Germany's Second Largest City To Ban Cars By 2034

Would you be in support of an automobile ban in your locality ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Article courtesy Travis Okulski @ Jalopnik

Germany is one of the most car friendly nations in the world thanks to the Autobahn. That's what makes the car unfriendliness of the cities such a surprise. Like Hamburg, which wants to ban all cars.

In just 20 years, Hamburg wants to make cars and traffic jams in the city center totally obsolete. Banning cars is the simplest way to do that. Hamburg is Germany's second largest city, which means there are a lot of cars around there.

Instead, many of the major thoroughfares will be replaced with green spaces for outdoor activities. People will need to take public transit, bikes, or just walk to get around. As you'd expect, this is a controversial plan, but it is believed a majority of Hamburgians support the initiative. As of now, it's still 20 years off. We'll see if it actually comes to fruition.

Last edited:
London has already passed a tax for all cars entering the city. It's not that surprising that it would be proposed if a city is facing that much congestion. L.A. has been trying to discourage people from driving their cars for years.

It would be amazing to see more green space. The green roof sustainability design can only do so much.

can we get that hyperlopp underway. and more alternative modes of transportation that don't suck like riding the bus.

european cities generally stress more population dense designs (although i can't speak on Hamburg since I've never been there but assuming it is since they want to do something like this).

considering the mass focus from urban to suburban living following WWII, most American cities and municipalities, outside of Chicago, NY, Phila, SF, DC, Seattle (maybe a few others I'm forgetting), were designed to be sprawled out, requiring some form of motor transit.
i really have no idea what I'm talking about...

Last edited:
european cities generally stress more population dense designs (although i can't speak on Hamburg since I've never been there but assuming it is since they want to do something like this).

considering the mass focus from urban to suburban living following WWII, most American cities and municipalities, outside of Chicago, NY, Phila, SF, DC, Seattle (maybe a few others I'm forgetting), were designed to be sprawled out, requiring some form of motor transit.

Rep to you for admitting you have no idea what you are talking about.

I wish others would follow suit

London has already passed a tax for all cars entering the city. It's not that surprising that it would be proposed if a city is facing that much congestion. L.A. has been trying to discourage people from driving their cars for years.

How's the public transportation in LA? I know they have buses but how is their train systems? My friend moved to cali and he said people don't like taking taxis because it feels beneath them.

I like this idea.

People are gonna be forced to get active

Last edited:
Rep to you for admitting you have no idea what you are talking about.

I wish others would follow suit
urban planning is fascinating to me and i try to read as much as i can 

...but yes I'm not formally educated on these kinds of issues and only reiterated informative articles i have read 
frown.gif

Last edited:
I like this idea.

People are gonna be forced to get active

People in cities are more active anyway. They do a ton of walking. Public transportation can be a real pain sometimes, especially in nyc with dirty trains and all the weirdos.

Damn homie, you sure going hard against cars. Did a car take your gf or something?

Last edited:
It really depens how the city is shaped imo. It seems impossible to implant in some cities. You also need you public transport system to be A1. Prices must be low too since it now has the "monopole" of the transportation (longer distance) and you can't take advantage of that as a city if you decide to ban cars.

I like the idea even if it's a bit extreme. I would just apply a tax on cars in the city, if you are ready to pay it, then you can drive. A price always makes people ajust to the situation.

Damn homie, you sure going hard against cars. Did a cae take uour gf or something?

I didn't see who the op was. He must've gotten into a fight with a car and wants all cars destroyed now.

Last edited:

How's the public transportation in LA? I know they have buses but how is their train systems? My friend moved to cali and he said people don't like taking taxis because it feels beneath them.
:lol:

:lol: Had me going there. I was like "this guy seems to be some sort of urban planner or something"

Reactions: Ube
i think this would be pretty cool.

more exercise, less accidents, less fat people, less pollution, less fat people.

it would have to be only in cities though, where public transportation is already in place. im not walking 10 miles to work.

I'd be all for this in my city if there were alternatives to taking the ****** *** bus. Trains would be a start

Damn homie, you sure going hard against cars. Did a cae take uour gf or something?

What makes you think Im against cars ? Most people on this site know that couldn't be further from the truth.

Im just asking questions and gauging the room.

L.A. has been trying to discourage people from driving their cars for years.
I wouldn't say L.A. has discouraged drivers at all, but have finally taken steps to offer an alternative. We aren't a city that's known for our public transportation because of how spread out things are. With how long it takes for a freeway project to be complete we definitely need to take other measures. This is an interesting direction for a major city to go in; I wonder if it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom