GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

Start classes on the 20th...working towards my MLIS degree so that I can become a Librarian. 

Looking forward to it...I will be at UNCG.

Spartans...
pimp.gif

Sup NT,
I'm in a bit of a situation and I need a bit of insight.
Currently I am going into my senior year at SJSU for psych. My community college was crap, but my year at SJSU i've managed at least a 3.5, so now my cumulative GPA is around a 3.0 maybe 3.1. I am scheduled to take the GRE's the end of sept but I honestly don't think I am ready for it. So now if I wait to push back my GRE's I wont make it in time to apply for grad school for the fall semester of grad school.
My question is, would it hurt to just take the GRE's once and see what I score. Apply to schools and hope that I am able to get into one hopefully. Then if not, taking them again in a year.
or
Wait it out another year and take the GREs when I am ready, hoping that my score will be higher to make up for my GPA, that way I could possibly do some volunteering and things of that nature. The downfall of this is that I have loans that I wouldn't get differed since I wouldn't be going to school. Also, I am scared of taking a year off of school and becoming lazy.
Also, I do have the option of applying to schools such as Alliant or Agrosy which are private schools that offer psych grad programs that do not require the GRE and I could possibly start off there right after I am done with my undergrad.
Thoughts?
don't take this to the bank, but I think I'm right.. I took the GMAT though

Some schools take the average of the scores, but when I wax applying for schools, NO ONE took averages... they just took the highest score you made... I have yet to come across a school that takes your average scores from all the tests you've taken, but they say they're out there.

As far as school, isn't it kinda late to be applying for the fall 12 semester? If its not, then take them tests, famb. My situation was similar. I took my gmat at the end of may, and the school deadline was June 15... the official scores weren't going to be in till afterwards. I just took them the unofficial scores, along with the paper that said the official scores were on the way.

It can't hurt to try...

As far as GPA, mine was worse than yours, famb... I did so so on the gmat, but have a good resume, great application essay, and some great recommendations from professors and a social worker. Also, I knew how to talk to the people when I went in for interviews, if you have them.

Taking a year off can help or hurt, but if you already think you can get into school, then do it. My professor told me to get as much as I can out of the way as fast as I can b/c life throws curve balls and you don't know where you'll be next year.

You might run in some yambs, pop a baby, and have to delay it... if you can get in,your loans will stay deferred too? I say go for it now, brudda.

Like wj4 says... once the real world comes, its here... no turning back.

Also, you might do better than expected ... for schools the average score on the entrance exama does not mean. You HAVE to get that score... it means that the AVERAGE ... you can score a little bit lower and still get in...

Also, to defer the loans if you don't, just take one course of something you made a C in and pay outta pocket for it...

I'm actually hearing that they might just take the top score if you take it more than once. When are the deadlines for your grad programs your trying to get in? Sometimes once you apply to schools and don't have the proper gre score you can call them and ask them if they can receive the gre score at a later date. Atleast in my grad program they don't start reviewing applications until early next year.

I would tell you to take it. Get a study book, maybe just a quick study one from barrons or something and do as much as you can. I took the old test from 2 years ago so idk how this new one is. I took a year off myself and it does give you time to prepare for grad school....especially if you feel burned out from undergrad....but you may be very complacent to get back into the swing of grad school especially if you get a job and are making decent money.

Start classes on the 20th...working towards my MLIS degree so that I can become a Librarian. 

Looking forward to it...I will be at UNCG.

Spartans...:pimp:

[COLOR=#red]My child's mother has a MLS and is ALA certified. There were some pretty brutal courses believe it or not. People dish on librarians, but she got a job offer from the CIA, which she ultimately turned down because she didn't want to work in that field. There are so many options with an MLS degree...medical, institutional, academic, government agencies, etc. Good luck.[/COLOR]

Dental School, currently in my 3yr out of 4.

**** is torture, lol, but manageable. Graduating with 200K in loans though :x

Dental School, currently in my 3yr out of 4.
**** is torture, lol, but manageable. Graduating with 200K in loans though
sick.gif
Where are you going to dental school, if you don't mind me asking?

My girl just started and her loans are already racking up, doesn't help that it's a private school.

Just starting Med School at South Florida for me. Go Bulls.

Where are you going to dental school, if you don't mind me asking?

My girl just started and her loans are already racking up, doesn't help that it's a private school.

Just starting Med School at South Florida for me. Go Bulls.

I go to a Texas school. Our school, along with the other 2 in Texas, are basically the cheapest in the nation if you are a resident. 200K sounds bad, but I have friends in Boston, California, etc. that will graduate dental school with over 500K in tuition. It's not cheap, and that's why I only applied in state since I didn't think I could afford the out of state schools.

Best of luck, brah!

finishing up my B.A. in business administration and looking to apply to the MAcc program at USC. currently studying GMAT and hoping to get 700+...my GPA is solid so we'll see.

A few bits of advice as I complete my Master of Arts in Political Science:

• Be prepared to work. Chances are if you have been accepted to a graduate program, you are a fairly competent student. If you are like me, this does not necessarily mean you also have strong work habits. Plan your time well, and get things done. Otherwise, you'll spend the last two weeks of August scrambling to finish writing a 100-plus page paper. [gulp]
  • Consider your options. Given the financial, temporal, and mental investment associated with graduate school, you should really think about how the discipline you are going to study will affect your future plans-- be they academic, professional or personal. I probably rushed into my MA, and now, I'll graduate with a degree in something I'm not sure I really wanted in the first place. Was it a waste of time? No, I expanded my knowledge base, but I don't know that my studies have improved the probability that I gain employment in the fields I am most interested in.
  • Get to know your colleagues. Inevitably, you will all be swarmed with work come midterm, and it helps if you are able to collaborate with your peers-- on and off campus. You never know, you may also become close friends with some of them, or at the very least, you've built a network of contacts that you can leverage for future opportunities.

Last edited:
My child's mother has a MLS and is ALA certified. There were some pretty brutal courses believe it or not. People dish on librarians, but she got a job offer from the CIA, which she ultimately turned down because she didn't want to work in that field. There are so many options with an MLS degree...medical, institutional, academic, government agencies, etc. Good luck.
Appreciate it...
pimp.gif

Finished a 6 week class.. Start one week from Monday

Secondary Education - Social Studies at SUNY Albany..

I am mentally drained of school... But it's either this or work some BS I'd hate for the rest of my life.. Teaching is the only thing I can see myself doing and being happy about.

I'm not psyched, don't care for, and not looking forward to doing this. But it is for the career I want.

From what I've been told by the head of the department.. It's a lot of reading and writing.. Writing is nothing, I've mastered 15 page papers in 24 hours while doing whatever I want in between.. Written 40 page independent study papers, and 50 page business papers, so whatever is thrown at me will not be too concerning.. Never read in undergrad, but each class gives about 50 pages of reading a week (while I'm not looking forward to it at all), it will get done

Last edited:
just got my notice yesterday that I got accepted. Starting at savannah college of art and design september 10th. Film and television production MA. got my undergrad from Saint Louis University BA in marketing.

found 3 houses with 4 bedrooms prices are 1300,1500, and 1800. gonna split with 3 other guys.
good thing i bought a fixed gear this year, won't be doing too much driving being under 10 mins away from the school.
starting the packing and sorting battle on monday.

for now i'm celebrating.

still trying to get some rinky dink scholarships to add up. more loans for the kid.

I got sallie mae down to around 10k which isn't too bad. I only have about 20k in loans left over from undergrad.

feels good going back to school. i was assistant managering a walmart, it was the pits.

Last edited:
Starting year 4 of an MD/PhD combined program. It has been tough, bros. But I've accomplished so much more than I thought I could. Everything is paid for, and I even get a stipend. I haven't had any debt until this point, and am managing to save a good amount of my check each month. Good luck to everyone pursuing graduate degrees. We got this. If any of you are interested or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Starting year 4 of an MD/PhD combined program. It has been tough, bros. But I've accomplished so much more than I thought I could. Everything is paid for, and I even get a stipend. I haven't had any debt until this point, and am managing to save a good amount of my check each month. Good luck to everyone pursuing graduate degrees. We got this. If any of you are interested or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

:smokin repped. keep grinding homie. MD's and PhD's are hard enough separate.

You know what residency you want to do?

(Radiology in the house)

I'm actually hearing that they might just take the top score if you take it more than once. When are the deadlines for your grad programs your trying to get in? Sometimes once you apply to schools and don't have the proper gre score you can call them and ask them if they can receive the gre score at a later date. Atleast in my grad program they don't start reviewing applications until early next year.
I would tell you to take it. Get a study book, maybe just a quick study one from barrons or something and do as much as you can. I took the old test from 2 years ago so idk how this new one is. I took a year off myself and it does give you time to prepare for grad school....especially if you feel burned out from undergrad....but you may be very complacent to get back into the swing of grad school especially if you get a job and are making decent money.

Well deadlines for the 2013 Fall semesters are in Feb of 2013. I have a study book, but this summer has been nuts with traveling and things of that nature.

(Radiology in the house)

Nother sure yet, bro. I'm in the PhD portion now, doing breast cancer research. I'm thinking Heme/Onc but that could completely change once i get back on the wards. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
I graduate in Dec. with my masters in occupational therapy. I'm drinking right now, but when I sober up, I'll come back try to offer some insight.

Coming from someone who has a masters degree, keep in mind that it doesnt mean youre "done". You have to continue to learn and read even after you graduate.

Jesus,
I got about $20k left how do you manage paying it off?
P.S.
Forgot to thank you for your restaurant suggestion last week. My ex-gf and I absolutely LOVED Filomena. But after the large portions, whole bottle of wine and sambuca they gave us after dinner (since it was our first time there), we didn't make it out to the bars that night :lol:

dont know about anywhere else, but here in the Texas, $20k aint that hard to pay off if you do it to it...

think about it... come out of school, making 65K, right? not too bad... around average...

after taxes, you're taking home about 48K... 4K a month...

now, being a single man, living in a modest apartment, with a modest car not, you can pay it off...

apartment - 800
car - 500
utilities 200
food - 500
yambs - 300...

TOTAL - 2800...

that's 2.8k a month, being generous on all of those things...

after all that, you STILL got 1.2 k left over for the month... you can knock out 20K in a couple years, famb...

:pimp: :pimp:

(Radiology in the house)

Nother sure yet, bro. I'm in the PhD portion now, doing breast cancer research. I'm thinking Heme/Onc but that could completely change once i get back on the wards. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and enjoy the ride.

Yeah that's the right attitude. it took me a while to settle on Rads.

I find Onc pretty interesting. Leaning towards IR with a interventional onc focus right now but we'll see. IR may be too much work :lol:

[COLOR=#red]I know for my M.S. we MUST have a Thesis plan accepted and you MUST have a professor take you on before you can even be admitted into the program. So next week I have to convince one of the many professors in my program to take me on. This means I have to read through their CV and read the key points in their careers and schmooze :x[/COLOR]

I'm.trying to network all day cuz I hear it's the way you get on

Went to the gym this morning... dudes was jumping fly on.a guy that was there...

I calm the dudes down... we hoop then.go.on.the side line and.chill and chop it up.

After a few.minutes, old dude tells.me he is a financial consultant in downtown Dallas ...

Told me to.give him a call next week.so we can chop it up on career endeavours... Maynard eem connect me with some people he knows cuz there are jobs out there for people in my situation ...

If I could get into a nice job during my first year of grad school...

Comfy enough wage wise.where I could leave ATT and work regular people hours?

*clay Davis* shiiiiieeeeedddd..

:pimp: :pimp:

Starting my MOT program at the end of the month. Pretty excited and scared. Physiology and Anatomy classes are going to be a challenge.

Just graduated with a BS in Finance :smokin
Finishing of my first internship.
Trying to work in a investment bank in the future.
Trying to get into grad school cause no one is even considering hiring me.
What are the job experience requirements for a regular MBA program in California ?
don't know about specifically California, but many schools MBA programs are 3-5 years work exp ... this can vary if you have stellar grades or test scores.

Masters in science programs differ in that aspect because they really don't look at work exp to get in...

For great students from great schools, they have some 2x2 programs... where you work for two years right out of undergraduate, then go back for your masters... this is like getting a athletic scholly to Kentucky or Duke, though... very prestigious.

How much is your InternshipProgram paying? I'm looking for one for the spring and summer, only if they're paying some paper...

Internship s paying around 15$ an hr

Is Santa Clara University a college to gt an MBA ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom