Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumpers

Originally Posted by rpjgator

i read more on wiki about it here is what wiki said bout a safeguard:
"Strong appeals for a suicide barrier, fence, or other preventive measures were raised once again by a well-organized vocal minority of psychiatry professionals, suicide barrier consultants, and families of jumpers after the release of the controversial 2006 documentary film The Bridge, in which filmmaker Eric Steel and his production crew spent one year (2004) filming the bridge from several vantage points, capturing a number of suicide jumps, most notably that of Gene Sprague as well as a handful of thwarted attempts. The film also contained interviews with surviving family members of those who jumped; interviews with witnesses; and, in one segment, an interview with Kevin Hines who, as a 19-year-old in 2000, survived a suicide plunge from the span and is now a vocal advocate for some type of bridge barrier or net to prevent such incidents from occurring.
On October 10, 2008, the Golden Gate Bridge Board of Directors voted 14 to 1 to install a plastic-covered stainless-steel net below the bridge as a suicide deterrent. The net will extend 20 feet (6 m) on either side of the bridge and is expected to cost $40–50 million to complete.[sup][54][/sup][sup][55][/sup] However, lack of funding could delay the net's construction.[sup][56]"[/sup]

[sup]
[/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge#Suicides[/sup]

[sup]
[/sup]

[sup]
[/sup]

SMFH 
grin.gif

40-50 million??????/ forget that.....would rather put the money in other places....them fools shouldn't cost the city that much

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

40-50 million??????/ forget that.....would rather put the money in other places....them fools shouldn't cost the city that much

my point exactly 

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

What I don't understand is this....

The director filmed these people committing suicide? How can you just stand by and witness that? Isn't there a Good Samaritan law? Either way that's just disgusting and sick, the man deserves to be put in jail.

indifferent.gif

its not his problem them people want to kill themselves.

so sad. I wonder why people dont try to stop them. But whats really crazy is how the Film maker could just sit by and Film suicide after suicide. like dude must have no emotions after that...
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by ccookielover49

so sad. I wonder why people dont try to stop them. But whats really crazy is how the Film maker could just sit by and Film suicide after suicide. like dude must have no emotions after that...
smh.gif
smh.gif

why is he going to try to help a person that does not want to help themselves?

smh.gif
smh.gif

did anyone see how far the guy was from where they jumped? who says he didnt call someone and just keep a camera on them? why is it his job to see someone climb over the rail and go get them that would take forever for him to get there.....
im sure for his documentary he would have loved to interview someone who was about to jump whom he saved......

who says he didnt try to help?

smh.gif
smh.gif

did anyone see how far the guy was from where they jumped? who says he didnt call someone and just keep a camera on them? why is it his job to see someone climb over the rail and go get them that would take forever for him to get there.....
im sure for his documentary he would have loved to interview someone who was about to jump whom he saved......

I didn't watch the movie, but I read there is a scene where he films someone PACING FOR 90 MINUTES BEFORE JUMPING. That's INHUMANE. SERIOUSLY? If I was there I would tackle that person and keep them from jumping. I don't care what they do but If I'M THERE I AM NOT LETTING SOMEONE COMMIT SUICIDE IN MY PRESENCE. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, how does the director?

Surely putting the barrier up will just mean a majority of the people will go elsewhere to commit suicide? A barrier that physically stops them will hardly make them change their state of mind.

honestly watching this didnt make me sad....people who want to die deserve to die....and jumping off a bridge is safe and doesn't harm other people.....thats their own selfishness ....

Why would the city spend 50 -60 million dollars to accommodate these idiots who care for no one but themselves?

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

smh.gif
smh.gif

I didn't watch the movie, but I read there is a scene where he films someone PACING FOR 90 MINUTES BEFORE JUMPING. That's INHUMANE. SERIOUSLY? If I was there I would tackle that person and keep them from jumping. I don't care what they do but If I'M THERE I AM NOT LETTING SOMEONE COMMIT SUICIDE IN MY PRESENCE. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, how does the director?
personally i agree 100% with u but if u look at wiki they have golden gate bridge police patrol these guys apparently police nothing but the bridge......WHERE WERE THEY?

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Surely putting the barrier up will just mean a majority of the people will go elsewhere to commit suicide? A barrier that physically stops them will hardly make them change their state of mind.
Yeah, but I think that suicide is often times an impulsive decision. If the barrier was there, it might give them a few extra minutes to realize that suicide doesn't just effect them.

And
indifferent.gif
to this dude GTEK. Once again rambling about some dumb ##**.

water is the equivalent of concrete on impact from that high, imagine a belly flop/back flop times 10,000
smh.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Yeah, but I think that suicide is often times an impulsive decision. If the barrier was there, it might give them a few extra minutes to realize that suicide doesn't just effect them.

And
indifferent.gif
I don't get it...
What am I saying here that is so "dumb"?
Im starting to think this cat just loves typing my name.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GTEK

And
indifferent.gif
I don't get it...
laugh.gif
Im just being real fam.

Who knows what is the cause for these people wanting to end their lives.
Maybe that old dude hung somebody back in '42 and it was eating him alive everyday...
maybe the cat in the black trench coat molested and raped a couple of children...
you don't know the predicament that these people minds are in for them to be
that close to a forceful death, that was my reasoning for that statement.
Like I said before I would rather not waste my energy in mourning or feeling sorry
for people who decide to such things.
I'm here to help those who are dying to live, not dying to die.
All a person can do to another is help bring them to attention and essentially consciousness.
One cannot occupy another's time and space...neither can they save someone from themselves.
And those who try to do such are wasting much useful energy that can be directed
towards more possible tasks.

So you just wanna make up a %!%+$!* story about someone's life that you have no idea about. Straight idiocy. You don't know this dude's life, so why even make up some horrible stuff like, "Maybe that old dude hung somebody back in '42 and it was eating him alive everyday..." That's just awful. And you just assume that all these people want to die? Maybe if they had some help, they would realize that there are other ways to deal with their issues. You pretend to be open-minded, but you are as close-minded as they come.

P.S. You should remove that image you have as your sig. It's not allowed on this board and it makes it hard as hell to quote you.
wink.gif

some details about the actual results of what happens in a suicide jump

November 02, 2005|By John Koopman, Chronicle Staff Writer
It'scold at Fort Baker. The water is frigid and the breeze chilly. It'squiet, except for the lapping of waves along the muddy shoreline.

Everytime a person jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge, his or her brokencorpse is brought to Fort Baker by solemn sailors of the U.S. CoastGuard. There, the dead are met by an investigator from the Marin Countycoroner's office, which is responsible for tying up the loose ends ofthe jumper's life. Identification, notification, autopsy and deathnotice.

The Coast Guard dock at Fort Baker berths two 47-foot motorlifeboats. When someone jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge, one of thoseboats races to the scene with sailors who retrieve the jumper andperform lifesaving measures. The bodies of the jumpers are brought toshore in a long, shallow container, almost like a long yellow tray withhandles. The bodies are covered by a yellow tarp, with any belongingson top or alongside. The container is set on the dock until thecoroner's investigator arrives.

Suicide by bridge is gruesome,and death is almost certain. People have survived the fall, but notmany. You might survive if you hit the water feet first and come in ata slight angle.

The impact is tremendous. The body goes fromroughly 75 to 80 mph to nearly zero in a nanosecond. The physics ofinertia being what they are, internal organs tend to keep going. Theforce of impact causes them to tear loose. Autopsy reports typicallyindicate that the jumpers have lacerated aortas, livers, spleens andhearts. Ribs are often broken, and the impact shoves them into theheart or lungs. Jumpers have broken sternums, clavicles, pelvises andnecks. Skull fractures are common.

Which means you die one oftwo ways, or a combination of both. One, you hit the water and theimpact kills you. Sometimes the jumper is knocked unconscious. Othertimes, the jumper survives for a time. The person can be seen flailingabout in the water, trying to stay afloat, only to succumb to theextensive internal bleeding. Death can take seconds or minutes. Two,you drown. You hit the water going fast, and your body plunges in deep.Conscious or otherwise, you breathe in saltwater and asphyxiate.

You can usually tell which bridge jumpers drowned: Frothy mucus bubbles from the nose.

eek.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif

I wish I could have talked them out of it. Life is supposed to have its downs You can't just give up, there will always be a beam of light for every cloud of darkness.

I don't get it...
laugh.gif
Im just being real fam.

Who knows what is the cause for these people wanting to end their lives.
Maybe that old dude hung somebody back in '42 and it was eating him alive everyday...
maybe the cat in the black trench coat molested and raped a couple of children...
you don't know the predicament that these people minds are in for them to be
that close to a forceful death, that was my reasoning for that statement.
Like I said before I would rather not waste my energy in mourning or feeling sorry
for people who decide to such things.
I'm here to help those who are dying to live, not dying to die.
All a person can do to another is help bring them to attention and essentially consciousness.
One cannot occupy another's time and space...neither can they save someone from themselves.
And those who try to do such are wasting much useful energy that can be directed
towards more possible tasks.

So you just wanna make up a %!%+$!* story about someone's life that you have no idea about. Straight idiocy. You don't know this dude's life, so why even make up some horrible stuff like, "Maybe that old dude hung somebody back in '42 and it was eating him alive everyday..." That's just awful. And you just assume that all these people want to die? Maybe if they had some help, they would realize that there are other ways to deal with their issues. You pretend to be open-minded, but you are as close-minded as they come.

P.S. You should remove that image you have as your sig. It's not allowed on this board and it makes it hard as hell to quote you.
wink.gif

As I stated before I simply used those analogy's as examples to explain to Mr.Kuter
what I meant when referring to this statement....

I wouldn't waste any energy to mourn for these people though...
Who knows what actions they committed, being so they can't sleep at night.
I mean I just explained this a page ago son.
But you so hyped up to take a shot at my "e-persona"

And as for the dry snitching....

quit it with the child like tactics.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
Do you even know what an analogy is? Not what you attempted. What you made up is called a "fabrication" or a "defamation" to be more specific. And I don't care about your "e-persona." It just happens to be you saying dumb %%+$ over and over and over again. I call it like I see it.

Back
Top Bottom