going to NYC for a day. what should I see?

like title says, i have the chance to go to NYC for free this weekend (the bus would normally be $80 each way I think).
I've lived in California my whole life so i've never been to new york city.
i have about 6-8 hours, from noon to 7 or 8pm.
I'll be on foot, I'm getting dropped off at Central Park.
What are some things I should try to see, considering I have limited time?
thanks

NBA Store
Nike Store
Sex Museum
Wax Museum
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty speedboat ride
Times Square places like Planet Hollywood
Central Park Zoo

maybe Silvia's or Amy Ruth's in Harlem. I didn't make it out there either time I went though I intended to

I tried to leave out things I did or can think of that had long lines or took more than an hr like the Madison Square Garden Tour, NBA Studio Tour, and the Empire State Building.

Don't go to Times Square. It's the antitheses of New York City. Everyone just standing around looking at nothing.

with that little amount of time I wouldnt really recommend doing any touristy kinda things. Seriously I would just find a good pizza place, grab a slice sit on stoop/stairs/bench somewhere, maybe Union Sq neighborhood, and just chill and people-watch and get a vibe for the city. You cant really see and enjoy anything else for so little time. Just find a spot to hang out

You have no time bro, go do some shopping in soho and have a slice somewhere.

Go see my son Chron in the Bronx on 167 and webster...Tell him to give u a sack of that NY diesel....
ljuop.jpg

a trip to nyc isn't an offical trip to nyc without a visit to the louis pink houses. 

Originally Posted by il prescelto

Originally Posted by lol

see jeremy lin

i went to palo alto high school though
laugh.gif

thanks for the replies, sounds like i def need to find a good pizza spot

paly? i see you
laugh.gif

(i didnt go to paly but i work a block away)

personally, since you only have 6-8 hours I would go down to soho in this order:

Chinatown (canal street) good for knockoffs, at broadway there are a couple sneaker stores...transit and propel footwear...nothing special
Spring street - stussy, nice smoke shops if you do that, thompson park, uniqlo, bloomies, other designer stores
prince street - flight club, adidas store, kid robot, supreme, g-star
houston street/lafayette - pool shop, some sneaker spots, adidas store, jamba juice (white gummy bear)
continue walking down broadway - sneaker stores, new era store down by 8th street
when you get to NYU you have macdougal street (smoke shops if your into that thing), a nice pizza joint at the corner (search it) and washington square park
continue down to union square park which is a great place to people look and get a feel for the city, my fav comic book shop is right there called forbidden planet, movie theatre, strand bookstore

def walk around union square park, if your lucky you find a local artist named Joe Mangrum either doing a sand painting at union square or washington square park. Def something worth seeing.

Go back home with that memory.

im up here now...what nightlife spots are jumping tomorrow? I'm in astoria queens for the week.

Back
Top Bottom