Going to the dealership for the first time, NEED ADVICE.

It's gonna be my first time going and im looking to get a used Acura TL 04-08. Im looking to finance about $20,000. Im gonna put a couple grand downthough. Really looking for grey but would settle for black and maybe even blue.

Any tips on how to deal with these wolves would be appreciated.

A couple cars im looking at...

Acura TL 06 black w/ Navi - Not feeling the interior though.

Acura TL 05 Grey - The interior again..
ohwell.gif

Acura TL 05 Blue - Blue is growing on me.

Good deals?

-start your offer low and work your way up.

-go to multiple dealerships to get an idea what others have to offer.

-dont let up...you know what you want and want to spend, dont let them talk you out of it.

oh yeah...its been said if you drive off paying the sticker price out the door after taxes etc....you got a good deal.

Don't let them talk you down. If they don't give you a all around good deal, don't be afraid to walk away. They need you more than you need them.Make sure you negotiate the price down if you can. Try to get some dealer incentives and a nice warranty. Sorry for the cluster thoughts
laugh.gif

BTW how is your credit?

Originally Posted by s dubl

oh yeah...its been said if you drive off paying the sticker price out the door after taxes etc....you got a good deal.

Really? You aren't thinking like Hank Hill are you?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by s dubl

Really? You aren't thinking like Hank Hill are you?
laugh.gif
hankd.png

try to remember that they are more desperate for your money, than you are for the car. there are multiple places you can get the car so dont rush it, do yourhw.
btw You should be in control, not them. set your price and dont give in, they will call you back in the future. dont fall for the bs, like oh we got 3customers waiting to buy this car so you gotta hurry up.

Find a car or a couple cars and test drive what you want. When you get back on the lot, tell them write down the sticker price and write down all theincentive discounts and what ever else discount you can give me. If you don't like the price walk away. They will call you back if you aren't beingstupid about the exact price you want.
pimp.gif

OP there is a real good website if I can recall, insidercarsecrets.com, real legit info on how to help you with this process.

Being someone who is in the business, I recommend the following. Do a search via Cars.com/Autotrader/Ebay for vehicles that meet your criteria locally,determine the differences between the vehicles being sold, options, mileage, desirable color combinations. I dont know if Acura offers Certified Pre-OwnedProgram but if they do the only way to benefit from that is to purchase from a franchise Acura dealership. Once you identify a vehicle that you think mightwork for you, do some research on the dealership itself. How long has it been in business? Is it family owned or corporate, what does the reviews say ondealerrater.com say about the dealership? If everything looks good, then take a trip down to the store. If the car is as described, carfax is clean (orautocheck, some dealers vary in reports but they all do the same thing basically.. which isnt much but its good to have) ask them what is the best they can doon the vehicle. Keep in mind, you already researched the market and you should know if its a good deal already but asking for something off doesnt hurt. Thereare 2 ways most dealers work. Some mark the vehicle up thousands of dollars and hope to get someone who is uneducated and they hit a home run or they willnegotiate a few thousand dollars off and give the buyer the perception that they are getting a good deal when in reality they only paid fair market value. Theother strategy is to price the vehicle at market value or slightly below and let the internet draw in the educated buyers who realize a good deal on a vehicleand will purchase it with marginal discounted or none at all depending on how its priced. That being said, remember you are buying more than the car. You arebuying the dealership, the sales rep, along with the vehicle. Make sure the dealerships core values are the same as yours. If you buy just price, chances areprice is all you will get and any issues in the future you could possibly have with the vehicle will fall upon def ears. Dealer reputation is the mostimportant factor.

Definitely shop around. When we bought our Prius, they were asking $23,600 sticker. I asked about fleet pricing at a dealership, and found out we could get itfor $22,700. Another dealership said they could beat that price. When we were sitting at ANOTHER dealership to finally buy the car, they told us that theywanted $23,600 for it, and all we told them was that we can get the same exact car for $22,500 at a different dealership, and we would leave right now if theydidn't match the price. They matched it.

Back
Top Bottom