From 1995-2000, Was There Honestly A Better Rapper Than This Man??

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by mossman75

During that time....

Common,Black Thought,Pharoahe Monch,Andre 3000,Nas,Biggie,Redman,Big L,GZA>>>Prodigy

When you factor in classic records, verses, and OVERALL consistancy...
Prodigy > ALL the Ns you just named...

How are you going to clearly over look Dre like that? You re-quoted it for him, but you don't understand it yourself? I'm not coming atyou, but you're overlooking 3000 big time.

All those guys named either didn't have enough material (Biggie, GZA) or simply weren't as lyrical as P.

Three rappers aside from P that the 1995-2000 argument can be made for (lyrically speaking and consistency):

Andre 3000
ATLIens-1996
Aquemini-1998
Stankonia-2000

Black Thought - maybe not as many classic verses but 3 really good, and arguably classic albums
Do You Want More-1995
Illadelph Halflife-1996
Things Fall Apart-1999

and then like it was already mentioned, Ghostface. Maybe not as lyrical, so some may not agree.

Personally, i'd take Andre 3000 for this era and then P, but an argument can be made for all four of these MC's.

the sunset looks beautiful over the projects,
what a shame...it ain't the same where we stand at
if you look close, you can see the bricks chipped off
some time n___s miss when they lick off,
don't get clipped off

one of my favorite lesser known prodigy verses.

mobb deep = ultimate winter music. and then there was x was wack, too.. i don't wanna hear anything else about that.

I'm glad threads like this are made. I saw the title of the thread and was praying that it was Prodigy. It's ridiculous how many people overlook himwhen they talk about great rappers. He has classic material for days. Hell On Earth is the grimiest album ever made. Prodigy=
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by McFlyyy

the sunset looks beautiful over the projects,
what a shame...it ain't the same where we stand at
if you look close, you can see the bricks chipped off
some time n___s miss when they lick off,
don't get clipped off

one of my favorite lesser known prodigy verses.

mobb deep = ultimate winter music. and then there was x was wack, too.. i don't wanna hear anything else about that.

Streets Raised Me
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Yall Ns is REALLY frontin on Prodigy...

The Infamous/Hell On Earth/Murda Muzik & H.N.I.C. > Reasonable Doubt/Vol 1/ Vol 2/ Vol 3

The Infamous/Hell On Earth/Murda Muzik & H.N.I.C. > It Was Written/The Firm/I Am/Nastradamus

The Infamous/Hell On Earth/Murda Muzik & H.N.I.C. > Its Dark & Hell Is Hot/Flesh Of My Flesh/... There Was X

U now what...your right bout this...
Even if u threw out the firm album and put in stillmatic...u would still be right...
Thats probably some of the best 4 album runs in hip hop....

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Yall Ns is REALLY frontin on Prodigy...

The Infamous/Hell On Earth/Murda Muzik & H.N.I.C. > Reasonable Doubt/Vol 1/ Vol 2/ Vol 3

The Infamous/Hell On Earth/Murda Muzik & H.N.I.C. > It Was Written/The Firm/I Am/Nastradamus

The Infamous/Hell On Earth/Murda Muzik & H.N.I.C. > Its Dark & Hell Is Hot/Flesh Of My Flesh/... There Was X

U now what...your right bout this...
Even if u threw out the firm album and put in stillmatic...u would still be right...
Thats probably some of the best 4 album runs in hip hop....
eek.gif
I honestly never looked at it like that... but you'reright.

I think dudes are measuring two different things here- rapping talent and musical output.� While closely correlated, obviously these are two distinctmeasures.� Harlem On The Rise made an excellent case for Pee having the best musical output from 1995-2000... a case that has convinced me that it's likelytrue.

However, being the most talented MC is something different and I don't think Prodigy quite measures up to the other great MCs of this period.� Nas, Pun,BIG, etc. were certainly better MCs than Prodigy at that time and any other time even though the albums they released may not have stacked up to those Pee putout (or helped put out).� Strong cases could also be made for Andre, Redman, Ghostface, etc.

So I think that Prodigy probably had the most thorough albums of that period, but he wasn't the greatest MC rapping during that period by any means(although he was probably Top 5 in my opinion).

there was a lot of good artist during that period. he was just okay when you compare him to the others. i always liked havoc better but P is still dope

^^

We're talking about rappers, not albums.

Originally Posted by maddog345

It's ridiculous how many people overlook him when they talk about great rappers. >

There is a reason for this......

Originally Posted by illphillip

^^

We're talking about rappers, not albums.
you judge rappers by they albums...was da point of being talented if you can't hack it in da album world?

thats like being nice at playing ball but you suck when it comes to being in da NBA...album making is a standard all rappers can be judged upon in a evenplaying field.

Out of curiousity... What did Prodigy ever do to you illPhill??

You've always given him a hard time... I understand he's a punk, but arent 98% of rappers (and about 99% of those in the entertainment industry)

wooooooooooooow i was coming in here to expect jigga glad to c P gettin love finally FREE P!!! i think the mobb has been the most consistant outta everyone inthe game yea they put out a few weak things but theres alot of other stuff out there ... cant wait til he gets out noyd, twin, and md should do an entire albumtogether maybe even a 2 disc album one produced by alc and the other by sid roams:.

I see where you guys are coming from but,
Ghostface, Redman and Andre 3000 in that time period were better to me.

Agree with this thread .

All the other cats mentioned in here weren't capturing the essence of that time frame as well as P . It was grimey , rugged was in . The Infamous was sucha visual album , P was so vivid and continued to be . Queens was dominating Hip Hop then... Prodigy along with Nas , was at the forefront .

Blueprint dropped in 01, Black Album in 03... So Jay DEF wasn't in his prime...

Come Home With Me Dropped in 02, Dilpomatic Immunity in 03, Purple Haze in 04... Not Cam Either...

Stillmatic dropped in 01, God's Son 02... Not NaS

There was a 6 month period where this cat from Yonkers was hands down the BEST N rappin...

But all in all, I've been a HUGE Mobb Deep fan since 4th grade... Never thought P got his dues from these "new" hip hop fans... I remember those lil gift exchange %#!! we had in elementry school, I remember gettin a $10 Best Buy gift card in 6th grade... Went out and copped Hell On Earth (on tape)... The cashier had to ask my step pops if he was OK with me gettin it since it had a "Parental Advisory" sticker
smh.gif
pimp.gif

When you factor in classic records, verses, and OVERALL consistancy...

What about Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Confession of Fire, It was written ?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom