Graphic Designers of NT, Come Hither.

Doubt I'll be able to participate in any contest, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

A great blog for all around design stuff from print, motion graphics and even video. Constantly updated like Hypebeast. Sick stuff:

http://www.changethethought.com/

And I forgot about this guy too. Found out about him in one of those Computer graphics mags. Dude has some great illustrations:

CARDINALS01_meka.jpg

blackhawks.jpg

BHAWKS01_meka.jpg

1136d16fd0fd4f35b84ef0d29bb84203_7.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

http://blog.zombiecorp.net/
http://chezmeka.com/

e4b265851d0b161abe6cb8c5a8315d660a7030e2.jpeg

i did this in illustrator based off a desaturated pic of myself.

basically, you break the image down into 3 layers: dark, midtones, and light.

the dark has the crosshatch, midtones have lighter sketch, and leave the light part alone.

works the same way with the pen tool.

i'll do a tutorial on here if y'all really want to see the process from start to finish.

I'm no [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mel Marcelo but I do digital illustrations as well. I pretty much live in Illustrator so I'm very familiar with the software. I work in CS5 and as far as I know there were very minimal changes and the only ones I use at all are the perspective grid and the stroke width adjustor (basically change widths of stroke between two points). And these take a loooooong time, each one is probably 15+ hrs so I can only imagine how long Mel Marcelo's are. I haven't actually made one since the spring but here is what I've done so far...[/font]

chanp.png

machetee.png

sfamous.png

blackdynamite.png

portraita.png%20

designyoutrust.com and mosaic-on.com are nice sites to check

been designing for about 10 years, find what interests you and specialize in it.

I've found that if you want to do graphic design for a living, it would be in your best interest to pick up some web design skills as well. As much as I love design, it just doesnt afford me the standard of living that I would like. However, when I brushed up on my CSS/jquery/PHP skills, I could offer more services to my clients, as well as charge more. Now I'm getting 3x what I was making just a year ago, and have alot more work coming my way. I don't like coding, but I do like money, as it affords me more time to do what I wanna do and sing the songs I like to sing.

I digress, post more designs and I'll get back to y'all with some info on the contest. I have some supreme gear and pine foams I'm thinking about throwing down just to see this jump off properly.

Stunthard post that tutorial you mentioned from your previous post whenever you can

Originally Posted by StuntHard

I've found that if you want to do graphic design for a living, it would be in your best interest to pick up some web design skills as well. As much as I love design, it just doesnt afford me the standard of living that I would like. However, when I brushed up on my CSS/jquery/PHP skills, I could offer more services to my clients, as well as charge more. Now I'm getting 3x what I was making just a year ago, and have alot more work coming my way. I don't like coding, but I do like money, as it affords me more time to do what I wanna do and sing the songs I like to sing.

I digress, post more designs and I'll get back to y'all with some info on the contest. I have some supreme gear and pine foams I'm thinking about throwing down just to see this jump off properly.

True. Graphic design as a profession got hit hard with the economy going down. No one wants to pay top dollar for services unless you are the best of the best. Web is where it's at and print design is becoming a lost art. If you do design, make sure to go with the times too. Flash was huge 10 years ago and not everything is CSS or blog style sites. And yes...coding sucks and I learned just from trial and error.

I'll be working on some stuff and will post stuff as I progress. Let's make this thread live!

Would definitely be interested in joining if this actually goes down. Could help with the incentives too.

While I won't be contributing much, as a 1st year graphic design student I'll definitely be checking out this thread regularly

I've seen some graphic design threads on here, but I never posted anything. Here's a poster I did for my Print 1 class. 
9fd15d407301122ef19f6746c4abaa2f61e1595.png

I have my eyes on this thread.. I'm really getting into web design, and graphic/web design go hand in hand. I'll have to learn this eventually. I need logos for my salon and new project that I'm starting.

hey guys - i'm looking to grow my contact list of dope and RELIABLE graphic designers. my company (www.gamesevenmktg.com) takes on some cool projects so i'm always trying to network and see who i can bring on to help. if any of you guys freelance or are open to parttime design work - would def be interested in checking out your portfolio of work!

posting for later... definitely will keep up with this thread hvaen't touched my graphic design skills in like 3 years man....

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by StuntHard

True. Graphic design as a profession got hit hard with the economy going down. No one wants to pay top dollar for services unless you are the best of the best. Web is where it's at and print design is becoming a lost art. If you do design, make sure to go with the times too. Flash was huge 10 years ago and not everything is CSS or blog style sites. And yes...coding sucks and I learned just from trial and error.
THIS

I also suggest you guys all learn WordPress as well.

I love design, but I'm not about that starving artist life...
30t6p3b.gif

Knowing your HTML and CSS is crucial at this point in the game.

Down.. Been designing graphics on my spare time for over 5 yrs now.. I make plenty flyers, wouldn't mind putting some skill to use.

You guys are good. i mean i'm no artist , especially on paper or canvas i've always sort of wondered how things got form paper to photoshop. great thread

Man, I wish I knew how to do graphic design...
frown.gif

I tried before to change some images into cartoon images with the help of some YouTube vids... Turned out ok, I guess...
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom