Gun-Control Today; Fat-Control Tomorrow?

It's be interesting to overlay the following map with one of fast food joints per square mile.

Because while guns may or may not kill people, the bottom line is that of the 32K or so death attributed to firearms, roughly 20K, or two thirds were suicides, meaning firearm-based homicides were 11,015 in 2010. Putting this number in perspective, every year some 935,000 Americans suffer a heart attack, and 600,000 people die from some form heart disease: 1 in every 4 deaths. Net result to society: the cost of coronary heart disease borne by everyone is $108.9 billion each year. And of all proximal factors contributing to heart disease, obesity and overweight is the main one. But of course one can't make a media spectacle out of 600,000 hospital wards where people quietly pass away, in many cases due to a lifetime of ill decisions relating primarily to food consumption. In fact, some estimate that obesity now accounts for one fifth of the total US health-care bill (the part of the budget which no amount of tax increase can offset). Which is why if the topic of gun-control has managed to promptly tear the country into two (or three, or more), just wait until fat-control (far more than the recent tepid overtures into this field such as Bloomberg's NYC sugary soda ban) rears its ugly head and sends the already polarized (and weaponized) US society into a state of agitated hyperflux.

Just like in the sensitive issue of gun-control, there is no easy, or definitive answer when it comes to the world's most overweight nation. Perhaps, however, the best clue to what should happen comes from the WSJ's interview with the 107 year old Irving Khan, one of Wall Street's oldest investors and Ben Graham's research assistant, who made the following remark on unwholesome lifestyles: "Millions of people die every year of something they could cure themselves: lack of wisdom and lack of ability to control their impulses."

And that's really it. Sadly, the government, in its encroaching desire to become the world's nanny state par excellence, already believes it can offset everything else, including human stupidity and impulse control. That it can't will become very apparent in time, but only when everyone finally wakes up from the 150 year old dream that started with Bismarck's 'Welfare State' utopia, and sadly ends in bloodshed. With or without gun control.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-22/gun-control-today-fat-control-tomorrow

New York is trying but the only way for that to stop is if we force people to move and work out. The amount of food people eat hasn't changed but the lifestyles people live have.

New York is trying but the only way for that to stop is if we force people to move and work out. The amount of food people eat hasn't changed but the lifestyles people live have.
People eat way more calories now ( one fast food meal can be in excess of 1500 calories) and many of the calories are empty (simple carbs, sugar). 

You can't stroll into a school and kill people, painfully and instantaneously, with quarter-pound bacon cheeseburgers. So please, stop it. You're only making yourself look silly.
Is this about stopping people from dying preventable painful deaths ( b/c years of coronary heart disease is painful) or is this about short term politics?

As the article also mentioned, heart disease is also costing the nation a **** load of money which can be better spent. Heart disease is completely preventable. It is a by product of diet. 

You want the government to prevent unnecessary deaths? Fine. Let them do it across the board. Not just where it only infringes on the rights of certain groups of people. 

Pretending that this is about preventing unnecessary deaths when it is really about politics is disingenuous. 

You don't give a **** about kids or school or whatever else. This is about, "whites conservatives  love guns and white conservatives are horrible , so let's stick it to them!" 

Last edited:
As the article also mentioned, heart disease is also costing the nation a **** load of money which can be better spent. Heart disease is completely preventable. It is a by product of diet. 
I agree with this. End of life care is the biggest problem though. Physicians need to do a better job of educating patients and patients and their family need to do a better job of letting go.

I agree with this. End of life care is the biggest problem though. Physicians need to do a better job of educating patients and patients and their family need to do a better job of letting go.
We're so far away from taking the correct approach that it's sad. We can't even admit that being overweight is a personal flaw. Aren't you an MD (or in the process of becoming one?) I can't imagine how hard it is for physicians to talk to people who are in denial about their own flaws.

When you go overseas, you realize just how fat we are as a country.

We're so far away from taking the correct approach that it's sad. We can't even admit that being overweight is a personal flaw. Aren't you an MD (or in the process of becoming one?) I can't imagine how hard it is for physicians to talk to people who are in denial about their own flaws.

When you go overseas, you realize just how fat we are as a country.
Just a few months away. By time we're seeing patients for their newly diagnosed hypertension, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, cardiac disease, COPD, etc, they aren't in denial any more. The hard part is getting them to make the necessary changes in order to preserve what is left of their health. Unfortunately, that's not easy. And yes, it is incredibly frustrating to spend time and effort on helping people who don't help themselves.

I hate this stupid ****.

People need to learn some got damn responsibility, .

I know how to ******g step outside and hit the got damn gym. And if i wanted a 50 ounce coke and french fries with cheese I shouldn't be held back because some worthless obese maurice can't say no.

Survival of the fittest, if you want to eat til your heart explodes, that's on you. All we can do is educate, just like those who smoke cigarettes.

Last edited:
Fat ppl do it to themselves though.

Trying to control ppl who want to be fat or don't care if they are and that they're risking their health is assuming someone or a group ppl know what's good for them and should be allowed to do w/e based on that. That's insane. It curtails so many freedoms. It's borderline tyrannical.

Basically this:
Sadly, the government, in its encroaching desire to become the world's nanny state par excellence, already believes it can offset everything else, including human stupidity and impulse control. That it can't will become very apparent in time
Let those fat ppl die.

Last edited:
Education is the key to solving this and many other problems IMO.

As long as we have calories shown, that's enough for someone to make an educated decision and whether or not they want to pollute their own body

GMO's is a whole other issue unfortunately. And a much more important one.

But for those here saying who cares? I think the main reason the govt "cares" is that fat people cost the country mayor money in health care losses

Few issues here. First, heart disease is not a product of diet. There are myriad of reasons that contribute to heart disease. Heart disease is a result of a chronic inflammatory process. as you know cholesterol is the substance that actually protects the endothelium, it doesn't damage it. What damages and blocks arteries is the white blood cells, which prevents blood getting to the injured area in turn will causes necrosis over time (ischemia). What causes this chronic inflammatory process? A lot of things. Smoking, environmental issues, the oxidation process that can occur from the types of food that a person intakes, sedentary lifestyle, chronic exercising, ect. There are too many factors that can contribute to heart disease, and I have never read any medical evidence that supports that saturated fat and cholesterol contributes to heart disease. The "diet-heart hypothesis" has been proven wrong. Secondly, the health care delivery system in this country is backwards. It's more profitable to give people pills rather than teaching them things. Doctors are trained to do two things 1. Symptom management 2. Surgery, if they are surgeons. Other than that, they don't receive enough training to counsel people on diet. They should be referring out to dieticians/nutritionists. I'm not taking anything away from doctors, they are highly skilled and trained in their expertise, but when it comes to diet/exercise/nutrition, there are better options.

Last edited:
The fat isn't the issue. Just look at the amount of carbohydrates are in the products of McDonalds. Carbs get metabolized as sugar and get stored in fat cells, thus increasing their size making you fat. Unless you are Michael Phelps, nobody is burning all those carbs off. But hey, too much many is made with corn and soy subsidies, so they need something to blame it on...the "fat".

Eat whatever you please, but at least do your body the favor of staying active, go to the gym...do cardio and exercise your heart...I'm not the fittest of dudes, but I make sure I go to te gym at the least 3 times a week, the only fast food joint I frequent is Subways and if I do walk into mcDonalds I walk out with a grilled chicken salad and small fries at the most...was at the hospital and was impressed with what my resting Heart rate was...a nice 40bpm keep that heart strong.

We as Americans lead a very fast paced life...a lot of people don't have a choice but to consume fast food...we get a short 30 minute break at work, work 12+ hours, fast food is accessible and cheap, some people just don't have the time to cook up a meal at home unless on days off...it's a bit unfair to compare us to Europe, being that they have a pretty different work ethic....I know in South America (Colombia) most commercial workers close up shop at noon to go home and have a meal...

Back
Top Bottom