Gay Rights slams Kobe-- "what a disgrace" Kobe gets fined 100k

Originally Posted by Method Man

Someones alwayyyysss offended. Just shyuttt up. I'll say what Kobe said whenever I want to. Everybody knows Kobe said it out of frustration, like Kobe ill say whatever I want to say out of frustration. Unless im talking directly to you its not your problem.
You have the legal right to say what Kobe said, but that doesn't make you immune to the consequences of your actions. 
People have every right to be offended by this and the league has the right to issue a fine.  

If, at your job, you use an anti-Muslim slur out of frustration you're probably going to get fired - and with good cause.  Imagine that you said exactly what Kobe said while at work, within earshot of clients/customers.  Given the percentage of Kobe's annual salary involved, I think he got away relatively easy.  Many people in the "real world" would lose their jobs on the spot.  

Let's be real: had it been Othyus Jeffers and not Kobe Bryant, it wouldn't have been televised but, if it were, he'd be packing his bags for Greece right now.  Kobe will be forgiven because he's Kobe.  An expendable player would've been dropped outright, just like Javaris Crittenton's career basically ended after his run-in with Gilbert Arenas went public. 

And what justice does Kobe apologizing do?

Granted, a forced apology doesn't mean much, but kids who idolize him should at least hear him admit that it's not cool.  
If he wants to do something meaningful, he should voluntarily donate $100,000 to the Human Rights Campaign Foundation himself. 

I never said I think I should be able to say what he said in a work environment. That along with any other bad word, derogatory or not. I'm not saying I think we should be in our cubicle and and be able scream ******* when the computer freezes. 
But lets be real here they are playing basketball. Thats hardly a typical work environment. You say he has to apologize because kids idol him and you dont want them to get the wrong idea. How many times do you hear Carlos Boozer getting hacked near that microphone on the rim and he yells out a curse. Why isnt he getting fined so kids are getting the wrong idea that its ok to scream what he said, or being forced to apologize. What if he got heated and said the B word opposed to what Kobe said. Either way your degrading somebody. If we are going to treat this like a normal work environment you cant anything thats a curse or derogatory. We know thats not happening. This wasnt a interview, it was in game and they had the camera zoomed on him for a bit too long which is skeptical. Given the situation, you're an idiot if you're thinking he was about to say gal darnit anyway, these refs i tell ya geez la weez.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Someones alwayyyysss offended. Just shyuttt up. I'll say what Kobe said whenever I want to. Everybody knows Kobe said it out of frustration, like Kobe ill say whatever I want to say out of frustration. Unless im talking directly to you its not your problem.
You have the legal right to say what Kobe said, but that doesn't make you immune to the consequences of your actions. 
People have every right to be offended by this and the league has the right to issue a fine.  

If, at your job, you use an anti-Muslim slur out of frustration you're probably going to get fired - and with good cause.  Imagine that you said exactly what Kobe said while at work, within earshot of clients/customers.  Given the percentage of Kobe's annual salary involved, I think he got away relatively easy.  Many people in the "real world" would lose their jobs on the spot.  

Let's be real: had it been Othyus Jeffers and not Kobe Bryant, it wouldn't have been televised but, if it were, he'd be packing his bags for Greece right now.  Kobe will be forgiven because he's Kobe.  An expendable player would've been dropped outright, just like Javaris Crittenton's career basically ended after his run-in with Gilbert Arenas went public. 

And what justice does Kobe apologizing do?

Granted, a forced apology doesn't mean much, but kids who idolize him should at least hear him admit that it's not cool.  
If he wants to do something meaningful, he should voluntarily donate $100,000 to the Human Rights Campaign Foundation himself. 

I never said I think I should be able to say what he said in a work environment. That along with any other bad word, derogatory or not. I'm not saying I think we should be in our cubicle and and be able scream ******* when the computer freezes. 
But lets be real here they are playing basketball. Thats hardly a typical work environment. You say he has to apologize because kids idol him and you dont want them to get the wrong idea. How many times do you hear Carlos Boozer getting hacked near that microphone on the rim and he yells out a curse. Why isnt he getting fined so kids are getting the wrong idea that its ok to scream what he said, or being forced to apologize. What if he got heated and said the B word opposed to what Kobe said. Either way your degrading somebody. If we are going to treat this like a normal work environment you cant anything thats a curse or derogatory. We know thats not happening. This wasnt a interview, it was in game and they had the camera zoomed on him for a bit too long which is skeptical. Given the situation, you're an idiot if you're thinking he was about to say gal darnit anyway, these refs i tell ya geez la weez.

Meth...all fined money go towards a charity...idk if the player gets to choose though

Meth...all fined money go towards a charity...idk if the player gets to choose though

Okay, off topic, but that username/avy combo is
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

its not that big a deal
i call people the same daily out of frustration
$%*% happens
i dont apoligize for nothin
pimp.gif

kobe sucks tho

its not that big a deal
i call people the same daily out of frustration
$%*% happens
i dont apoligize for nothin
pimp.gif

kobe sucks tho

Given the situation, you're an idiot if you're on the bench during a nationally televised game shouting a slur.  There's a reason why Michael Jordan and countless other players used to hold a towel over their mouths whenever they were on the bench and making comments they didn't want the whole world to know about.  This isn't somebody's cubicle we're talking about.  This is a guy practically shouting something in a stadium packed with fans.  
Let's not equate curse words with slurs, either.
Again, if we object to Mel Gibson making racist & anti-semitic comments during private phone calls, we ought to take exception to this as well.  It's nothing new, but that doesn't make it right, either.  Yes, the camera focused on Kobe because he's a star player, but you'd suffer a relatively harsher penalty if caught doing the same thing at your place of business, too, so I don't really get that argument.  It's offensive any way you slice it.  

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It goes to this "NBA Cares" stuff, which is at least in part publicity for the league.  [/font]
Either way, being compelled to do something by the league isn't the same as voluntarily taking action yourself.  I think it would be a classy move on Kobe's part to give to the HRCF and acknowledge that he made a mistake.  It's not hard to say, "where I grew up, people used this word all the time as an insult and I now realize that it's a deeply offensive slur.  That's not what I'm about and I'd like to contribute to the HRCF to help make sure that kids growing up today don't fall victim to the same mentality.  I'd like my fans to know that I'm a supporter of LGBT rights and that I truly regret my actions."  
David Stern likes to put on a big show for the fans to demonstrate that he keeps "his" players well under heel.  Many of his penalties are preposterously heavy-handed and seem designed to appeal to racists out there who want to see the Allen Iversons of the world kept in "their place."  Rather than begrudgingly accept Stern's punishment, Kobe could voluntarily step up, take the lead, and prove that he's better than this.

Given the situation, you're an idiot if you're on the bench during a nationally televised game shouting a slur.  There's a reason why Michael Jordan and countless other players used to hold a towel over their mouths whenever they were on the bench and making comments they didn't want the whole world to know about.  This isn't somebody's cubicle we're talking about.  This is a guy practically shouting something in a stadium packed with fans.  
Let's not equate curse words with slurs, either.
Again, if we object to Mel Gibson making racist & anti-semitic comments during private phone calls, we ought to take exception to this as well.  It's nothing new, but that doesn't make it right, either.  Yes, the camera focused on Kobe because he's a star player, but you'd suffer a relatively harsher penalty if caught doing the same thing at your place of business, too, so I don't really get that argument.  It's offensive any way you slice it.  

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It goes to this "NBA Cares" stuff, which is at least in part publicity for the league.  [/font]
Either way, being compelled to do something by the league isn't the same as voluntarily taking action yourself.  I think it would be a classy move on Kobe's part to give to the HRCF and acknowledge that he made a mistake.  It's not hard to say, "where I grew up, people used this word all the time as an insult and I now realize that it's a deeply offensive slur.  That's not what I'm about and I'd like to contribute to the HRCF to help make sure that kids growing up today don't fall victim to the same mentality.  I'd like my fans to know that I'm a supporter of LGBT rights and that I truly regret my actions."  
David Stern likes to put on a big show for the fans to demonstrate that he keeps "his" players well under heel.  Many of his penalties are preposterously heavy-handed and seem designed to appeal to racists out there who want to see the Allen Iversons of the world kept in "their place."  Rather than begrudgingly accept Stern's punishment, Kobe could voluntarily step up, take the lead, and prove that he's better than this.

Anyone working at any half decent place could lose their job for uttering the same slur. This ain't the playground or a closed practice. I'm sure Kobe's fine with the fine. Whatever. Just move on, people.

Anyone working at any half decent place could lose their job for uttering the same slur. This ain't the playground or a closed practice. I'm sure Kobe's fine with the fine. Whatever. Just move on, people.

Kobe apologized in the morning, before the game, post game, and post post game.

Did anyone read or hear any of it? Doesn't seem like it from some responses in here.

Kobe apologized in the morning, before the game, post game, and post post game.

Did anyone read or hear any of it? Doesn't seem like it from some responses in here.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by Furrell

laugh.gif
Homophobe. They use that word for everything SMH.

EXACTLY. Every damn time someone disagrees with anything involving gay anything, "you're just an unaccepting homophobe". Really? You can't control everything.

Kobe was out of line though. If a player said the N word, I'd be saying the same thing.
You think that homosexuality is a choice, though
eyes.gif

Anyways, everything that needs to be said about this matter has already been said.

It's sad how hard these Team Lakers folks are riding Kobe. This is why I stay out of Laker-related threads on NT.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by Furrell

laugh.gif
Homophobe. They use that word for everything SMH.

EXACTLY. Every damn time someone disagrees with anything involving gay anything, "you're just an unaccepting homophobe". Really? You can't control everything.

Kobe was out of line though. If a player said the N word, I'd be saying the same thing.
You think that homosexuality is a choice, though
eyes.gif

Anyways, everything that needs to be said about this matter has already been said.

It's sad how hard these Team Lakers folks are riding Kobe. This is why I stay out of Laker-related threads on NT.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Seriously if there's one con about America, its being a melting pot type of society, its that everyones too damn sensitive.

And what justice does Kobe apologizing do? Like i said any reasonable person can understand why he said it. We all know he HAS to apologize cause of his image. We know he said to himself  "damn they caught that on TV....looks like i gotta write a letter."

aint this the damn truth 
and i agree with a few others on here 

BTW i am not the type to get sensitive about anything 

But walk down the street in any major big city in the U.S and you can hear many people under 40 years old in a day just throwing around the N world and no one makes a big deal about it 

i think personally thats more of a problem 

Originally Posted by Jay02

Seriously if there's one con about America, its being a melting pot type of society, its that everyones too damn sensitive.

And what justice does Kobe apologizing do? Like i said any reasonable person can understand why he said it. We all know he HAS to apologize cause of his image. We know he said to himself  "damn they caught that on TV....looks like i gotta write a letter."

aint this the damn truth 
and i agree with a few others on here 

BTW i am not the type to get sensitive about anything 

But walk down the street in any major big city in the U.S and you can hear many people under 40 years old in a day just throwing around the N world and no one makes a big deal about it 

i think personally thats more of a problem 

I have played sports for most of my life and for much of that time, homophobic slurs were part of the game's lexicon. However, I made a conscious effort to not use terms used to describe homosexuals as pejoratives and pretty soon what was second nature is now gone. Honestly, it is liberating. When I am playing hoops or Xbox, I can customize my non racist, non homophobic, non profane verbal jabs and they tend to get people a lot angrier than they would in the face of generic slurs and verbal jabs.

I have played sports for most of my life and for much of that time, homophobic slurs were part of the game's lexicon. However, I made a conscious effort to not use terms used to describe homosexuals as pejoratives and pretty soon what was second nature is now gone. Honestly, it is liberating. When I am playing hoops or Xbox, I can customize my non racist, non homophobic, non profane verbal jabs and they tend to get people a lot angrier than they would in the face of generic slurs and verbal jabs.

Originally Posted by moundraised23

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

You gotta be real simple to think being homosexual is a choice.
laugh.gif

You choose to act on that sexuality, you don't choose that sexuality.

Did you choose to be attracted to +#!**?

its not a choice? one of my best friends use to get mistreated and used by men all the time. she told me one day she was sick of men, they were all dogs,  and shes gonna try girls out now. shes been lesbian ever since.

she was 34 with 2 kids when she told me that.

i guess being born that way only kicks in when your in your mid 30's?

my ex girl's brother is gay...he has a lil girl who is like 8 now...i asked him and his boy toy at the time what made them wanna be gay
i've seen pics of him and chicks he's related with in the past
he basically said it was a CHOICE he made due to bein lied to by so many females & the chiks he was dealin with were are +%%%!* and did him dirty or took advantage of him due to his funds
some dude came along and swept him off his feet when he was 25
he made it very clear to me that this was not a born-with ordeal, but a choice he made to be gay
maybe some folks are born gay, but to me, you choose to be it
yall can argue it all u want
YUP. maybe some people think they are born gay but not everyone is born gay.

Back
Top Bottom