Giving Speeches in class...

Just wanna know, when you guys have to do speeches for class, how do you prepare & go about a speech?I'm someone who has to get the class laughing while speaking. Makes it so much easier. Anybody ever tried to be funny, like crack a joke about a topic, and the class gives you the stoneface? Yeah, *!$# is horrible haha

I was never good at those.
tired.gif

if your a natural funny guy then you should have no problem.
forced jokes are pretty obvious though so if that's not your personality then stay away from them

just know your info, practice, practice, practice, practice and you should be fine.
at the end of the day you're not up there to be a comedian but to give info and get a grade.

I am never good at talking about a subject I just learned a week prior to more than 5+ people.

I would say if you want to come in with a joke...do so...but don't get derailed if you didnt get laughs on it...keep it moving with a smile on your face and good knowledge about the topic at hand.

If you can tie the joke in with the subject matter, you're money.

Cue cards are good; just don't rely on them.

Have a presentation in thirty minutes about Realist an Idealist notions surrounding Obamas decision to withdraw froma proposed cyber-offensive attack on Libya before everything started popping off, have NO idea what I'm going to talk about. Wish me luck lol

I prefer it. I love all the attention on me. there's so much control in being in the front of the class. they hang onto every word. I will admit I'm a great speaker, I have great presence and I'm naturally funny, easy going, so it makes things that much easier, but with enough practice anybody can be just as good as I.

I can get up there and talk about anything. I love to go off the cuff.

Just relax homie..

You're not Obama so you're not expected to deliver a perfect address - just go out there have fun and do your best

make a friend with everyone class mate will make the speech 100% easier.

_

i thrive on this kind of thing.

public speaking has always been my forte.

the best is when you ask to be the first one to go.

-get it over with early
-blow them away with my natural charisma and speaking ability
-set the bar high and watch everyone else implode on themselves like a dying star.

The best way to prepare is to write down what you're gonna say, prepare for questions, and that's about it.

The worse thing you can do is think about how to make people laugh and so on. All that should come naturally.

be god like and you will have no problems
i hate speaking but i give great speeches with my god like presence.

Honestly, think about what happens when you listen to others. Do you care what they say? Do you really listen? Most of the time, by the next hour past your class time, no one cares. What happens when they make a mistake? You may laugh and care for maybe 30 minutes or an hour. Maybe it's a topic of conversation that night for dinner.. Stop believing that people care what you have to say and that it'll change their life.

I sometimes just feel "hey this guy is boring. Im barely listening". So if I don't care much about what is happening, why as a speaker, do I believe that all eyes are on me.. All eyes may technically be on you, but minds are likely waundering

Rehearse. Write a few notes on come cards for organization and flow of ideas, but don't just read straight off of them the whole time. Look at the audience and take it slow.

I just go up and talk. No rehearsal or anything. I try and make it more like a conversation so I can talk slower and to calm myself.

Use to be awful at it.. I would sweat... My heart would pound, and you could hear my voice was full of nervousness...

Then one day I just said there isn't anything to be afraid of.. No one is going to laugh at you, or make fun of you.. I took a deep breath and killed a presentation..

Now I am able to pretty much do a presentation without note cards, and effectively communicate what I want calmly and in a confident manner.

You just have to tell yourself, there is nothing to fear about it. It isn't something like death that is forever.. A presentation lasts 10-15mins then it is over with. The more confident you are in your own abilities, the better the presentation will be, and the better grade your teacher will give you.

I don't usually practice it because it makes me feel like I need to stick to that script. Usually I'll go over the key points and just make sure to hit all of them later on.

Humor is usually hit or miss so I don't mess with that. I do however try and get the audience involved, either by asking them questions or sharing personal stories I feel they can relate to.

I used to be deathly afraid of presentations..then I realized that most people in class aren't even paying attention.
laugh.gif

Practice a few times ..don't be afraid to pause and regather your thoughts if you trip up..that's better than running through something and
mumbling/stuttering like "Uhhh ummm uhhh".

Smiling a lot also makes you feel more confident. Having friends out in the class audience always helps too when you can look at them for comfort..as long as they aren't trying to make you laugh
laugh.gif

Dropping a joke or two is always great too..once you have people laughing..it's such a good feeling.

Well for me seeing someone BOMB
laugh.gif
hella helps because I know my speech/presentation won't be as bad. MAN UP & think positive and ur good.

Back
Top Bottom