Greatest playoff runs: Nos. 1-5 (NBA)

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

You must be in high school still.

Tim Duncan > An entire team? Child please. You know nothing about basketball if you think that '01 Spurs team could contend with the '96 Sonics. That Sonics team won 64 games in the regular season, 11 games ahead of the Pacific Division runner-up Lakers and 5 head of the 2nd seeded Spurs. They swept the 2 time defending champion Rockets, and made MJ turn in his worst Finals series. But yeah, you're right, Tim Duncan is better than their entire team...

grin.gif
I didn't mean for those commas to denote inclusivity. But yes, a Sonics team that had a great regular season is definitely more memorable than Tim Duncan 
indifferent.gif
And where is the '01 Spurs recognition in history, smart guy? What are they remembered for?
They're remembered the same as your Sonics team: not champions. Unfortunately for you, that's the best GP and Reign Man ever did in their NBA career...while Duncan is widely considered the greatest PF of all time in terms of talent and accomplishments. 
Again, I didn't say Duncan was better than their entire team (although accomplishment wise he easily trumps them
laugh.gif
); I'm merely pointing out that any team that could dominate Duncan like that in the early-mid 2000s should never be discredited. 

But carry on and keep fighting for your 96 Sonics....Durant > your memories of Seattle.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Wondering if this will somehow cause people to think

A. Anyone is saying the Lakers > Bulls
B. Anyone is saying that Kobe > Jordan

this 
laugh.gif
Kobe is not better than Jordan but the 2001 LA Lakers would beat the crap out of any Bulls team

You must be in high school still.

Tim Duncan > An entire team? Child please. You know nothing about basketball if you think that '01 Spurs team could contend with the '96 Sonics. That Sonics team won 64 games in the regular season, 11 games ahead of the Pacific Division runner-up Lakers and 5 head of the 2nd seeded Spurs. They swept the 2 time defending champion Rockets, and made MJ turn in his worst Finals series. But yeah, you're right, Tim Duncan is better than their entire team...

grin.gif
I didn't mean for those commas to denote inclusivity. But yes, a Sonics team that had a great regular season is definitely more memorable than Tim Duncan 
indifferent.gif
And where is the '01 Spurs recognition in history, smart guy? What are they remembered for?
They're remembered the same as your Sonics team: not champions. Unfortunately for you, that's the best GP and Reign Man ever did in their NBA career...while Duncan is widely considered the greatest PF of all time in terms of talent and accomplishments. 
Again, I didn't say Duncan was better than their entire team (although accomplishment wise he easily trumps them
laugh.gif
); I'm merely pointing out that any team that could dominate Duncan like that in the early-mid 2000s should never be discredited. 

But carry on and keep fighting for your 96 Sonics....Durant > your memories of Seattle.

1. GP, Kemp, and Co. didn't quit against the Bulls like Duncan and the Spurs did against the Lakers.
2. This is exactly what you said,"Tim Duncan > Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, George Karl, the color green, Space Needle, etc." Kemp and Payton were teammates, George Karl was their coach. Yes, you did say Duncan is better than the Seattle team.
3. Their not my Sonics, but I know for damn sure they were better than the '01 Spurs.
4. You have nothing other than, "They have Tim Duncan, that's why they're better." Come up with better valid points, champ.

What makes the '01 Spurs better than the '96 Sonics?

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

this 
laugh.gif
Kobe is not better than Jordan but the 2001 LA Lakers would beat the crap out of any Bulls team

Debatable.

Some of the Laker discrediting is hilarious

In terms of playoff dominance 01 lakers > any other team.

That spurs series still got me thinkin to this day as I remember prior to it people were talkin about it determining who the real champ was after Tim Duncan got hurt in the 2000 playoffs.

Straight overall dominance

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

WTH, are there two Gary Paytons on the same pic?

And where are the 99 Spurs with their 15-2 record?
laugh.gif
nope, the guy on the right is the "imposter", Vincent Askew.
'01 Lakers vs. '96 Bulls? Bulls. Forget what MJ and Pippen could do. Rodman would've mind&^%*(* the hell outta Shaq & pretty much any big man they put in front of him. (refer to Bulls vs Magic 1996 ECF matchup). Kukoc, a young-ER Ron Harper & Steve Kerr spotting up behind the arc.

I like how people saying the Lakers were one of the best teams ever and had the 2nd greatest playoff run of all time are seen as 'discrediting' and 'downplaying' the Lakers. A little perspective please

Why would anyone in their "right mind" think or even attempt to say such a thing.  After all, as far as that 2001 Lakers are concerned there's a reason 1 guy in particular is holding both the NBA Finals trophy and the NBA Finals MVP trophy.  That other guy is nowhere in sight in that picture.

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

this 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
... beat the crap ... word?

i'd like to see the 92, 93 and 96 teams vs. 2001 LA and see what would happen ...

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Why would anyone in their "right mind" think or even attempt to say such a thing.  After all, as far as that 2001 Lakers are concerned there's a reason 1 guy in particular is holding both the NBA Finals trophy and the NBA Finals MVP trophy.  That other guy is nowhere in sight in that picture.
but Shaq called Kobe his hero, tho

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Even Batman called Robin his hero the select few times Batman was in a jam.  The still doesn't change the dynamic of who's #1 and who's #2 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Even Batman called Robin his hero the select few times Batman was in a jam.  The still doesn't change the dynamic of who's #1 and who's #2 
wink.gif

you know damn well that no alpha is gonna call the 2nd option his hero in any scenario
laugh.gif
. Jordan would never call ______ his hero, Duncan would never call ______ his hero, Isaiah would never call _______ his hero, Magic would never call ________ his hero, Bird would never call ________ his hero, etc. And Batman would NEVER give anyone but himself a compliment 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

1. GP, Kemp, and Co. didn't quit against the Bulls like Duncan and the Spurs did against the Lakers.
2. This is exactly what you said,"Tim Duncan > Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, George Karl, the color green, Space Needle, etc." Kemp and Payton were teammates, George Karl was their coach. Yes, you did say Duncan is better than the Seattle team.
3. Their not my Sonics, but I know for damn sure they were better than the '01 Spurs.
4. You have nothing other than, "They have Tim Duncan, that's why they're better." Come up with better valid points, champ.

What makes the '01 Spurs better than the '96 Sonics?
1. Look up YouTube videos of the Finals games the Sonics actually won. Jordan still got to his spots and was missing shots he usually makes. Do we give the Sonics/GP credit? Sure, but to say they shut him down is a bit preposterous.
2. As I clarified in my very next reply, those commas were not meant to denote exclusivity. If I said "Dwight > Bynum, Lopez, Cousins, etc" that doesn't mean that I mean Dwight > Bynum + Lopez + Cousins. This isn't a damn math problem, try again though.

3. You know the 96 Sonics were better than the '01 Spurs because they had a nice regular season record and Jordan missed some easy shots in a couple of Finals games? Using that line of thinking, would you say the 2012 Thunder would stomp the 01' Spurs (or any other team that didn't win the championship) since they had a nice regular season and they shut down Kobe? See how dumb that sounds?

4. Again...your premise is based on 2 things: Sonics had a nice regular season & MJ struggled in a few games. My premise is based on the fact that handedly beating the Big Fundamental in a Conference Finals should never be discredited. Are the 96 Sonics better? Sure, it's a possibility (but really, who cares?. Did it catch my attention when you tried to discredit the Lakers by downplaying the significance of destroying Tim Duncan's Spurs? Yes.

you know damn well that no alpha is gonna call the 2nd option his hero in any scenario

Be that as it may, Shaq also said that he was the big brother and Kobe was the little brother.  Based upon the numbers both individuals put up during the regular season and playoffs when they won those titles Shaq couldn't have been MORE right in regards to the big brother/little brother comment.  Remember champ, men lie.......women lie.............NBA Finals MVP trophies DON'T.

Be that as it may, Shaq also said that he was the big brother and Kobe was the little brother.  Based upon the numbers both individuals put up during the regular season and playoffs when they won those titles Shaq couldn't have been MORE right in regards to the big brother/little brother comment.  Remember champ, men lie.......women lie.............NBA Finals MVP trophies DON'T.

More championships, more career points, more career playoff points, more career All-Star points, more All-Star appearances, more All-Star MVPs, after this Olympics he'll have more Gold medals, more All-NBA 1st teams (and All-NBA teams in general for that matter), more Finals appearances, more all NBA defensive teams (Shaq never made a 1st team), more scoring titles, 81 point game, etc don't lie either 
tongue.gif

More championships, more career points, more career playoff points, more career All-Star points, more All-Star appearances, more All-Star MVPs, after this Olympics he'll have more Gold medals, more All-NBA 1st teams (and All-NBA teams in general for that matter), more Finals appearances, more all NBA defensive teams (Shaq never made a 1st team), more scoring titles, 81 point game, etc don't lie either 
tongue.gif

You said alot right there champ, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so with that being said..................................

4920970629_7fb8758dbc.jpg

This picture accurately and perfectly describes the relationship of Shaq and Kobe while they played TOGETHER, which is what I was referring to, anything after that is...............just after that.

tongue.gif

You said alot right there champ, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so with that being said..................................

4920970629_7fb8758dbc.jpg

This picture accurately and perfectly describes the relationship of Shaq and Kobe while they played TOGETHER, which is what I was referring to, anything after that is...............just after that.
I don't think Kobe could physically carry Shaq like that...unfair argument 
laugh.gif

Could Shaq win without Kobe? Sure, he did it in Miami.

Could Kobe win without Shaq? Sure, he did it twice with Pau.

I'm not sitting here arguing who was more important...I think they were equally important myself. Who was more dominant? Shaq. Who was more clutch? Kobe. As a Laker fan, I'm just happy they played together for as long as they did.

Originally Posted by babyface34

WTH, are there two Gary Paytons on the same pic?

laugh.gif
nope, the guy on the right is the "imposter", Vincent Askew.
'01 Lakers vs. '96 Bulls? Bulls. Forget what MJ and Pippen could do. Rodman would've mind&^%*(* the hell outta Shaq & pretty much any big man they put in front of him. (refer to Bulls vs Magic 1996 ECF matchup). Kukoc, a young-ER Ron Harper & Steve Kerr spotting up behind the arc.

The Bulls would not stand a chance... I wonder if you guys really believe what you are saying or if you're just really hate everything Kobe Bryant and the Lakers that much.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ this slowly turning into A Kobe Vs. Jordan thread. 
I would put the Lakers run above the Bulls one though, it was straight dominance of everyone including my Spurs and I still hear about it to this day, and they were an inch away from going undefeated.

IDK man I came in here expecting to see it. Inb4 "It was a lockout season nothing counts"

I'd put the Lakers playoff run ahead but I'd put the Bulls team ahead in terms of overall season and team

Back
Top Bottom