Forbes article if I was a poor black kid

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I'm floored by the defeatist, responsibility- shirking, supporting and enabling of failure, mentality so many have developed. We have a built in, permanent crutch though so it makes it easy.

Son...you're as sheltered as the writer.
I'm not even personally attacking but your Clarence Thomas crusade is really irritating and borderline offensive to those of us that are really from the bottom. 

Originally Posted by MonStar1

When I was in school there was literally 1000's of special programs and scholarships for "underprivileged" which I could never get because my Dad was in the Army. Schools would love to have you and contrary to what homie with the Above The Rim avy said, will take you with LESSER qualifications than what everyone else would have to have. "O.K Promise" scholarship only required one to maintain a C average and then after graduation could go to any state school free + with grants for books and life expenses.

At some point you have to stop making excuses and do better, acting like white people just roll out the womb with a trust fund, college degree, and 6 figures in the bank, and heir to the Ford fortune.

Dudes want to claim they don't have internet or tv access, yet they are all over Twitter, Worldstar, youtube, Oovoo, and the like; want to claim D. Whiteman rigged the system for them to fail, but then can't answer why black women have figured it out as it relates to school, incarceration, and employment in fact at a deviation from black men that is the highest among all races; get all super defensive at mere mention of "self responsibility," because all these "Black leaders" love to try to outdo themselves on the millions of different ways they can see, "No black person should ever be held accountable for their own actions, it's all D. Whiteman's fault," and the amount of things they can blame on "him" like we're some sort of drones and he has the joystick.

I can't even imagine how bad it will be by the time I am ready to retire. Everything is trending negative at alarming rates whether it's incarceration, aids, other health related phenomena, [lack of] graduation rates, wetlock children, etc.

People who braved getting attacked by dogs to go to school have to be rolling over in their grave that we can't even get half of our men to finish.

Something has to happen.

When did I say that wasn't true? Of course there are programs out there

Dudes can go back and forth all day about this topic but the problem isn't "laziness" the problem is "the lack of value in education" combined with socioeconomical problems.  This guy in his article said what he would do if he was a "poor black kid" but what about the "poor black parent".  Kids can't teach themselves everything especially ones that come from damaged backgrounds in the inner cities.  If your generations deep into wellfare and nobody in your family has a even thought about college how can you magically say "hey I'm going to become straight A student and basically block out my environment and forget all the bad habits and traits I've picked up over the years from not only my neighborhood but my own family". 

I'm just floored by the smug mentality that many of you have.  Maybe some of you are too young or too sheltered or maybe in some cases too unrealistic. 

Again, school is NOT hard and there is ZERO excuse for failing high school. Proof of that is the large number of dumb @#$@$ who can barely read and make it to college even without playing sports. To get into even the worst colleges you need something like a 2.5, which is pretty much guaranteed if you show up to class and get an A in physical education
sick.gif
laugh.gif
I mean, all you have to do is some easy @#$ homework; you can bomb tests and still get a GPA good enough to graduate. You don't have to be a straight A student
laugh.gif
Stop setting the bar so low for yourselves

I have personally seen many kids who live in shacks, with parents who work as shoe shiners, maids (who are basically slaves with how little they get paid), etc going to school and being committed to their education in India and China. I GUARANTEE they live far worse off than what some of you call "the bottom"
roll.gif

If the last thing even a rich affluent white kid is thinking about is khan academy, what makes the writer think a poor black kid is going to take advantage of that kind of material.

The writer is implying that the rich black kid is going to be more hungry for success from the nature of which he is brought up. If that was the case his upbringings would be that of the rich and prosperous. One can argue the factors are due to oppression, but that stems from cognitive dissonance. 

Thats my building and Kurt was like family to me, lived a floor beneath my family and I watched him grow up from a child to a young man.

He did everything in his power to make it out the hood and he was on the fast track to success. Most humble and nice kid you could ever meet...the one night a friend, home from college, begs his mother to let him go to a party for the holiday weekend and his life is cut short.

This is our reality. The odds are heavily stacked against us. Season after season, year after year I watch young geniuses and super talent kids around me get crushed by the pressure of a�vicious�and unforgiving system.

Boyz in the Hood is entertainment to some of y'all but its real life to too many of us.

R.I.P. Kurt.

Family, friends say goodbye to high school football star

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

I'm floored by the defeatist, responsibility- shirking, supporting and enabling of failure, mentality so many have developed. We have a built in, permanent crutch though so it makes it easy.

I'm not even personally attacking but your Clarence Thomas crusade is really irritating and borderline offensive to those of us that are really from the bottom. 
The cold reality is someone has to be at the bottom and as much as it stings to the spirits of those who are, thats life. 

Everyone can't be equal, just ask the Soviet Union how that worked out. Perhaps North Korea can enlighten us on equality.

Vita est Vita

Go ahead. Personal attacks do not bother me 1 bit, didn't when you tried in the other thread either.

Maybe I should put it in an Aaron MacGruder cartoon, or any black comedian's routine. Then everyone would like and nod like, "haha yep, yep, true, i know people just like that." If anything is offensive, it's the perceived inferiority these so called leaders project and the degree to which everyone just accepts it as true; that everyone else is just innately that much better.

Are black people really that susceptible to be manipulated that D. Whiteman can just "introduce" things into the community to be antonymous to any sort of progress at a whim? I think not, but apparently I'm wrong for that. Dudes on here have literally posted that if they get pregnant and drop out, it's the white man's fault, and no not a white man being involved directly in anyway. Just "the" white man.
I have personally seen many kids who live in shacks, with parents who work as shoe shiners, maids (who are basically slaves with how little they get paid), etc going to school and being committed to their education in India and China. I GUARANTEE they live far worse off than what some of you call "the bottom" smiley: roll

I know people who came over here with nothing, perhaps less because they didn't even speak the language at the time, and made something of their lives within one generation and then where even able to go back to whatever 3rd world country home is and get more.

All this talk about white people and how great they are, to be used as a measuring stick for success, average white man only makes $32,500. Asian immigrants out earn them. African, particularly the English speaking countries like Nigeria, out earn them.

Maybe the start is to cease the hero worship of the white man

Who said anything about D. Whiteman?

Seems like you're the one with the glaring inferiority complex fam.

No one is even talking about that.

Originally Posted by prestigeworldwidex21

The cold reality is someone has to be at the bottom and as much as it stings to the spirits of those who are, thats life. 

Everyone can't be equal, just ask the Soviet Union how that worked out. Perhaps North Korea can enlighten us on equality.

Vita est Vita

indifferent.gif

translation: somebody has to be at the bottom (just as long as it isnt me)

Who said anything about D. Whiteman?

Seems like you're the one with the glaring inferiority complex fam.

No one is even talking about that.

Many responses have mentioned how easy everything is for white people, and how the system is slanted against us, need I direct quote them?

Originally Posted by prestigeworldwidex21

Vita est Vita

indifferent.gif

translation: somebody has to be at the bottom (just as long as it isnt me)

As foul as his statement sounds...its true.
American Capitalism must have a significant lower class for it to function. A social caste/class pyramid is inherent in it's creation.

Thats why all of this pull yourself up by the bootstraps talk is pure foolishness and lip service, sure there is an allowable amount of upward mobility in our economic system but it CAN NOT sustain the middle class American Dream lifestyle for the 80% + of the population. It will take a unified movement of revolutionary economics to augment this system and bring us closer to quality of life equality in the USA.

Honestly, I think folks should have these conversations behind closed doors and not out in the open. Everyone isn't on the same page. Share these types of thoughts with those that look like you or share your struggle. Otherwise it will just be a, "Do something and stop crying" back and forth. Happens every time.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Honestly, I think folks should have these conversations behind closed doors and not out in the open. Everyone isn't on the same page. Share these types of thoughts with those that look like you or share your struggle. Otherwise it will just be a, "Do something and stop crying" back and forth. Happens every time.

These convos should educate people and show a reality some people are very unaware of. but instead there's people who have no idea thinking they have the answers.

Tough to educate when there are two different realities man. Seriously think about it. You have one side that knows the tables aren't even and you have the other side that believes that anyone from the other side can make it if only they "try." Yet they don't understand the environment that those people live in and how it is so natural to not do the right thing. Not even about knowing right from wrong, some people know nothing but wrong and don't know anyone or is exposed to anyone that does/shows/knows right.

I just decided to leave it alone man. Worthless disuccsions.

The point of oppression is to pervert the system for the oppressed to become instruments of their own oppression...and that's why the cycle becomes more entrenched and continues.

The title, and essay composed is just hilarious in itself. Really mundane perspective based on gathered general information.

Okay for what it's worth I think his intentions are pure (or at least he's attempting to come off this way).. He's attempting to provide an answer to an issue than has is far more complex than perceived from his point of view.. Basically all he needs to do is follow a child around for a day to see how his square answer does not necessarily fit into the round peg that he's attempting to fill.. We can start with Maslow's Hierarcy of Needs.. He's assuming that are other things are equal, aside from the educational opportunities and where these children reside (which is obviously part of the problem in itself)..

-As a former Educator in an inner city environment (miami dade county)

The social interactions alone that a child from these environments face are so traumatic that these kids have probably seen and experienced things that this man will never face in his life. I want to refrain from writing an essay here but basically from a educator's perspective these children are deprived the basic foundation needed to achieve secondary successes. These children basically build up adaptive survival skills that place education into the background in order to maintain a sanity in their surrounding. Now does that mean it's impossible for a child to come out of these situations successful by his societal definition, no not at all.. But the chips are definitely stacked against them, and I'm sorry but society and sensationalism of our time is purely evil in distracting them from what is described as success.. These children are not only victims of happenstance but victims of a cycle that is glorified not only by those in their environment but by the same pop culture that tells them that "success" is achieved by education (sorry if I lost you).

Basically kids are told on one hand that education is the key to success but only have to look at their surroundings (community and media specifically) to see that shortcuts are easy ways out and while hard work through education may pay off in the long run, short cuts can provide reprieves from day to day struggles..

Will Expand More but for the sake of over emphasis I will let others contribute..

Great Topic..

Originally Posted by famenycity1

Man.....man this article got me heated.  It just shows the naive and arrogance of some people mainly upper/middle class whites.

This man doesn't realize that kids don't raise themselves.  He fails to realize that in these "poor black" environments there are little to no positive role models and father figures.  All this dude needs to do is watch "The Wire" season with the boys.  Hell all he has to do watch the 1st season and look at how my dude Wallace was living.  That might be an extreme example but Mr.Forbes doesn't understand the reality of these environments.

Basically every "poor black" kid should have the determination of a scholar. Basically every "poor black" kid should teach themself how to read, write, speak, and network.  They should ignore girls, sports, video games, drugs, and other distractions and have study groups in libraries. 
laugh.gif
 C'mon man normal kids don't do that.  Not white or black. Not poor or rich.  Like somebody said it just shows how uneven the playing field is.  Just think about it like this.

Middle class white kids can be normal kids and still end up having a decent life

Poor blacks can't be normal kids and still end up having a decent life because of all the factors they are born into.  It will take a Tebow-esqe effort to rise from the negative environment.  They must get 4.0 gpas, academic scholarships, stay out of trouble, and teach themself from a young age that everything they see isn't right and they should strive to become something they rarely see....a positive black man with a degree and career.

Sounds about fair...
why do they rarely see a positive black man with a degree and a career?
why do "poor black kids" have to have someone right in front of their eyes to steer them the right way...

every kid in harlem see's Vado and are spending all their time hustling to buy that fresh Polo gear, why aren't these kids looking at Chris Gardner and wanting to be like him.

he is the perfect example, no college, no positive role model, in and out of foster care... all he did was work hard, really really hard. he had no luck, but we are the framers of our own future and he framed his....

he studied hard while raising a young child and homeless.... are you trying to tell me that kids in the inner city cannot pick up a book and put down their phones?

C'mon son.....

You are joking right
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Go ask the majority of doctors, lawyers, business owners, and very successful people. Hell even add in teachers and military.  For the most part they've had a role model very close to them that has guided them.  Parent, uncle, family friend, or guidance counselor ....These inner city kids aspire to be rappers, athletes, hustlers, etc. because for alot of kids thats what they see.  They see Calvin go to college because he can hoop, that's a real person accomplishing a real goal.  You don't see kids in the inner city wanting to be doctors or have white collar jobs because they are seeing these people in real life. 

If you can see something it makes you believe you can acheive it. It also gives you the ability to see the steps involved to reaching that goal.  People do what they know.  It's human nature.  It just so happens alot of upperclass people know money and they are already a leg up. 

Stop giving us these amazing Negro stories of Jamal rising from the ashes and raising all his brothers while working 4 jobs and getting his PhD in 1 semester. 
laugh.gif
  Those are great stories of amazing determination but 1) it shouldn't take all that 2) that's not the normal for any race so why tell all blacks to be like that?

Pretty much you are saying all athletes should have the drive, dedication to the game, and ability as Michael Jordan and Kobe.  C'mon people are human and its not going to happen.

for real??? what kind of drive should to have as an athlete?? nobody should strive to be as good as Brian Scalabrine.... No matter your abilities, circumstances, economic standing, background or race you need to put it 150% effort....kids these days aren't putting in the effort. 
anything can happen and anybody can do anything as long as they do the work. and what do you mean by "it shouldnt take all that"...what should it take? should wealth and success be given to people for mediocrity?

why do they rarely see a positive black man with a degree and a career?
why do "poor black kids" have to have someone right in front of their eyes to steer them the right way...

every kid in harlem see's Vado and are spending all their time hustling to buy that fresh Polo gear, why aren't these kids looking at Chris Gardner and wanting to be like him.

he is the perfect example, no college, no positive role model, in and out of foster care... all he did was work hard, really really hard. he had no luck, but we are the framers of our own future and he framed his....

he studied hard while raising a young child and homeless.... are you trying to tell me that kids in the inner city cannot pick up a book and put down their phones?

C'mon son.....

You are joking right
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Go ask the majority of doctors, lawyers, business owners, and very successful people. Hell even add in teachers and military.  For the most part they've had a role model very close to them that has guided them.  Parent, uncle, family friend, or guidance counselor ....These inner city kids aspire to be rappers, athletes, hustlers, etc. because for alot of kids thats what they see.  They see Calvin go to college because he can hoop, that's a real person accomplishing a real goal.  You don't see kids in the inner city wanting to be doctors or have white collar jobs because they are seeing these people in real life. 

If you can see something it makes you believe you can acheive it. It also gives you the ability to see the steps involved to reaching that goal.  People do what they know.  It's human nature.  It just so happens alot of upperclass people know money and they are already a leg up. 

Stop giving us these amazing Negro stories of Jamal rising from the ashes and raising all his brothers while working 4 jobs and getting his PhD in 1 semester. 
laugh.gif
  Those are great stories of amazing determination but 1) it shouldn't take all that 2) that's not the normal for any race so why tell all blacks to be like that?

Pretty much you are saying all athletes should have the drive, dedication to the game, and ability as Michael Jordan and Kobe.  C'mon people are human and its not going to happen.

for real??? what kind of drive should to have as an athlete?? nobody should strive to be as good as Brian Scalabrine.... No matter your abilities, circumstances, economic standing, background or race you need to put it 150% effort....kids these days aren't putting in the effort. 
anything can happen and anybody can do anything as long as they do the work. and what do you mean by "it shouldnt take all that"...what should it take? should wealth and success be given to people for mediocrity?

2 words....George Bush

Its not right that a poor black kid has to be superman to accomplish the same things as white Jimmy from the suburbs who plays Call of Duty all day.  You keep missing the point man. 

im currently in my third year in law school and my homie who grew up in the pork and bean projects in orlando with a dad in jail and multiple siblings some with drug problems one dying from AIDS and he played ball and got to go to college for free at iowa and then came to law school and *#%@%@$ SHUT +%+$ DOWN!

do you know how mad these rich white kids at my law school are to see a hood !$% tatted up black dude benching 400 in the gym calling out racists at school and preaching black progressionism hard body?

this cat is a dean scholar EVERY semester and still loves the hood. the fact that these people are mad because he wasnt suppose to come here and dominate they went to private boarding schools the finest educations and he best them every semester. oooooooooooooooooowwwwwweeee thats my dawg.

my point? it is possible to raise up out the hood and be a star and it does take hard work. BUT its not just that simple. like people said those things are instilled by PARENTS and his mom used god and church to teach him how to act. and now he passes it on to his lil bro who is 12 reading huey p newton books.

what we need is more people who give a damn to turn around and help the next man. not that crab in a bucket mentality. and i dont mean just throw some money, give your time son. my moms did it for young black kid when i was a kid and he would chill in the burbs with me and my mom made sure sometimes i stayed in the hood at his house.

ill always have respect for him cause at a young age i saw how it was straight up and those were just weekends son. i hear idealist white people talking about how they like black folk and these people yet im the ONLY one they have. ive known you 3 years doggy you aint even got a picture of a black person in 5 years of photos on facebook let alone invited one othet than me to your home to watch football.

people like this dude think they know how the other side lives, but they dont know *#%@%@$ +%+$ man. i didnt grow up in the hood. parents went to college all that good +%+$. but +%+$ that +!*%! the black community still touched my fams and my uncle is a straight druggie piece of +%+$ with like 9 kids and in jail right now from running from the cops.

imma make it my duty to make sure his son my blood wont follow in his steps man.

/rant

You are joking right
laugh.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

2 words....George Bush

Its not right that a poor black kid has to be superman to accomplish the same things as white Jimmy from the suburbs who plays Call of Duty all day.  You keep missing the point man. 
nah dog YOU keep missing the point...this world isn't made for equality and everyone having to do the same thing....some people put in less effort some people put in more...the point is that NO effort is being put in by a lot of kids. Black, white, yellow or purple....it doesn't matter. people have to learn to work with what they have and work in their circumstances, and stop whining cause somebody has it easier....
Jimmy from the burbs who plays call of duty has it easier FOR NOW, wait to see how most those kids end up, especially this generation. 

the point is, no matter what situations people are in america has resources for those people to make a better life for themselves, thats what this article is saying...there is a ton of things kids can do, and a lot of effort that can be put in that just isn't being put in. a poor black kid should be proud of the superhero effort that he puts in to get ahead, that instills morals and values into people that people that put no effort just don't get. SCHOOL IS A HUSTLE JUST LIKE THE STREETS, except school has a much lower death and arrest rate than the streets....except Virginia Tech....

your argument is baseless....what is the point...its hard for a poor kid to make it so he just shouldn't try??? i don't get it man

kids caring about school work and getting high grades is not being superman...it is what should be expected from our youth....is it really that hard to get a 90 average and a decent score on the SAT???? 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Terrible mentality. 
Forbes is a terrible magazine. The editor-in-chief, silverspoon Steve Forbes, has endorsed Rick Perry for President. What else needs to be said?

There is always someone out there who has gone through the same *%$! as you, who is in the same position as you, who may have been through worse *%$! than you, but they are doing something with their lives/living a better life than you.

So there are no excuses for anyone. Just laziness.

heavenlee777 wrote:
There is always someone out there who has gone through the same *%$! as you, who is in the same position as you, who may have been through worse *%$! than you, but they are doing something with their lives/living a better life than you.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

heavenlee777 wrote:

indifferent.gif

stop making excuses

JEEEEZ
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom