|||| FREE 3.0 / 4.0 / 5.0 & iD |||| 2013 ||||

i went back to try a pair on.

the toe box area is SUPER tight. i have never had to size up in any of my nikes, but these would be unwearable if i bought tts.

tried a half size up, it was MUCH better. still tight on the upper dorsal side of the foot.

fr2's, to me, are much more comfortable.

Does anybody else think that the new 5.0's have a much tighter fit then the FR3's?

much tighter and lower toe box

Hoping somebody here can help me out please...I am relatively new to running and I love the way the Free's look and I am just wondering what pairs you guys would recommend im 6'2 200lbs and will probably be running 2-3 miles a day..the nike Free 5.0 looks great to me as does the 3

Hoping somebody here can help me out please...I am relatively new to running and I love the way the Free's look and I am just wondering what pairs you guys would recommend im 6'2 200lbs and will probably be running 2-3 miles a day..the nike Free 5.0 looks great to me as does the 3

I am 5' 9" and 195 pounds (big dude) and I actually find my 3.0s to be very nice running shoes. The added flexibility makes my heel strike transition really easy and has even reduced pain in my knees and shins. The best thing to do is if you have a friend that has them in your size, ask to try them out. It may sound weird but every shoe has its differences so whatever you feel most comfortable *running in* then get them.

I am 5' 9" and 195 pounds (big dude) and I actually find my 3.0s to be very nice running shoes. The added flexibility makes my heel strike transition really easy and has even reduced pain in my knees and shins. The best thing to do is if you have a friend that has them in your size, ask to try them out. It may sound weird but every shoe has its differences so whatever you feel most comfortable *running in* then get them.
Appreciate the help man

i got my true to size with the new free run+ 5.0

i always have from FR2, and FR3, each time they have always been snug fitting and tight, but i always beat on these, run in these, and all said in done they've always broken in just right. my right foot is also actually a bit wide and its snug right now but not uncomfortable. just continuing the trend i have done from the previous.

i always wear some nike dri fit socks.

to answer about whats recommended. 5'10 and im fat. i only run 2 miles a day 6.5-6.7mph pace. im working on the "fat" part. actually if i slow the pace i can do 3 easy. ive been running lately on the threadmill with some old huarache 2K5. it sdiff on pavement with mixed terrain.

i tried to run in a mixed terrain with 3.0 sole and its just too close to the ground for me. i like more cushion the 5.0 even 4.0 offers. but the best recommendation is to probably try them out yourself in the store.

Last edited:
I can also confirm that the 5.0 is snug in the toe box. I still bought TTS because they will most certainly break in and stretch out a little as all my free runs have prior after wearing them at least 5 days a week to the gym.

Also mdavid612, Free runs really aren't meant to for any long distance running. 2-3 miles is what they are good for. But with your body type I would recommend the 5.0. More cushion with a lot of flexibility still. I use 5.0 because I have bad knees. I'll definitely order some 3.0 uppers with the 5.0 sole soon.

I think I'm going to have settle with a 14 on the 5.0 based on this fitting information.

I may need a 14 in the 3.0 as well. If only there was a 13 1/4 id be WAY good!
Also mdavid612, Free runs really aren't meant to for any long distance running. 2-3 miles is what they are good for.

This is true ONLY for beginner runners and runners that are new to the free series and are used to traditional cushioned shoes. Frees are definitely good for longer distance runners who have been able to modify their gate or already benefit from a proper midfoot stance.

I may need a 14 in the 3.0 as well. If only there was a 13 1/4 id be WAY good!
This is true ONLY for beginner runners and runners that are new to the free series and are used to traditional cushioned shoes. Frees are definitely good for longer distance runners who have been able to modify their gate or already benefit from a proper midfoot stance.
Very true!! I have the vibram seeyas but I feel like I still need to transition more slowly. My fr2s feel like there is still too much cushion. So I got the 3.0s. I'll test run them. If I really like them I'll just stick to them instead of the vibrams. Because when I run long distance I have no complaints or pain from my fr2. My feet and legs are already used to them and my form is mid foot striking already (from heel strike). Thanks to Nike free runs it forced me to run proper form. Now I have no pain in my shin or knees.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. I'm glad to see people are benefitting of what the shoe is actually intended for.

Nike is all about gimmicks and big tech; however with the FREE series I can honestly say it may be the best thing Nike has ever done. Other brands have tried but I don't feel like anyone has executed it as properly as Nike did from the start.

Before anyone gets confused, by "executed" I mean fashion AND function. They look amazing and feel and perform even better. Wearing these to work for 8-12 hours on concrete floors these were the absolute best shoes out of anything.

/rant

I know I've missed the train on these but any suggestions on where I could find the women's 5.0 V4 leopard joints (511281-100)? Apologies in advance for being a nuisance.

Now that I've been seeing these new free more the past week. Thinking about grabbing a pair of 5.0 in the blue/bolt colorway. Planning to replace my FR2 gym shoes and skipped on the FR3's completely. Any feedback on the 5.0 for gym or just overall feel? Won't really be running in these since I have some Mizunos strictly for running. Basically will they feel like my freerun 2's and nothing different?

Now that I've been seeing these new free more the past week. Thinking about grabbing a pair of 5.0 in the blue/bolt colorway. Planning to replace my FR2 gym shoes and skipped on the FR3's completely. Any feedback on the 5.0 for gym or just overall feel? Won't really be running in these since I have some Mizunos strictly for running. Basically will they feel like my freerun 2's and nothing different?

They are a slight step towards the traditional shoe feel with these being a 5.0 opposed to 4.0 on the FR2, but the feeling will be generally the same. These are a tad bit smaller.

They are a slight step towards the traditional shoe feel with these being a 5.0 opposed to 4.0 on the FR2, but the feeling will be generally the same. These are a tad bit smaller.

Good to know. May pick up a pair just to replace my beat up FR2's. Thanks! #repped

only reason i am holding off on getting a pair of 3.0's is because im waiting to see what the flyknit free runs look like.

so the cushioning on the 5.0's will be the same as the free run 2's?

I thought the 4.0's was the same as the FR2s?

i'm confused....

The cushioning in the 5.0s is the same as in the Free Run 3s.

From what was said earlier, the Free Run 2s cushioning is more similar to the 4.0s setup. That's something I never knew or heard before this thread, though.

picked up the black/white cw, had to size .5 up on these, the fr3 fit me tts. has anyone seen the grey cw in stores?

^^ nice,

i really wanted to cop the grey one, but they didnt have it at Sports Authority to get $25 off..

didn't want another black/white pair, the 3s color blocking and style just looked too similar

free23.jpg

anyone notice the GS sizes also have the "old" fr2 sole instead of the 5.0 soles on the adults, this was started from last year im sure yall notice. where on the FR2s, you really didnt know GS sizes from adult sizes if your lady/kids could fit in them.

just wish this years had more contrast and used a true "white" sole like the FR2 above, maybe white swoosh and flywire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom