Greg Oden Out for Season vol. Deja Vu

Going to be interesting to see how his free agency goes. He'll be a restricted free agent next summer(assuming Portland extends a qualifying offer). Someone will take a gamble, but will Portland match? Or will they just cut the loss?

Pat Riley.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

Going to be interesting to see how his free agency goes. He'll be a restricted free agent next summer(assuming Portland extends a qualifying offer). Someone will take a gamble, but will Portland match? Or will they just cut their losses?

Pat Riley.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Fixed and this. I don't see any chance in hell they keep him. 
ohwell.gif

Going to be interesting to see how his free agency goes. He'll be a restricted free agent next summer(assuming Portland extends a qualifying offer). Someone will take a gamble, but will Portland match? Or will they just cut their losses?

Pat Riley.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Fixed and this. I don't see any chance in hell they keep him. 
ohwell.gif

Going to be interesting to see how his free agency goes. He'll be a restricted free agent next summer(assuming Portland extends a qualifying offer). Someone will take a gamble, but will Portland match? Or will they just cut the loss?

Pat Riley.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
DO IT LACOB!
nerd.gif

Pat Riley.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
DO IT LACOB!
nerd.gif

So all these Captain Hindsight's are killing Portland for picking Oden, but realistically how would a Roy/Durant duo work? Roy is ball dominant and Durant creates most of his own scoring as well.

So all these Captain Hindsight's are killing Portland for picking Oden, but realistically how would a Roy/Durant duo work? Roy is ball dominant and Durant creates most of his own scoring as well.

its sucks for having a feeling that Blazers will be a West finals contender in next 2-3 yrs... now more of this.

its sucks for having a feeling that Blazers will be a West finals contender in next 2-3 yrs... now more of this.

[h3][table][tr][td]
[h2]Five-minute guide[/h2][h1]Impact players, teams to watch and more on the draft[/h1]
Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2007 6:03PM; Updated: Tuesday June 26, 2007 6:15PM
[/td][/tr][/table][/h3][h3]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/06/26/draft.guide/index.html[/h3][h3]Five impact players[/h3]
1. Greg Oden: He's a nimble defender who will be a better offensive player than advertised, according to Pacers president Larry Bird. Said one general manager before the lottery: "A lot of these guys may be talking about taking the other kid [Durant] first. But I guarantee you, if any of them were to get the No. 1 pick, they'd all be taking Oden. Durant may be the best player over his first two years, but after that Oden is going to be the best player.''

[h3][table][tr][td]
[h2]Five-minute guide[/h2][h1]Impact players, teams to watch and more on the draft[/h1]
Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2007 6:03PM; Updated: Tuesday June 26, 2007 6:15PM
[/td][/tr][/table][/h3][h3]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/06/26/draft.guide/index.html[/h3][h3]Five impact players[/h3]
1. Greg Oden: He's a nimble defender who will be a better offensive player than advertised, according to Pacers president Larry Bird. Said one general manager before the lottery: "A lot of these guys may be talking about taking the other kid [Durant] first. But I guarantee you, if any of them were to get the No. 1 pick, they'd all be taking Oden. Durant may be the best player over his first two years, but after that Oden is going to be the best player.''

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by dland24

I cant believe there are so many people who are arguing that it wasnt a stupid pick at the time.

Was a stupid pick at the time, looks even worse now. Terrible.

It was stupid at the time for multiple reasons.  Period.

So that's three posts and you have yet to explain your reasoning. Brilliant.
Was just about to say the exact same thing
laugh.gif

Sorry for writing it three times.  Regardless, you guys are acting like Durant was CLEARLY the #2 pick behind Oden.  It was very split as to who people believed to be the true #1 pick (fans, coaches, gms, "experts", analysts, etc).  
My reasons to why I think it was the wrong pick....

-they had trouble scoring

-rebounding was not really a huge problem

-there wasnt a real good small forward on this team

-oden already showed a history of injury

-the franchise was faced with this situation before, and made a mistake of historic proportions

-the team was in the bottom third in attendance, and durant was a more marketable player

-they essentially just invested their first round pick, in the previous year, to a low post player

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I truly believed this at the time.  If you disagree with me, so be it.  But the Blazers will have now passed on two superstar scoring wing players (one being the GOAT, one with the potential of being an all time great) to draft big men that turned out to be trash.  Whats that saying?  Those who who forget the past are doomed to something rather?

I cant believe there are so many people who are arguing that it wasnt a stupid pick at the time.

laugh.gif

Sorry for writing it three times.  Regardless, you guys are acting like Durant was CLEARLY the #2 pick behind Oden.  It was very split as to who people believed to be the true #1 pick (fans, coaches, gms, "experts", analysts, etc).  

-the franchise was faced with this situation before, and made a mistake of historic proportions

-the team was in the bottom third in attendance, and durant was a more marketable player

-they essentially just invested their first round pick, in the previous year, to a low post player

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I truly believed this at the time.  If you disagree with me, so be it.  But the Blazers will have now passed on two superstar scoring wing players (one being the GOAT, one with the potential of being an all time great) to draft big men that turned out to be trash.  Whats that saying?  Those who who forget the past are doomed to something rather?

laugh.gif

The problem is
-The Blazers wanted to focus on defense first
-Roy dominates the ball on the perimeter
-Aldridge is not a good rebounder or low post player
-Oden had/has more personality than Durant
-Small forwards are a dime a dozen (albeit Durant is a one in X year talent)
-Oden helped his team to the championship game

laugh.gif

The problem is
-The Blazers wanted to focus on defense first
-Roy dominates the ball on the perimeter
-Aldridge is not a good rebounder or low post player
-Oden had/has more personality than Durant
-Small forwards are a dime a dozen (albeit Durant is a one in X year talent)
-Oden helped his team to the championship game

A lot of the league's best big men were high draft picks (Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Duncan, David Robinson, etc.). Sometimes they don't work out, but the common theme is when it does work out, it usually leads to success and championship contention...

A lot of the league's best big men were high draft picks (Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Duncan, David Robinson, etc.). Sometimes they don't work out, but the common theme is when it does work out, it usually leads to success and championship contention...

Back
Top Bottom