't know about "must" but Georgetown is our cliche snobby shopping district with luxury retailers. Major is here too if you want kicks.

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -  Depends on when you're coming.

DO NOT -  Get outta pocket w/ the kids on the metro (if you're riding it). They will beat the !+%% out of you with no remorse.

AVOID DOING THIS - Simple City, Barry Farms, 640, Potomac Gardens, Sursum Corda
Agreed! 
-
laugh.gif
@ the Metro comment! It is true though, I ride everyday, just stay to yourself and ignore all the ignorant stuff you may here or see and you will be fine. (headphones and a game on the cell should do the trick)
-If you are a seafood person check out McCormick and Schmicks or Oceanaire

DC night life is cool if you just chilling...If you want to talk to females be prepaired for the stankys attitudes you may encounter in your life. (you may go 2/10 avoid sketchy females they may test positive)  

Enjoy DC!

Must Eat: Masa 14 on Sat/Sun Brunch....$35 Unlimited pre fixe brunch (drinks included). The $35 includes two types of bloody marys, two types of mimosas, & lemon lager. Bro...it is one of the best meals you will have. TONS of food to choose. It's tapas style so you won't get full too quickly.

A fun bar is the 8th Street Country Club. They have a 9 hole indoor mini-golf course on the 2nd level. You can have a few drinks/laugh while playing some putt putt....another cool bar (across the street) is Fruit Bat.

Adams Morgan is cool...G'Town for shopping.

Museums (except for Spy) are FREE. Make sure you also go to the Zoo.

*You can catch wizards games on the cheap. I saw stub hub had tickets to last night's bucks game for $2.

I'm kinda rambling...but that's all I got for now...I'll add more later on

Originally Posted by IamMD

Majority of the stuff he said to do...you should avoid.  I mean, I hope you're joking..pg plaza? wheaton mall? why would anybody ever want to do that???  Might as well tell them to hit Laurel mall for some good eats. you loafin.

on another note..everybody has a barry farms story..lol  
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Man I was reading dude's recommendations like
grin.gif
. Yea what is up with naming all of these stupid malls as sources of food.

Man avoid driving if you can. Catch the subway EVERYWHERE. No need to drive man. The DC Metro is beautiful. Just don't stare at anybody or run your mouth to the youngins because you will get tested.

Majority of the stuff he said to do...you should avoid.  I mean, I hope you're joking..pg plaza? wheaton mall? why would anybody ever want to do that???  Might as well tell them to hit Laurel mall for some good eats. you loafin.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

Man avoid driving if you can. Catch the subway EVERYWHERE. No need to drive man. The DC Metro is beautiful. Just don't stare at anybody or run your mouth to the youngins because you will get tested.

MUST EAT - Half Smoke.  Because of where I lived I was partial to the one's outside the Foggy Bottom Metro but have eaten them all around the city.

DO NOT - Bring food or drink on the Metro

MUST EAT - Half Smoke.  Because of where I lived I was partial to the one's outside the Foggy Bottom Metro but have eaten them all around the city.

DO NOT - Bring food or drink on the Metro

MUST DO -  If you're visiting in the near future, you'll want to walk around the tidal basin and see the cherry blossoms.  In the process, you can see the memorials and get a peek at the Dr. King memorial.  It's silly to visit DC for the first time and not take in the historical sights.  You should at least spend a day in the National Mall area and visit the Capitol Building, Library of Congress, Washington/Lincoln/Jefferson memorials, etc. 
MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -  Everyone will tell you to visit the Air & Space Museum and the Natural History Museum, and those are certainly great stops if it's your first time in town, but don't sleep on the art galleries.  Most DC residents I know will only visit the Air & Space Museum etc. if they're entertaining someone from out of town, but the art galleries are worth going back to time and time again.  If I had to suggest one and only one, it'd be the National Gallery of Art for obvious reasons.  Even those not into art will at least recognize some of the iconic works on display and the special exhibitions you'll find on this trip won't be around when you return.  Right now, there's a massive Paul Gauguin exhibition (over 120 works) as well as a special collection of impressionist and early modernist paintings known as the "Chester Dale collection," which includes works by Picasso, Renoir, Cassatt, Manet, Degas, van Gogh, Cézanne... you get the idea.  Go.  Really, you shouldn't just see one art museum.  At least check out the National Museum of African Art as well.

Some people like the Spy Museum, the Museum of Crime & Punishment, and the Newseum.  Those are all private museums, some of which, like the Newseum, aren't exactly a cheap date.  They're also decidedly tacky in comparison to what you'll find on the National Mall, the Phillips Gallery, etc.  Visit the National Museum of the American Indian and the Holocaust Museum instead. 

MUST EAT -  I always recommend Java Green Cafe on 19th and K, especially for people interested in going someplace casual, unpretentious, and reasonably priced. Not only is it a socially responsible business, but the food is always delicious, fresh, and healthy. Everyone I've taken there thus far has enjoyed it.  They have a sister restaurant near Dupont Circle, Cafe Green, which is a little more upscale.  I go there pretty often and it never disappoints.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]Also, check out check out Soul Vegetarian Cafe near Howard. You can't go wrong.
MUST SHOP AT -  I don't get the fascination with shopping while on vacation in the US.  If you're visiting another country and the wares are different, fine, but even if you waste a day in Georgetown it's not like you'll really find something incredible that you couldn't possibly find online or at a store near you.  

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -  First and second round NCAA tournament games will be played at the Verizon Center on March 17th and 19th.  If you miss that, you can still get your fill of amateur basketball by watching our beloved Wizards play. 

DO NOT -  listen to all the suburbanites whine about how scary DC is.  They're mainly frightened by the sight of homeless men.  I've lived in DC for years.  I've walked alone through the city late at night more times than I can count.  I've taken the metro late at night alone more times than I can count.  I've never had a problem.  Odds are, you'll be spending most of your time downtown anyway and the city places more of a priority on the safety of tourists than its own residents.  

Don't visit the zoo.  They should offer Prozac at the concession stands there.  It's that depressing. 

AVOID DOING THIS - Really, don't waste much time in Georgetown shopping.  It's nothing special.  Do things you can't do elsewhere. 

Also, avoid driving into downtown.  Traffic is awful.  DC is a great city to walk and unless you plan to be out late on a weeknight after the metro shuts down it's generally worth the expense to ride the train.  You'd pay as much or more for gas and parking and the metro is faster and more convenient.  

Avoid stopping at CVS.  They have a strangle hold on DC at the moment.  They're no more than 2 blocks apart in most of the downtown area.  It's disgusting.  Don't encourage them.

MUST DO -  If you're visiting in the near future, you'll want to walk around the tidal basin and see the cherry blossoms.  In the process, you can see the memorials and get a peek at the Dr. King memorial.  It's silly to visit DC for the first time and not take in the historical sights.  You should at least spend a day in the National Mall area and visit the Capitol Building, Library of Congress, Washington/Lincoln/Jefferson memorials, etc. 
MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -  Everyone will tell you to visit the Air & Space Museum and the Natural History Museum, and those are certainly great stops if it's your first time in town, but don't sleep on the art galleries.  Most DC residents I know will only visit the Air & Space Museum etc. if they're entertaining someone from out of town, but the art galleries are worth going back to time and time again.  If I had to suggest one and only one, it'd be the National Gallery of Art for obvious reasons.  Even those not into art will at least recognize some of the iconic works on display and the special exhibitions you'll find on this trip won't be around when you return.  Right now, there's a massive Paul Gauguin exhibition (over 120 works) as well as a special collection of impressionist and early modernist paintings known as the "Chester Dale collection," which includes works by Picasso, Renoir, Cassatt, Manet, Degas, van Gogh, Cézanne... you get the idea.  Go.  Really, you shouldn't just see one art museum.  At least check out the National Museum of African Art as well.

Some people like the Spy Museum, the Museum of Crime & Punishment, and the Newseum.  Those are all private museums, some of which, like the Newseum, aren't exactly a cheap date.  They're also decidedly tacky in comparison to what you'll find on the National Mall, the Phillips Gallery, etc.  Visit the National Museum of the American Indian and the Holocaust Museum instead. 

MUST EAT -  I always recommend Java Green Cafe on 19th and K, especially for people interested in going someplace casual, unpretentious, and reasonably priced. Not only is it a socially responsible business, but the food is always delicious, fresh, and healthy. Everyone I've taken there thus far has enjoyed it.  They have a sister restaurant near Dupont Circle, Cafe Green, which is a little more upscale.  I go there pretty often and it never disappoints.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]Also, check out check out Soul Vegetarian Cafe near Howard. You can't go wrong.
MUST SHOP AT -  I don't get the fascination with shopping while on vacation in the US.  If you're visiting another country and the wares are different, fine, but even if you waste a day in Georgetown it's not like you'll really find something incredible that you couldn't possibly find online or at a store near you.  

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -  First and second round NCAA tournament games will be played at the Verizon Center on March 17th and 19th.  If you miss that, you can still get your fill of amateur basketball by watching our beloved Wizards play. 

DO NOT -  listen to all the suburbanites whine about how scary DC is.  They're mainly frightened by the sight of homeless men.  I've lived in DC for years.  I've walked alone through the city late at night more times than I can count.  I've taken the metro late at night alone more times than I can count.  I've never had a problem.  Odds are, you'll be spending most of your time downtown anyway and the city places more of a priority on the safety of tourists than its own residents.  

Don't visit the zoo.  They should offer Prozac at the concession stands there.  It's that depressing. 

AVOID DOING THIS - Really, don't waste much time in Georgetown shopping.  It's nothing special.  Do things you can't do elsewhere. 

Also, avoid driving into downtown.  Traffic is awful.  DC is a great city to walk and unless you plan to be out late on a weeknight after the metro shuts down it's generally worth the expense to ride the train.  You'd pay as much or more for gas and parking and the metro is faster and more convenient.  

Avoid stopping at CVS.  They have a strangle hold on DC at the moment.  They're no more than 2 blocks apart in most of the downtown area.  It's disgusting.  Don't encourage them.

Originally Posted by Method Man

We have the second best zoo in the country tho?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Method Man

We have the second best zoo in the country tho?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

MUST DO - Standard tourist stuff.  National Mall/monuments, go hit up Ben's, maybe set up a congressional tour through your representative.  At least seeing the White House is a must, taking the tour is kinda
eyes.gif
imho, they don't let you see much, and it's a pain to set it up through your rep.

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) - Air and Space, Natural History, Native American.. the rest is up to you if you like art.  I like Freer/Sackler the best.

MUST EAT - Be a tourist: go to Ben's.  Other than that, Ray's Hell Burger is just about as good as the hype says it is.. like someone else said, go to 8th Street Country Club for your drinking needs.  Minigolf
pimp.gif

MUST SHOP AT - Since you're on NT.. Commonwealth/Stussy/Major/Palace 5ive are probably your best bets.  Other than that, just walk around GTown.

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS - Check DCist.com, or just hit up a Wizards game.  Walk around Adams Morgan a bit if you have the time, pretty good bar scene.

DO NOT - Stare at people on the Metro.  But use it, and use it often.. driving in DC is worthless.

AVOID DOING THIS -Like Imnotyou said... Simple City, Barry Farms, 640, Potomac Gardens, Sursum Corda, etc.  DC isn't a perfect city by any means, but that said it's not the urban nightmare some people say it is.  Just be cool and you'll be fine 
smile.gif

Hope you enjoy the trip man, DC's a great city!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

MUST DO - Standard tourist stuff.  National Mall/monuments, go hit up Ben's, maybe set up a congressional tour through your representative.  At least seeing the White House is a must, taking the tour is kinda
eyes.gif
imho, they don't let you see much, and it's a pain to set it up through your rep.

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) - Air and Space, Natural History, Native American.. the rest is up to you if you like art.  I like Freer/Sackler the best.

MUST EAT - Be a tourist: go to Ben's.  Other than that, Ray's Hell Burger is just about as good as the hype says it is.. like someone else said, go to 8th Street Country Club for your drinking needs.  Minigolf
pimp.gif

MUST SHOP AT - Since you're on NT.. Commonwealth/Stussy/Major/Palace 5ive are probably your best bets.  Other than that, just walk around GTown.

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS - Check DCist.com, or just hit up a Wizards game.  Walk around Adams Morgan a bit if you have the time, pretty good bar scene.

DO NOT - Stare at people on the Metro.  But use it, and use it often.. driving in DC is worthless.

AVOID DOING THIS -Like Imnotyou said... Simple City, Barry Farms, 640, Potomac Gardens, Sursum Corda, etc.  DC isn't a perfect city by any means, but that said it's not the urban nightmare some people say it is.  Just be cool and you'll be fine 
smile.gif

Hope you enjoy the trip man, DC's a great city!

What's up fam... please help a fellow NTer out in helping to plan a great trip - (please copy and paste)
glasses.gif

MUST DO -

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -

MUST EAT -

MUST SHOP AT -

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -

DO NOT -

AVOID DOING THIS -

a great trip to D.C?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm trying to plan a great one AWAY from here...but umm

must do- I mean depends on what you like, you can hit up some bowling spots (maryland), visit HU campus (the women there are
tongue.gif
), magic johnson theater for some movies, visit the *******'s stadium if you want.
laugh.gif

Must visit (museums?)- Air and Space museum, The Spy museum down town, hit up the Monument, and you can walk all the way up all of them damn floors
sick.gif
sick.gif
, Try to hit up the black wax museum if it's still there somewhere in Maryland, it's about slavery, also hit up the holocaust museum

must eat- well the mall's down here will give you an okay selection at their food courts...Wheaton mall, Silver Spring, P.G. Plaza.....they got some carribean spots down here (try the jerk chicken and curry chicken
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
), or you can hit up chipotle, but don't be surprised if you have to stand outside in the line...chipotle is food heaven down here to people, chik-fil-A, and you can visit the "cheesecake factory" (never been, or have i tried chik-fil-a)

must shop at- H&M, take your female friend's to forever 21 if that's their thing, Hot topic, Macy's (for the ralph lauren/lacoste section), it's up to you, or you could hit those mall's I listed..oh and how must i forget GEORGETOWN and PENTAGON CITY (it's in Virginia but the train will take you right there, just get off the train and walk straight into the mall).
pimp.gif

cool concerts/events?- Verizon Center to watch the Wizards, clubs? love, Ibiza, Lux Lounge, Fur Nightclub,  Zanzibar on the water front, Platinum, Ultra bar and lounge (very mixed crowd) most have different sections, like a spanish section, a techno section, etc...only been to Fur and Lux, it's so many clubs to list my goodness...be prepared to drop 20-25 bills, and the drinks go for $8 as I've witnessed  (don't drink lol). They also have spots that have rock and roll musicians come down and perform live, I think one's on H street N.E. but I don't know the name. For the clubs though, you have to dress casual (a button up, some casual shoes, etc), they'll turn you down wearing Jordan's and penny's.

DO NOT- come down here speeding if you drive, cameras are all up over the city and you will get caught if you think you're duke's of hazard. If you part downtown somewhere (if you can FIND a parking space) please, please put money in the meter, cus if you don't you will come back and find a ticket on your car.

AVOID- Stay out the hood's
laugh.gif
, but just by passing them on the bus/ driving you'll know which areas are bad and which are good...

ok Mr. King of D.C. since you are hating on the information I gave up like D.C. is a very *%*$$%% big place ....then you suggest what he should do.

look OP, everything i typed is good information.....it's not alot of things to do here like a big city like cali, atl, miami, texas or new york...so I gave you what we have down here.

and you must be a maryland #@$%*, nobody checking for some laurel mall....FOH!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What's up fam... please help a fellow NTer out in helping to plan a great trip - (please copy and paste)
glasses.gif

MUST DO -

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -

MUST EAT -

MUST SHOP AT -

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -

DO NOT -

AVOID DOING THIS -

a great trip to D.C?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm trying to plan a great one AWAY from here...but umm

must do- I mean depends on what you like, you can hit up some bowling spots (maryland), visit HU campus (the women there are
tongue.gif
), magic johnson theater for some movies, visit the *******'s stadium if you want.
laugh.gif

Must visit (museums?)- Air and Space museum, The Spy museum down town, hit up the Monument, and you can walk all the way up all of them damn floors
sick.gif
sick.gif
, Try to hit up the black wax museum if it's still there somewhere in Maryland, it's about slavery, also hit up the holocaust museum

must eat- well the mall's down here will give you an okay selection at their food courts...Wheaton mall, Silver Spring, P.G. Plaza.....they got some carribean spots down here (try the jerk chicken and curry chicken
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
), or you can hit up chipotle, but don't be surprised if you have to stand outside in the line...chipotle is food heaven down here to people, chik-fil-A, and you can visit the "cheesecake factory" (never been, or have i tried chik-fil-a)

must shop at- H&M, take your female friend's to forever 21 if that's their thing, Hot topic, Macy's (for the ralph lauren/lacoste section), it's up to you, or you could hit those mall's I listed..oh and how must i forget GEORGETOWN and PENTAGON CITY (it's in Virginia but the train will take you right there, just get off the train and walk straight into the mall).
pimp.gif

cool concerts/events?- Verizon Center to watch the Wizards, clubs? love, Ibiza, Lux Lounge, Fur Nightclub,  Zanzibar on the water front, Platinum, Ultra bar and lounge (very mixed crowd) most have different sections, like a spanish section, a techno section, etc...only been to Fur and Lux, it's so many clubs to list my goodness...be prepared to drop 20-25 bills, and the drinks go for $8 as I've witnessed  (don't drink lol). They also have spots that have rock and roll musicians come down and perform live, I think one's on H street N.E. but I don't know the name. For the clubs though, you have to dress casual (a button up, some casual shoes, etc), they'll turn you down wearing Jordan's and penny's.

DO NOT- come down here speeding if you drive, cameras are all up over the city and you will get caught if you think you're duke's of hazard. If you part downtown somewhere (if you can FIND a parking space) please, please put money in the meter, cus if you don't you will come back and find a ticket on your car.

AVOID- Stay out the hood's
laugh.gif
, but just by passing them on the bus/ driving you'll know which areas are bad and which are good...

ok Mr. King of D.C. since you are hating on the information I gave up like D.C. is a very *%*$$%% big place ....then you suggest what he should do.

look OP, everything i typed is good information.....it's not alot of things to do here like a big city like cali, atl, miami, texas or new york...so I gave you what we have down here.

and you must be a maryland #@$%*, nobody checking for some laurel mall....FOH!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

man you acting like I didn't name "specific places"

and he did the exact same thing i did by naming a "mall" so *$+?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
grin.gif

man you acting like I didn't name "specific places"

and he did the exact same thing i did by naming a "mall" so *$+?

IF YOU DRIVE, DO NOT SPEED, I REPEAT DO NOT SPEED. They have speed detecting cameras all over the city that snap your pic when you go over by even 5 mph. I got a ticket on georgetown ave for like 200, got sent to me and there was no appeal option.

IF YOU DRIVE, DO NOT SPEED, I REPEAT DO NOT SPEED. They have speed detecting cameras all over the city that snap your pic when you go over by even 5 mph. I got a ticket on georgetown ave for like 200, got sent to me and there was no appeal option.

Back
Top Bottom