GUITAR SCHOOL 101: Electric-Acoustic-Amps-Pics-Prices-ect.

Well more than likely...you probably just want to sit around the bonfire and shoot some tunes with the rest of your anglo-saxon friends and catch some glimpsesfrom cuties. Now from my experience, girls are more impressed by a guy who wields an acoustic axe and can give them a mellow Coldplay cover rather than a PaulGilbert or Slash type.

Especially with guitars though...you get what you pay for. You'll be happier if you search through Craigslist, Ebay, or your local pawn shops and finding agood deal on a lower end model from
a faithful guitar maker. Try looking up some Alvarez guitars...quality guitars and a decent price. I own a Japanese one but my experience with the lower endstuff has been satisfactory!

I heard this guy was pretty raw.
DA_esteban.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by patsilog55

go electric. and dont buy a cheap one. i mean, you dont need to go out and buy a $800 guitar, but something durable that sounds good. also, deciding what amp to buy is also a question you want to ask yourself. but thats if your interested in going with the electric route. good luck!
I want to go electric, play mainly electric, but I dont mind acoustic either, I enjoy acoustic and can play a bit, but I wanna really get into it,hit different chords right after another ect. and from what I heard acoustic strings are thicker so its harder to play, and it makes a easier transition intoelectric
ohwell.gif

That's true dude. It will be easier to transition into electric. My first was an electric. I made the choice because I wanted to play harder music rightoff the bat. Some may view it as a mistake but I'm fine with it. I sometimes play my friend's acoustic and it's still fun even though I have to usemore finger strength to hit some hammer-ons and pull-offs. Also, I'm not very good at finger-picking and I probably would have been if I started withacoustic. I use a pick almost all the time.

Just get whatever that you think will keep you playing the instrument whether it be electric or acoustic. Don't believe in the fact that if you pay moreyou are going to get a better tone. Chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference unless you have some musical background, but do get areliable one that a couple of others here had mentioned. And to Kezziny, valve and tube amps are the same.

Originally Posted by bAnkI3z

Just get whatever that you think will keep you playing the instrument whether it be electric or acoustic. Don't believe in the fact that if you pay more you are going to get a better tone. Chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference unless you have some musical background, but do get a reliable one that a couple of others here had mentioned. And to Kezziny, valve and tube amps are the same.

very true.

Ooops my bad. When I said Valve amps...I meant like the Vox Valvetronix type amps that use a small tube in the pre or post amp to get Tube like gain. Now Iagree with what you said, but we want to make sure dude gets a quality guitar. Tone and playability should always be at the top of the list when you are in themarket for any instrument, because there is nothing worse than feeling like you aren't progressing because your guitar still sounds like crap because it iscrap word to Estebans.

Think i'ma get an acoustic for christmas.
smile.gif

Beginner but I'll just practice. I know piano basics though so maybe that will help.

Does anybody know where I can get a program to play my guitar through a laptop. I currently have no amp.

Originally Posted by Kezziny

Well more than likely...you probably just want to sit around the bonfire and shoot some tunes with the rest of your anglo-saxon friends and catch some glimpses from cuties. Now from my experience, girls are more impressed by a guy who wields an acoustic axe and can give them a mellow Coldplay cover rather than a Paul Gilbert or Slash type.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

so true for some (and somewhat for me
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by aBKLYNthing

Does anybody know where I can get a program to play my guitar through a laptop. I currently have no amp.

Most Amp Makers provide a plug-in for a cost that will work for most programs like FruityLoops and Garageband.
A cheaper and better option would be a mini-amp or headphone amp like the Vox Amplugs. I used to own the AC-30 Amplug and
it did a pretty good job of emulating the real thing. You can usually find them around for about $25-30 and it makes practicing really easy!

BTW if dude is serious about playing electric then he shouldn't waste his time with a 10W Fender. With the market like it is, its not hard to find a small
Valve Amp like a Blackheart Killer Ant or Epiphone Valve Junior for a good price. Plus Solid State is a waste of time unless you are talking about Rolands.Plus if he quits
which I hope he doesn't, they will hold their value much more in the used market when he tries to resell. Come on ladies...

decided to go a acoustic first, keep it real simple and cheap
get the rhythm going so when I do get my hands on an electric it would be a smooth transition
props for the replys ya

Go acoustic first. I started on a 1988 Squier Strat (my dad's) and I learned how to read tabs and play scales. Granted, I had already been playing violinfor 6 years then, so it wasn't a problem for me. But regardless, my first guitar that was MINE (and is still my baby) is my Takamine EG523SC (~$900 at thetime):

eg5235sc_6_lg.jpg

The next year, I got sick of the Squier Strat and grabbed this baby-- a Gibson SG Goddess (~$1350 at the time):

SG_Goddess_violette_norm.jpg

The SG has such a thick sound and plays everything from BB King style blues, to standard 12-bar, to the most intense metal you've ever heard.

You definitely want to start on a cheap acoustic. Yamaha is always a solid bet. Just go to Guitar Center, tell them what you're looking for and yourbudget, and they'll help you out.

if you want a nice acoustic and not worried about spending alot grab yourself a martin. Great investment

crank .... what type of accoustic did you get and for how much ........ I've been looking for a cheap one for some time now .... which is reallly toughwhen you're a lefty

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

Oh and Hip-hop & stringed intrustments aren't mutually exclusive.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

JM Alife Session

Brown Sugar - D'angelo (Guitar jam)

I legitimately listen to the Alife sessions atleast once a week. The 93 'til Infinity cover is probably my 2nd favorite thing John Mayer has ever done.

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

crank .... what type of accoustic did you get and for how much ........ I've been looking for a cheap one for some time now .... which is reallly tough when you're a lefty
Im going to to look around this weekend, not looking to spend more than 150$, but Ive searched online and finding lefty guitars is a pain, I didntknow right handed was so favored, do leftys tend to cost more? it kinda sucks

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

crank .... what type of accoustic did you get and for how much ........ I've been looking for a cheap one for some time now .... which is reallly tough when you're a lefty
Im going to to look around this weekend, not looking to spend more than 150$, but Ive searched online and finding lefty guitars is a pain, I didnt know right handed was so favored, do leftys tend to cost more? it kinda sucks
http://www.guitarcenter.c...ar-104786173-i1171383.gc Thatsif u can drop the extra 30 bucks. There are tons of lefty guitars u arent looking hard enough dude !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamah...itar?hash=item4a9d1a09aa

Originally Posted by conv3rge

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

Im going to to look around this weekend, not looking to spend more than 150$, but Ive searched online and finding lefty guitars is a pain, I didnt know right handed was so favored, do leftys tend to cost more? it kinda sucks
http://www.guitarcenter.c...ar-104786173-i1171383.gc Thats if u can drop the extra 30 bucks. There are tons of lefty guitars u arent looking hard enough dude !
I seen that, but never heard of that brand, is it straight?

Back
Top Bottom