gov't will soon have rights to search your computer for pirated material :EEK :EEK

Originally Posted by gboy1230

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

It doesn't even sound like it's close to being in full swing yet, so why be so nervous? And if anything..the main people that will probably get nailed for this will be the ones that supply the files.

And plus if they're gonna try and do that, it's not like they're gonna toss everybody in jail...millions and millions of people download stuff through torrent, p2p, etc daily..24/7. It would be damn near impossible to nail everyone.

it doesn't seem to far in but the fact it's all hush hush it's a bit
eek.gif
.... And ya I doubt tem putting everyone in jails more realitic would be sole fines but I figure it's Better to let everyone be aware of what's going on rather than being in the dark and them one day having "big bro" knocking on there door asking for there HD
cosign. no way are they gonna imprison tens of millions of people. they might fine a bunch, but if the majority of people oppose it, all thats gonna happen is some dude will run for office on that platform and everybody that was on their way to jail will just vote for that dude

Originally Posted by gboy1230

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

It doesn't even sound like it's close to being in full swing yet, so why be so nervous? And if anything..the main people that will probably get nailed for this will be the ones that supply the files.

And plus if they're gonna try and do that, it's not like they're gonna toss everybody in jail...millions and millions of people download stuff through torrent, p2p, etc daily..24/7. It would be damn near impossible to nail everyone.

it doesn't seem to far in but the fact it's all hush hush it's a bit
eek.gif
.... And ya I doubt tem putting everyone in jails more realitic would be sole fines but I figure it's Better to let everyone be aware of what's going on rather than being in the dark and them one day having "big bro" knocking on there door asking for there HD
cosign. no way are they gonna imprison tens of millions of people. they might fine a bunch, but if the majority of people oppose it, all thats gonna happen is some dude will run for office on that platform and everybody that was on their way to jail will just vote for that dude

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

Originally Posted by popcornplaya

privates are cool.

but gov't could theoretically get access to ISP records. They keep track of how much you download/upload. Lose/lose. I had to stop with torrents. My ISP straight up called me a year ago and was like "Yeah, you're gonna have to stop."

Me: "Stop what?"
Comcast: *stoneface through the phone.*

The guy literally paused and went on explaining how I was uploading too much.

I know my name is in a few gov't databases.
nerd.gif

TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS A LITTLE HELP:

http://download.cnet.com/...n/3000-2144_4-50137.html (mac)
http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ (windows)

first time I ran that with known gov't machines blocked my face was like:

Does this slow down DL speeds at all?

rather go raw then suffer slow speeds
Before I decided to stop downloading DVD-rips, I also ran with PeerGuardian 2. Never got caught, because Imma g.
smokin.gif

It doesn't slow down DL speeds. When you are using P2P, your IP is getting shared with millions of other IP's. What PG2 does is block the ones that are known to be government/ISP addresses from connecting to your computer and therefore marking your IP as either sharing or downloading copyrighted info.

Download speeds are based off of your ISP. If your ISP is pretty good (Mine was like 50mb/s) then you will have good connection with the seeder (Person who uploads it).

It is scary to see all the names of big companies come up, ex. Comcast, TimeWarner, etc. That's the main reason why I stopped a long time ago because I didn't want to risk getting slapped with a $10,000 fine.

privates are cool.

but gov't could theoretically get access to ISP records. They keep track of how much you download/upload. Lose/lose. I had to stop with torrents. My ISP straight up called me a year ago and was like "Yeah, you're gonna have to stop."

nerd.gif

Before I decided to stop downloading DVD-rips, I also ran with PeerGuardian 2. Never got caught, because Imma g.
smokin.gif

It doesn't slow down DL speeds. When you are using P2P, your IP is getting shared with millions of other IP's. What PG2 does is block the ones that are known to be government/ISP addresses from connecting to your computer and therefore marking your IP as either sharing or downloading copyrighted info.

Download speeds are based off of your ISP. If your ISP is pretty good (Mine was like 50mb/s) then you will have good connection with the seeder (Person who uploads it).

It is scary to see all the names of big companies come up, ex. Comcast, TimeWarner, etc. That's the main reason why I stopped a long time ago because I didn't want to risk getting slapped with a $10,000 fine.

Originally Posted by TurboMan

privates are cool.

nerd.gif

smokin.gif

Good info

I just got a new ISP (TimeWarner) which is KNOW to be little $%#%#%$ about the bandwidth usage.

Originally Posted by TurboMan

privates are cool.

nerd.gif

smokin.gif

Good info

I just got a new ISP (TimeWarner) which is KNOW to be little $%#%#%$ about the bandwidth usage.

Originally Posted by Anthony Stark

If downloading isn't illegal, why did my cable service provider send me a letter threatening to shut down my internet because they thought I was DL'ing movies?
It's very illegal, dude. It's just highly unlikely that you'll get caught.

Originally Posted by Anthony Stark

If downloading isn't illegal, why did my cable service provider send me a letter threatening to shut down my internet because they thought I was DL'ing movies?
It's very illegal, dude. It's just highly unlikely that you'll get caught.

A few questions, though...
1. What if I just keep my stuff on an external HD?

2. There's no way they could track me down if my computer stayed offline, right?

Last fall my cable provider called me and warned me that they were sent a cease and desist from Universal or someone like that... I checked and found out I had been accidentally seeding Transformers 2 for a few weeks after I DL'd it 
frown.gif

I told dude on the phone that they could have the movie back because it sucked. He laughed... still though that taught me a lesson, I don't download movies anymore that are new releases... those are the ones that people are hawking for the most because they want to nip leaks in the bud.

Originally Posted by peep tha sneaKs

DLs from Datpiff,2dopeboyz, etc are okay right?

I'm assuming Dat Piff is fine since they're mixtapes that are given out for free by the artist

2. There's no way they could track me down if my computer stayed offline, right?

Last fall my cable provider called me and warned me that they were sent a cease and desist from Universal or someone like that... I checked and found out I had been accidentally seeding Transformers 2 for a few weeks after I DL'd it 
frown.gif

I told dude on the phone that they could have the movie back because it sucked. He laughed... still though that taught me a lesson, I don't download movies anymore that are new releases... those are the ones that people are hawking for the most because they want to nip leaks in the bud.

Originally Posted by peep tha sneaKs

DLs from Datpiff,2dopeboyz, etc are okay right?

I'm assuming Dat Piff is fine since they're mixtapes that are given out for free by the artist

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

1. They track the data that is sent and received by you, so even if you kept it on an external HD, they'd still know that you were downloading/uploading stuff. However, if they were to actually search your computer and not find the external (they'd probably have a search warrant and find it, but let's say that you hid it well) they'd probably still try to slap you with distribution if you were uploading.

2. If you were, for example, going somewhere else, downloading things to an external HD, and then taking it back to your offline computer, you'd be fine. But if you were using the internet just to download stuff and then instantly going offline, you could still be caught.

I'm sure you're fine, though.

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

1. They track the data that is sent and received by you, so even if you kept it on an external HD, they'd still know that you were downloading/uploading stuff. However, if they were to actually search your computer and not find the external (they'd probably have a search warrant and find it, but let's say that you hid it well) they'd probably still try to slap you with distribution if you were uploading.

2. If you were, for example, going somewhere else, downloading things to an external HD, and then taking it back to your offline computer, you'd be fine. But if you were using the internet just to download stuff and then instantly going offline, you could still be caught.

I'm sure you're fine, though.

f this, first thing imma say is, I dont have that computer anymore I sold it to some dude I met.gonna start hiding my laptop under the floor board when not in use...

f this, first thing imma say is, I dont have that computer anymore I sold it to some dude I met.gonna start hiding my laptop under the floor board when not in use...

Back
Top Bottom