Going Back to College at Age _____

I want to go back to school. I actually want to go back to my old college Saint Rose but I was on a scholarship and took two summer courses which ended up being my future defaulted payments on mystudent loan. Whenever I do go back I may need to live on campus because I currently live with my mother in Orlando absolutely pure hell. I'm bored to death. I'm 29 years old and time isn't slowing down what are my options for housing after I pay off my student loan. I haven't been back to school since 25. I have had pure bad luck since breaking up with my ex. Not only housing but how realistic is me going back to school. My gpa fell to a 1.99 because of those summer courses.

Last edited:
Yo I think it is important you take time to consider, what it is you are going to go back to school for. I am not speaking about what you will study during school, but why go back?The reasoning can't be because you are bored. I'm all about self improvement though, and it is never too late or old as they say. I have a buddy who went into architecture at 32, dude just graduated.

When ever you look to the future, and think damn I'm going to dedicate 4 years of my life to this, and get nervous. Take a minute look back at the last 4 years that passed, and how quickly they so did.

Time flies, both in aging and achieving your goals.

Yo I think it is important you take time to consider, what it is you are going to go back to school for. I am not speaking about what you will study during school, but why go back?The reasoning can't be because you are bored. I'm all about self improvement though, and it is never too late or old as they say. I have a buddy who went into architecture at 32, dude just graduated.

When ever you look to the future, and think damn I'm going to dedicate 4 years of my life to this, and get nervous. Take a minute look back at the last 4 years that passed, and how quickly they so did.

Time flies, both in aging and achieving your goals.
4 years is nothing, go back now and get your degree.  I can't stress this enough, things are still not all the way back economically in this country and many with actual college degrees are struggling as well.  Nobody can take that degree back even with bankruptcy and tragedy that may occur.  The competition is fierce in today's job market.  I went to med school with many people in their 30s and 40s.  I went through residency training with a guy in his early 60s!  It can be done.  And don't be misled by those that give 1 in a billion stories of people who dropped out of college like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.  Clearly they are the far minority in this game.

Don't commit to something so expensive, and time consuming, because you're bored.

You should sit and jot down the reasons why you want to go back to school. If your reasons are legitimate, then go for it.

Also, "Saint Rose" sounds like a private school.

I would honestly suggest you avoid private schools this time in your life. Consider the 2 year at a CC followed by another two at a state (public) university/college route. You'd get the same education at Saint Rose, but at a significant discount--pennies on the dollar.

Don't commit to something so expensive, and time consuming, because you're bored.

You should sit and jot down the reasons why you want to go back to school. If your reasons are legitimate, then go for it.

Also, "Saint Rose" sounds like a private school.

I would honestly suggest you avoid private schools this time in your life. Consider the 2 year at a CC followed by another two at a state (public) university/college route. You'd get the same education at Saint Rose, but at a significant discount--pennies on the dollar.

True. Good Knowledge.

my roommate my last year at college was 29 years old; you would never have known if he didn't tell you

You are in Orlando where they have two pretty good CC's (Valencia and Seminole State) and they can funnel you directly into UCF if your plan is to stay in this town. UCF is a good school, not nearly the cost of a private institution and the yambs are top notch. Make sure this is something you are fully committed to before taking the leap and have a goal in mind before you start.

I have taken summer courses at Seminole State and even at 29, there is no way you'll be the oldest person in the classroom. It's never too late to go back to school and in this day and age a degree is pretty important. If you don't have a connect it can be pretty tough to get Interview without one. Best of luck OP.

Last edited:
I want to go back to school. I actually want to go back to my old college Saint Rose but I was on a scholarship and took two summer courses which ended up being my future defaulted payments on mystudent loan. Whenever I do go back I may need to live on campus because I currently live with my mother in Orlando absolutely pure hell. I'm bored to death. I'm 29 years old and time isn't slowing down what are my options for housing after I pay off my student loan. I haven't been back to school since 25. I have had pure bad luck since breaking up with my ex. Not only housing but how realistic is me going back to school. My gpa fell to a 1.99 because of those summer courses.
Well my father has been back in school for almost 2 years now, and he will be 50 in September (I'm 19 btw). He's been attending the local community college for vocational courses (I don't exactly remember his major, I just know it has something to do with electrical issues, things like that. It's been at times hard for him, finding time to study, being back in school for the first time since he graduated HS, but he's been able to managed. Matter fact, he should be able to get his degree soon. So it's definitely possible to go back to school, no matter what your age is.

Like everyone else said, its never too late to go back. Just make sure its worth going back.

No matter what, school is going to cost some money.

Don't just go back to major in Journalism or something. :lol:

You're never too old to go back to school but make sure that's exactly what you want to do before dedicating the money.

29 ain't too old to go back. If that degree will help you get a better job, get that degree

29 ain't too old to go back. If that degree will help you get a better job, get that degree

Yea I wanna finish the hardpart then on to my masters but I'm relying on financial aid. I'm currently trying to consolidate my loans I only owe 2gz been like 6 years I ain't even know. Bad?? Info??

I've been down on myself for being 23 and only one year into college. This really opened my eyes and made that seem like a petty thought.

I would go to a public school over a CC. CC are fine just say it better to start in the 4 year if you can

If you plan to stay in Orlando, can enroll into Valencia. I heard some programs they offer a Bachelor's, but you can always start at Valencia and then attend UCF. Don't worry about the age thing, I saw plenty of older people when I was a student there and theres just so many students there that no one really pays attention. They keep building housing around UCF, but I think the cheapest for housing would be the older dorms on campus.

Last edited:
If you plan to stay in Orlando, can enroll into Valencia. I heard some programs they offer a Bachelor's, but you can always start at Valencia and then attend UCF. Don't worry about the age thing, I saw plenty of older people when I was a student there and theres just so many students there that no one really pays attention. They keep building housing around UCF, but I think the cheapest for housing would be the older dorms on campus.

Thanks for the great info! Local too!

When I was an electrical engineering freshman I might have been 1 of the only maybe 3 students under 26 in my intro to engineering class of about 30.

29 is far from being too old to go back to school or to change careers (i'm 29 myself and i'm about to change my career by going military). Best of luck to you.

You are in Orlando where they have two pretty good CC's (Valencia and Seminole State) and they can funnel you directly into UCF if your plan is to stay in this town. UCF is a good school, not nearly the cost of a private institution and the yambs are top notch. Make sure this is something you are fully committed to before taking the leap and have a goal in mind before you start.

I have taken summer courses at Seminole State and even at 29, there is no way you'll be the oldest person in the classroom. It's never too late to go back to school and in this day and age a degree is pretty important. If you don't have a connect it can be pretty tough to get Interview without one. Best of luck OP.
Just signed up for seminole state this summer bro. You at UCF ?

Back
Top Bottom