GRE...grad school..or just find a job

As i sit here in my cubicle at my job studying for this new HARD @zz GRE exam..i find myself thinking "is it even really worth it?" . I mean i really dont wanna take this test, but an bachelors degree dont get u %@+ but in debt nowadays, im thinking should i just try to find a job instead of going through with this. Feedback?
pimp.gif

'

^what you trying to get?
unless you going to a top school, i wouldnt bother. but if you got money to spend on school, go for it. doesnt hurt.

Not understanding. A bachelor's degree could get you debt, but if that's the big issue why even think of grad school? And to compound that with not wanting to take the GRE anyway. Go find a job.

Well Im graduating from University of Memphis with a degree in Sports and Leisure Management..I plan on attending here to get a masters in Sports Commerce, but only if I recieve this grad assistantship i applied for.Im tryna work with a sports franchise and eventually open my own community center for the youth..this test is no joke though, i havent done half of this %$! since high school smh

I think you're too influenced w/ these easy *** major. These are majors that collegiate atheletes take, so that they can maintain a GPA and still play sports. LOL

Are you serious though? What can your degree get you? Did you really think, you were gonna manage the Lakers, or Grizzlies?

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

I think you're too influenced w/ these easy *** major. These are majors that collegiate atheletes take, so that they can maintain a GPA and still play sports. LOL

eek.gif
tired.gif
laugh.gif

I do like OPs vision of his future though.

it took me 5 years after graduating w my BA to realize that i needed higher education to advance in my field.

do i wish i would have started my masters sooner? yes.
would i trade in the experience and value i acquired professionally? no.

however, my advice for those who have the option and if it applies to your field,

get your masters ASAP.

at my point in time, i have one year left of a three year program.

i can either graduate with an MS and start accruing hours for licensure

OR

i can go for my PHD, a 4-5 year process.

if i take the PHD route i will finish when I'm 34.

Thoughts from my academic NTers in terms of direction?

Thanks

/thread derail.

Originally Posted by John Mayer

it took me 5 years after graduating w my BA to realize that i needed higher education to advance in my field.

do i wish i would have started my masters sooner? yes.
would i trade in the experience and value i acquired professionally? no.

however, my advice for those who have the option and if it applies to your field,

get your masters ASAP.

at my point in time, i have one year left of a three year program.

i can either graduate with an MS and start accruing hours for licensure

OR

i can go for my PHD, a 4-5 year process.

if i take the PHD route i will finish when I'm 34.

Thoughts from my academic NTers in terms of direction?

Thanks

/thread derail.

keep going to school famb...
look for scholarships, or companies/corporations that are willing to help you.

i'm getting a MS-Finance (30 hours, 1.5 years) then work for 1.5 years... then gun for a top tier MBA school.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I think it all depends on the field you're in. I know people who got the Master's and were able to move up in their company and then people who got a Master's and their salary barely increased. Best bet would be to talk to somebody high up in the field you are trying to get in. Through my brief experience in today's job market, job experience is more crucial. 

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

eek.gif
tired.gif
laugh.gif

I do like OPs vision of his future though.

the lack of dambs given is astounding.

Depending on your field, a masters might not be worth it. I was told a masters is the same as 2 years experience working

im about to start studying for this GRE to get into school at GA state does anyone know if the old book help or should i just buy the new one?

Are you serious though? What can your degree get you? Did you really think, you were gonna manage the Lakers, or Grizzlies?
Damn bro tell him how you really feel.
laugh.gif

man when your a 18 year old first generation student in ur family everything in college is new yo. I know damn well I should have majored in something like dentistry or some, but I wanted to do stuff with sports, already have good experience working with ACC and C-USA conference tournaments..and shi* why cant i manage one of them? I'm already very well connected with the Event Manager for the Grizzlies so anything is possible.and im sure u dont really need anything but AMBITION and DEDICAYTION to open up my community center. But it seems like the masters is the way to go at an early age..and to the guy who was wondering about what book to purchase, u need to get the new one becuase they changed the way the exam is done was last year.

Some real #%@*, don't listen to these gump %+% forum 14 dudes.

Do you, just make sure you have a fall back plan.

If you want to work in sports, 99% of it is about who you know so foster relationships with as many people as you can. You say you gotta hook with the Grizzlies so it sounds like you're on the right track.

Just keep your options open in case your dream job doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom