GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

I think the future of the MBA is going to be online, but the power of a top school full-time still won't diminish in my opinion (obviously I'm coming with a slightly biased view as I'm intending to go FT). But it's the experiences, connections, etc. that make the full-time experience better.
I'd probably go with a part-time MBA program over an online program. There are some great schools that have one (UNC and Carnegie Mellon) but my feeling is it's still better go to part-time over online, full-time over part-time, if you're in a position where you can do so.

There's also tons of MOOCs out there now where you can take some classes with professors from top MBA programs such as Wharton.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about online MBA programs, but from what I hear, most employers frown upon online degrees.

I could be wrong. I would personally go for the on-campus degree, though, if I had a choice.

Edit: just something I pulled up with a quick search

http://www.usnews.com/education/onl...ts-may-face-challenges-with-degree-reputation
It was a few articles I read in Blomberg Businessweek from earlier this month about a lot of universities are pushing for the online MBA and in general a lot of companies are looking for MBAs instead of PHds. I'm more for on class but the articles was suggesting it.

[COLOR=#red]A VERY slept on field is geology..specifically Petroleum Geology. I started at Texas A&M Jan 2013 in the Masters of Geololgy program, then like a dummy I switched to the International Affairs program after getting offered a job at one of the *** agencies. But then I realized I didn't want to go back to the top secret life and I took a semester off and moved to Dallas. I decided to try to get back to A&M's Masters program, but in case they didn't want me back I got in contact with University of Michigan's Geo program. My Cum GPA was 3.91 and with my work experience with government agencies they were definitely interested. Anyway A&M re-accepted me and here I am in Utah, Montana, and Colorado on a 6 week A&M sponsored geology field camp that I'm getting paid $4400 as a graduate teachers assistant.

A petroleum geologist with a masters from a top rated school gets offered on average $100+k right out of school with a $5000-$10,000k signing bonus. Texas A&M and the University of Texas are the top schools for producing petroleum geologists so all the companies like Exxon, Chevron, Shell, BP, and Conoco-Phillips recruit heavily from our school. The crazy thing about it is that for your first year at the big companies you are in training...this means your getting over $100k while training and going to classes and doing rotations.

It's not hard field work like people might think...a Petro Geo at the Masters level works mostly in a office building...matter of fact Exxon is currently building a huge multi building campus north of Houston. Also you don't have to stay a scientist...you can move over into the business side of the oil industry if you so choose. That's what I plan on doing...working my way up as a scientist while learning the business aspects eventually working my way to the executive ranks. Or I may explore opening my own smaller oil subsidiary which is very possible using the minority business contract program.

I typed all of this in hopes that maybe some undergraduate is lurking and seeing that there are a lot more opportunities to become successful and financially secure besides the typical Doctor/Lawyer track. The energy industry is where it's at..and you can become insanely wealthy without going to school forever. It's never too late to switch either....I changed to the geosciences in my junior year of undergrad because I saw that a psychology degree was a waste in this market...best move I ever made.[/COLOR]

http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/2013/snapshots/6.html
Petroleum Geologist

Median pay: $183,000
Top pay: $289,000
10-year job growth: 21.2%
Total jobs*: 33,800
What they do all day? Discovering the next great oil play is the goal of these geoscientists. You might envision them in the field breaking rocks with hammers, but they actually spend the day in front of high-powered computers, running simulations and manipulating geologic data to test their hypotheses of where petroleum reservoirs can be extracted.

How to get the job? Business acumen is as important as the ability to decipher geophysical clues. The job isn't just finding where to drill and turn up oil -- it's finding the location where a company can drill and make a great profit.

Petroleum geologists get to explore the wonder of the dynamic Earth. But with a lot riding on their calculations -- oil and gas wells can cost several hundred million dollars -- they must be able to handle high-precision work under high-stress conditions. --G.W.

Quality of life ratings: Personal satisfaction: ABenefit to society: BFlexibility: BLow stress: B

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]A VERY slept on field is geology..specifically Petroleum Geology. I started at Texas A&M Jan 2013 in the Masters of Geololgy program, then like a dummy I switched to the International Affairs program after getting offered a job at one of the *** agencies. But then I realized I didn't want to go back to the top secret life and I took a semester off and moved to Dallas. I decided to try to get back to A&M's Masters program, but in case they didn't want me back I got in contact with University of Michigan's Geo program. My Cum GPA was 3.91 and with my work experience with government agencies they were definitely interested. Anyway A&M re-accepted me and here I am in Utah, Montana, and Colorado on a 6 week A&M sponsored geology field camp that I'm getting paid $4400 as a graduate teachers assistant.

A petroleum geologist with a masters from a top rated school gets offered on average $100+k right out of school with a $5000-$10,000k signing bonus. Texas A&M and the University of Texas are the top schools for producing petroleum geologists so all the companies like Exxon, Chevron, Shell, BP, and Conoco-Phillips recruit heavily from our school. The crazy thing about it is that for your first year at the big companies you are in training...this means your getting over $100k while training and going to classes and doing rotations.

It's not hard field work like people might think...a Petro Geo at the Masters level works mostly in a office building...matter of fact Exxon is currently building a huge multi building campus north of Houston. Also you don't have to stay a scientist...you can move over into the business side of the oil industry if you so choose. That's what I plan on doing...working my way up as a scientist while learning the business aspects eventually working my way to the executive ranks. Or I may explore opening my own smaller oil subsidiary which is very possible using the minority business contract program.

I typed all of this in hopes that maybe some undergraduate is lurking and seeing that there are a lot more opportunities to become successful and financially secure besides the typical Doctor/Lawyer track. The energy industry is where it's at..and you can become insanely wealthy without going to school forever. It's never too late to switch either....I changed to the geosciences in my junior year of undergrad because I saw that a psychology degree was a waste in this market...best move I ever made.[/COLOR]
+1

Geology degree + MBA in Texas = greatness in a can

I have my BA in psychology from cuny baruch and have decided to go back and pursue my mba. I'm just not sure if i want to do a general mba or an mba is i/o psych. Anyone advice will be greatly appreciated.

[COLOR=#red]No doubt Fontaine...as a matter of fact an MBA alone from Texas or A&M alone can get you in the oil biz big time.[/COLOR]

Thought about it before.

But what are generally the prerequisites to get into programs of that field

Maybe use your situation as an example

I'm not sure about online MBA programs, but from what I hear, most employers frown upon online degrees.

I could be wrong. I would personally go for the on-campus degree, though, if I had a choice.

Edit: just something I pulled up with a quick search

http://www.usnews.com/education/onl...ts-may-face-challenges-with-degree-reputation

The point of an MBA is to network. That is why most MBA programs have you work in group projects for EVERYTHING. On-line you might be working with people you'll never run across in the real world.

On-line MBA = worthless. Real class MBA's are losing their value rapidly as well.

Current Status: Full time student, Part time job (teacher assistant)

Current student at CSULA. Will be receiving my teaching credentials (elementary teacher) and B.A in Urban Learning by Fall 2015. Debt free.
The problem is I will turn 23 next year and I'm thinking no one will take me seriously for a teaching position at this age!!! 
Also, I feel like i will be actually entering the "real world" at this point. Im a bit nervous in all honesty. 

Will apply for grad school within a year or two....
Man I'm very limited on the information but one of my best friends just graduated from CSUN (also 23) doing the exact same thing you're doing. He did his credentials along with hours and all that (sorry but I don't know the exact requirements). Anyways he hustled his butt off during March until graduation going to to schools and handing in his résumé to the principal personally. He did this for 3 months until he finally got a call and interview for a teaching position at a school and he got the position a week before we actually graduated. It's possible bro just put in that work along with some faith and it'll happen.

Question to my top MBA school guys...

I'm looking to apply... But at application time, I would have 2 years of experience...

But upon entry... I'd have 3 years...

Would I fit into the 3-8 year experience window?

Also... How important is applying early?

I did the grad school thing but it was a very regional lowly ranked place... All my applying was done last minute, and I'm pretty sure they'll accept anybody. Lol.

Also... If you get denied one year... Are you done with that school forever? Or can you reapply the following year?

Got denied on all my apps :/

Plan is to take some more extended classes and retake the GRE

At worst I guess I can apply at Phoenix for my MSW

@lpheat22 get at me. I received my msw in 2013 from washu in st. louis. The toped ranked program. Im sure i could be of assistance

Got denied on all my apps :/

Plan is to take some more extended classes and retake the GRE

At worst I guess I can apply at Phoenix for my MSW
Keep your head up son...how many schools did you apply to?

Only applied to 3 since I'm trying to stay in so cal and within reasonable distance of my job.

@lpheat22 get at me. I received my msw in 2013 from washu in st. louis. The toped ranked program. Im sure i could be of assistance

Will do

Just graduated with My M.S. in Technology in May. Taking my talents to Texas this summer in hopes of finding something beneficial. To everyone currently in Grad school, just keep grinding. To those in undergrad that know they are making the move to graduate school, look for all possible scholarships, especially Graduate Assistantships. There is so many ways you can go to Grad school for free or a reduced price, please take advantage of those opportunities!

I have been talking with my boy about grad school. He saying I should work for a year make some money than attend grad school. I push my graduation back until this fall to take a few prereqs for my Masters in Food Science(4 classes).

Now I am thinking about using this fall semester to get a Concentration in Supply Chain Management(Marketing Major). To better my chances for employment in the DMV area maybe LA to. And just take night classes for my prereqs if need be.

Just weighting my options while I'm in this in between time before graduation.

I have been talking with my boy about grad school. He saying I should work for a year make some money than attend grad school. I push my graduation back until this fall to take a few prereqs for my Masters in Food Science(4 classes).

Now I am thinking about using this fall semester to get a Concentration in Supply Chain Management(Marketing Major). To better my chances for employment in the DMV area maybe LA to. And just take night classes for my prereqs if need be.

Just weighting my options while I'm in this in between time before graduation.
what's your major fam?

Question to my top MBA school guys...

I'm looking to apply... But at application time, I would have 2 years of experience...

But upon entry... I'd have 3 years...

Would I fit into the 3-8 year experience window?

Also... How important is applying early?

I did the grad school thing but it was a very regional lowly ranked place... All my applying was done last minute, and I'm pretty sure they'll accept anybody. Lol.

Also... If you get denied one year... Are you done with that school forever? Or can you reapply the following year?

3 years isn't a lot but if you can write a good app and explain your job well enough you'll be fine. I have 3 this year as well- I think it definitely hurt me at some schools where the average is higher, but at some schools it isn't a big deal. Just to give you an example, Duke's MBA program has an average age at around 30, so they clearly value having work experience. So, I think it'd be safe to assume it'd be more competitive to get in with less experience.

You don't have to apply early; Round 1 or Round 2 is fine. Round 3, I wouldn't take that risk though.

You can definitely reapply if you get "dinged" the first time around. In fact, this is my second go-around with apps, and I'm still alive at all my re-app schools at the moment (waiting lists).

Last edited:
Hey everyone. First off, thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread! So much valuable information for those planning to pursue a Master's degree such as myself :smile:

One question for those who have been accepted to a graduate program....how did you guys handle your letters of recommendations? I've been out of school for 3 years and like a dummy, I never thought about asking for letters or even keeping in touch with my professors. This is one of the main things stopping me from applying to grad school. I think some Cal State University's don't require letters of rec but I really want to apply to big univeristy. Anyone have any tips on what I could do?

Last edited:
patent leather patent leather theres gotta be someone from your previous institution youre still cool with or had a healthy relationship that could write on your behalf. Were you in any groups or orgs? If so hit them up and see if someone can help. Your best bet is to find out what specific schools you want to apply to and see their departments requirements. Some may accept letters that arent academically based, maybe professional and what not. Try hitting up your old academic advisor maybe she/he can write one or point you in the right ditection. All in all dont let this stop you. Best of luck

^ Glad to know I'm not alone in stopping a program. Only thing is I did it twice...to two other programs :lol:

-First one was at Cal Poly Pomona, Educational Multimedia. I liked it but the program was built for teachers who wanted to add multimedia tools to their classrooms.

- Second one was CSU Fullerton, M.S, Higher Education. Always was ennamored with the program until I got in it. Got placed in a crappy Graduate Assistantship, didn't get along with the Program Director who also my boss, etc. Bounced after a semester.

Now that I work for LA's Metro, I'm going to try my hand at a Master's in Transportation Management from San Jose State or even Morgan State if I have to. I always had a passion for public transit as outlined here so it makes sense.

That being said, what are the best tools to prepare for the GMAT and/or GRE?

So as an update:

I got in to SJSUs Transportation Management program! It's a distance program so I'm able to stay at my job and attend class at my company's headquarters in the evenings. I just have to take the GRE which I think is for formality reasons at this point.

I'm also thinking of pursuing an MBA from a top tier school after so hopefully I'll have 2 Masters by the age of 30. I still have a ways to go before that so we'll see!

really? That's cray.

Why are they losing their value?
Over-saturation?

Pretty much. You can get an MBA almost anywhere nowadays and the curriculum doesn't matter much. The only differentiators nowadays are the perquisites to get in.

I know a guy that got into U of C as an at large.

Back
Top Bottom