Good tablet for kids

Anyone recommend a good ereader/tablet for kids? I wanna get my little girl something like the iPad for Christmas, but I don't think she's quite ready to care for a $500 tablet. She's 9-years-old by the way. I was thinking of the Kindle Fire. Any suggestions/input?
nerd.gif

Ipad is perfect for the games that are available on there

You need to teach them responsibility, I got no problem leaving my macbook pro, iphone or ipad with my child.

Yea I feel y'all...being a Social Worker and planning a wedding (that we'll have to pay for completely) definitely factors into my decision about how many 100's of $$$$ we can shell out. She always takes care of her things and I want something she can watch shows on and do homework on too.That Kindle Fire not a good look?

^
Look at the new Nook tablet as well.  I'm thinking about buying a new tablet and the Kindle Fire and Nook have caught my attention.  Look on cnet for reviews and which one would be best for her.

I recently bought my Kindle Fire and I really enjoy it. For the price, it's definitely worth the money. Now, the app store for the Fire is limited at the moment. But if you root your device (similar to jailbreaking an iPhone), you can access the Android market with all the apps.

The Nook Tablet is also a nice tablet as well. I ended up getting a Kindle Fire due to the price, size, and video content through Amazon Prime. But after adding the Android Market, it's even better when I first opened the box.

The reviews on CNET helps along with some of the thorough comments from people who have bought the Kindle Fire through Amazon. Many people break down the pros, cons, etc.

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

A 9 year old need a tablet?

Who said anything about "need" fam? It's Christmas, I work hard and want to get my daughter something she will like and enjoy. Rhetorical questions have no place in the discussions of men.

Don't waste your money on a tablet for a kid if they mainly want to play games.

Get them something made for games, which will also be more durable because they know kids will use them. Those handheld Nintendos, PSP, etc. If you really want to give them a touch screen gadget, just go with an ipod touch, it does most of what the ipad can do anyways.

A lot of my relatives got their toddlers ipads and tablets, and they only play games on them... kind of overpaying for something like that.

Originally Posted by megatron

Just a suggestions used ipad 1? if not the Nook is nice.

Yea, I was thinking used iPad 1; she uses my Mac Book Pro sometimes and likes playing games on my phone, so we're somewhat a Mac family. Nook caught my eye once, but unsure how it was holding up after being used and what people thought. Been reading up here and there on it, but do need to check that CNet article. She's big into reading, drawing, and music. Not a big gamer really if it's not the Wii or Angry Birds. She really likes reading, so I definitely want to encourage that.

I have a tablet, though looking through the android market, there's some pretty wild apps out there that are free, I wasn't even aware of this until a friend told me. My friend has a Kindle Fire, so they are on the amazon marketplace as well.

I'd recommend the Kindle Fire is good and easy to use, I think the new Nook tablet is better, though for a kid, they probably can't make use of the features that make it better.

im in the same situation Im leaning toward the kindle fire for my little brother it does everything he might use it for.

My TWO YEAR OLD nephew recently just got the 8 inch vizio tablet from costco. He actually takes care of it he knows how to get to youtube to watch his cartoons and actually doesn't throw it around.

Can the kindle fire take notes?
Lets say im in class and just want to take notes or DL powerpoints?

Gotta go with Ipad. Its the most universal one and they'll probably be handling idevices the most giving them more opportunities to get familiar with it. Dropping that much bread on a 9 year old though? Cant advise that

laugh.gif
I was thinkin about gettin my daughter an iPad myself. She takes care of my Tab and takes care of her aunt's iPad2 when she comes over so it's not a big deal, I just don't have that type of money to kick out right now. Maybe for her bday if we don't go to New York. She enjoys the alphabet games and watchin her movies.

whyhellothere wrote:

lulz @ getting someone you care about anything other than an iPad. 

what a sheep...the asus transformer prime takes large dumps on the ipad2 and is much cheaper

but if its just for games you could get her a wii and a good amount of games for that price

or xbox kinnect

the ONLY thing my 5 year old son wants for christmas is an ipad. These kids are crazy. I should have never let him play angry birds, I got nobody to blame but myself
laugh.gif

My 8 year old daughter is very responsible with her iPad. My 1 year old knows not to handle the iPad too roughly, the only situation I've had is she's touched the screen with dirty fingers a few times. It wasn't too hard to clean though. If an iPad is in your budget, do it. You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom