Going to NYC tomorrow, cool places to eat/check out?

Halal - 53rd and 6th
Steakhouse - Peter Luger's
Chinese - Hop Kee
Deli - Katz's (Hyped up, but it's for a reason.)
Dessert/Ice Cream - Serendipity 3 (Hyped up a bit as well, but still great!) and Chinatown Ice Cream Factory

I'm up there once a year and make it a habit to have these places on my itinerary...

get your @+* to soho/west village... macdougal st/3rd st/wash sq park... Also check out st. marks place, awesome restaurants, young people... it's always crackin at night time.
check out union square, chinatown, little italy, herald square, times square (obviously)... central park

even if you do the touristy stuff, you'll still have a blast... tons of locals and tourists are at these places year round.

IMO brooklyn is worth a visit, astoria, jackson heights etc. (make sure you check out the ethnic neighborhoods in NYC, it's unique to this city that there are HUGE ethnic neighborhoods where you can be submerged in a foreign culture... it's pretty amazing and the food is top notch 
pimp.gif

and cosign on

katz deli

53rd and 6th

mamouns

artichoke pizza

also check out "curry hill" in NYC... it's murray hill, but there's a ton of indian restaurants

and if you are on a budget, eat at the halal carts on 3rd avenue/14th street (literally on teh corner) they have platters (chicken and/or lamb) + a drink for $4.

Just a warning btw, halal food anywhere in the city (including mamouns and 53rd and 6th should be consumed with caution... that %+%* will murk your stomach.)

The hot sauce at mamouns and 53rd and 6th is EPIC, some of the spiciest shhh you'll ever consume.

Have fun 
pimp.gif

grin.gif
 at fools telling you to go to the ghetto.
If you don't know anybody there or have been in the hood before why bother.

Anyway Soho, Lower east side, chinatown and midtown in the city are good places to start.

shopping and food and you can holla at all the breezy's you want if you're into that sort of thing.

oh and i forgot to add spots

Ai Ichiban - Candy shop in china town on hester street between mott and elizabeth I think kind of small and up some stairs.

Ethiopian Meskel - Lower East Side (I went there saturday) good food if you like ethiopian and the portions are big so if you going with somebody the more the better.

Originally Posted by NycPosite

ksteezy- Talking about soup you have to hit up my spot Totto Ramen on 52st
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 . My girl took me to get pho. Mind you we went at 11am and there was 30 people waiting to get in. Mind you they open at 12
laugh.gif
. It was worth it
-if you like a cheaper alternative but just as good, go to Naruto Ramen on the Upper East Side 
pimp.gif

-hit up magnolia's bakery and get some banana pudding

Are there any really cheap sushi places around midtown/downtown/soho geared towards students? I know sushi can get out of hand if you order too much, so I'm looking for some extremely cheap places with still good quality food.

Your only gonna have 20 bucks?? You want cheap food hit a Halal Cart up ..4.50 for Lamb rice and salad. Thats not a whole lot of chop for NYC.. I work in midtown and i can easily spend 10 on lunch..%%*+ is OD ridiculous

Originally Posted by sniper

Halal - 53rd and 6th
Chinese - Hop Kee
Dessert/Ice Cream - Serendipity 3 (Hyped up a bit as well, but still great!) and Chinatown Ice Cream Factory

I'm up there once a year and make it a habit to have these places on my itinerary...

Cotdamn, I forgot about Peter Luger's OP.

I don't care if you got to mug someone for the money, but you need to go here before you leave.  Best steak you'll ever taste ever!  Do yourself a favor and order it medium, if not medium - medium well
pimp.gif

damn my lil homie scshift is in my area?

well if anything you can pm me but here's my top spots...also how long are you staying?

Soup and Burger - Diner - broadway around 8th street which is at the beginning of soho leading up to...
Union Square park - I like just coming here to chill and watch life go by...a lot of weirdo's but a decent spot to just chill and women watch/approach
Stussy/Smoke Shops - Spring Street
Broadway - walk this strip for some good shopping
5th ave - Niketown on 47th street, can hit up the southeast point of central park, mac store, leads up to other shopping mega stores if you keep walking the ave....down.
South street seaport
Colombus circle
34th ave - good shopping place

Queens - 71st continental ave, Astoria (Park, and steinway), Jamaica ave if your adventursome, Flushing (chinatown of Queens), Flushing Meadow Park, Sunnyside (Bars, Strip clubs, Food)

For eats throughout nyc:
St. Marks place - ramen, pho, korean
Time Square - olive garden
5th ave - mexican, spanish
south street seaport - Uno's, bars, seafood
71st ave continental - bunch of restaurants, Cabana, thai, steak, mexican
Steinway - hookah, mexican, spanish
Flushing/Main Street - pho, sushi, japanese, korean
Queens blvd - hibachi, Greek, Italian, sushi
Howard Beach/woodhaven - hibachi, fusion restaurants, Italian, seafood

Originally Posted by sniper

Halal - 53rd and 6th
Chinese - Hop Kee

bring cash or a peter luger's credit card

Go to dyckman to pizza hero's its a good lil hood spot for the slice.

Go check my aunt and cousin out on academy lol.

not a NYC native, but when I visit I like to stop in at Crif Dog for some tasty hot dogs.

too bad you dont drink cause the Bloody Mary's at Minetta Tavern are outstanding.

Originally Posted by scshift

^ Forgot to mention I'm not old enough to drink 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Also I'll mainly be midtown so I don't want to travel too far out. I was thinking of just cool places within Manhattan

You're staying in Midtown and can't drink or go to bars... Sorry to break it to you but sounds like a Times Square, Rockefeller type lame trip.

However if you do get a chance, go down by Battery Park where the mall is.  It's really nice to walk around and night or sit at a restaurant and have some food. 

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Originally Posted by scshift

^ Forgot to mention I'm not old enough to drink 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Also I'll mainly be midtown so I don't want to travel too far out. I was thinking of just cool places within Manhattan

You're staying in Midtown and can't drink or go to bars... Sorry to break it to you but sounds like a Times Square, Rockefeller type lame trip.

However if you do get a chance, go down by Battery Park where the mall is.  It's really nice to walk around and night or sit at a restaurant and have some food. 

Nah I've never really liked going to tourist spots anyways. That's why I hit up NT, so I could see places that only the locals knew about/recommended.

I don't really need to spend much/party or go crazy to have fun, I prefer to just walk around and take in the city. I've been to NYC plenty of times just walking around the Central Park area and I never got bored. I can see how some might get tired of it but I can keep myself entertained for hours in a new environment.

Back
Top Bottom