Happy 15th Niketalk!

I can't remember how i found this place back in 2002 but glad I did lol 

HBD NT!

Last edited:
Hate all of you with a passion...

Jk I love this site, it's just some of yall :smokin

Niketalk.com was -- literally -- my life and identity throughout my 20s. As I came over from Nikepark, I knew this was going to be something special for the long haul and I had to be "somebody" in it.

But it became more about just kicks and being a pistol starter around here as I matured in reality, and as the hobby started to change for the worst.

I've been the best man at weddings, Godfather to many children, gone on a many of infamous road trips, and gained best friends who are closer to me than blood relatives still TODAY... ALL from relationships initiated here.

That original DC/MD/VA section from '02 - '09 is legendary. :lol:

Happy 15th Anniversary NT. You've given me more than I can ever repay!

Last edited:
Fifteen years is very crazy. I only see a handful of names here that I remember, but I was the moderator of the Retro Forum back in the day. When I got involved with Niketalk, I was young. Now, I'm not. That's crazy too.

It's been way more than a minute since I've posted. And that's partially due to the impact that Niketalk has had on my life. In 2004, when I left my career as a lawyer to accept a product role at PUMA, I was no longer allowed to post on Niketalk. Some companies are touchy about that. It was a really new thing for a sneaker company to hire someone based their participation or influence on the internet. In 2004, there was really no such thing as "social media" and no one was talking about community-building or other things like that. PUMA was probably the first brand to realize the power of a community like Niketalk and make the move to put one of us knuckleheads on the payroll. I had no experience at all. But what PUMA realized was that there's no substitute for having an ear to the street. For pounding the pavement. And they realized that, in the future, the pavement was going to be digital.

Matter of fact, the number of Niketalk heads that ended up on the brand side or in other roles that intersected with footwear, streetwear and and other athletic and lifestyle brands would probably blow your mind. For me, that move jumpstarted what turned into a very fulfilling career in product, where I was able to do some really cool things, and hopefully leave a little bit of a mark on styles and brands that are meaningful to me and to the history of footwear, product and even overall popular culture. I've also been able to meet some incredible people along the way. Not a lot of people can say they get paid to do what they love. I can. And that absolutely would not have happened without Niketalk.

In the oh fourteen, I'm mostly Instagram (AIRREV), and if you are inclined to follow and peep the shoes I post, you'll have endure endless pictures of my little man, Cassius. He is everything in the world to me. He's only six, but he can name just about all the brands. In a climate of unlimited limited editions, his little arsenal of shoes will make you and your momma cry. And he knows A LOT of spots that he ain't puttin' you up on (yes, there are still spots).

Lotta things have changed. Lotta things have stayed the same. True sneaker fiends don't die. They just multiply.

Congratulations to the Niketalk Staff and to all of you for creating and maintaining this 15 year phenomenon. Extra special doo doo shoutout to Method Man. His hard work to make Niketalk the most important sneaker messageboard in the world is incredibly impressive. His dedication and integrity are unimpeachable. I'm going to stop, because I guarantee he won't take the credit. But he deserves it. It wasn't easy, but you not only did it, you did it the right way.

Peace and chicken grease.

AirRev

View media item 1299361

^^^^^

nthat.gif
nthat.gif

Our poll is now open to determine where we'll donate $15,000 in honor of our 15th anniversary:  http://niketalk.com/t/613946/help-u...15-000-in-honor-of-niketalks-15th-anniversary

Several of you have posted images of our site captured back in 2000, before @CSoldia  helped tweak the layout to replace that initial, and relatively busy, background with the more simplified, minimal look and feel that has become synonymous with NikeTalk.  

Here's an example of what that looked like, from April 2001: 

Notice the kids' table then known as the "Air Jordan XI Forum."  It was that bad.  

CSoldia is responsible for the long-running banner you see there as well.

Back before Ekin702 was getting us into trouble with Nike, we had to gather news items ourselves to help establish ourselves as a resource.  Before NikeTalk came along, all of the independent fan sites would compete to see who could break biggest stories.  In practice, this required users to travel to scores of websites to gather information.  

At the time, Nike's regional sales offices held seasonal sales to dispense salespersons' sample shoes and apparel items that were no longer needed.  I was able to purchase a few of these items, and one of our first big "stories" was a look at such sneakers as the Black/Infared Jordan VI retro, the Air Jordan XV low, and the White/Metallic Silver Air Jordan V retro.

Thanks to smartphones and the widespread popularity of DSLRs, most of our members know have the ability to take and upload digital pictures.  In 1999, our options were to find someone with a flatbed scanner capable of converting a conventional photograph, or locate an even scarcer commodity: a digital camera.  

After some prodding, I was able to borrow a Sony digital camera from a friend of a friend.  To date this further:  that camera accepted 3.5" diskettes as its media. 

This is one of the pictures, taken in April of 2000:

That its FULL resolution.

A few months later, I invested in one of Nikon's early digital cameras, and was able to use it to capture things like this - arguably our first big exclusive:

Notice the old "talk.to/niketalk" address, used before Nelson registered NikeTalk.com.  

An appearance in Slam magazine's "Kicks 2" gave our membership a huge boost, as Slam's editor at the time was one of our earliest members.  If someone has a copy, I know many of us would love to see a shot of the NT shout out inside.  That was one of our very first national press mentions.

An appearance in Slam magazine's "Kicks 2" gave our membership a huge boost, as Slam's editor at the time was one of our earliest members.  If someone has a copy, I know many of us would love to see a shot of the NT shout out inside.  That was one of our very first national press mentions.

Mine is in the addict.

Joint with the first version of the Olympic VIs on the cover in the bottom right-hand corner.

I'll see if I can retrieve it and scan it.

I remember many members posting, being PISSED and expressing their displeasure, because the "secret society" of Niketalk was now mentioned in public.

Imagine that? :rofl:

I do remember the shouts from SLAMed. I used to look forward to Kicks every year...oh where times have gone.

Those sample sales in Columbia, MD....those were the best. Run in to find the latest Jordans releasing and end up leaving with a garbage bag full of samples.

Bred was NOT an accepted term and nicekicks was strictly for bootlegs/variants.

Damn, I feel old.

Can't believe I've been here for 8 years. Love this place and the people on here, HAPPY B-DAY NIKETALK.

View media item 1299362

:pimp:....this was when I joined...I remembered that format like it was yesterday. :nthat:

wow, Airrev :wow:

I know Cam's been waiting for this very special moment to finally give NT a pic of his finished Saturn :nerd:

I too, like Meth, remember being contacted about being a part of this "project" in order to make a cleaner and better place for people, like us, to communicate and share our passion for sneakers. I only knew Nelson and Meth and Nikeville from NikePark and maybe the Hypechat chat room. But we all wanted a change to be made.

What began as the baby of one, turned into the work of the 4 of us, and in turn, the work of MANY over the years and continuing today.

With Meth's "Let's get this rolling." as this forum's maiden post, instant social interaction about sneakers with users around the world, changed forever.
It allowed a very underground niche to become a very visible subculture. And now, it spans generations.

Although my involvement in NikeTalk was MUCH more apparent during the forum's infancy, and has waned to none right now I will always be thankful for Nelson for his pioneering vision and for Meth for his great commandeering of the ship.

I'll always remember the first years, and will forever be proud of my involvement in something that created and changed a landscape.

Happy 15th..

Our poll is now open to determine where we'll donate $15,000 in honor of our 15th anniversary:  http://niketalk.com/t/613946/help-u...15-000-in-honor-of-niketalks-15th-anniversary

Several of you have posted images of our site captured back in 2000, before @CSoldia
 helped tweak the layout to replace that initial, and relatively busy, background with the more simplified, minimal look and feel that has become synonymous with NikeTalk.  

Here's an example of what that looked like, from April 2001: 

View media item 1299362

Notice the kids' table then known as the "Air Jordan XI Forum."  It was that bad.  

CSoldia is responsible for the long-running banner you see there as well.

Back before Ekin702 was getting us into trouble with Nike, we had to gather news items ourselves to help establish ourselves as a resource.  Before NikeTalk came along, all of the independent fan sites would compete to see who could break biggest stories.  In practice, this required users to travel to scores of websites to gather information.  

At the time, Nike's regional sales offices held seasonal sales to dispense salespersons' sample shoes and apparel items that were no longer needed.  I was able to purchase a few of these items, and one of our first big "stories" was a look at such sneakers as the Black/Infared Jordan VI retro, the Air Jordan XV low, and the White/Metallic Silver Air Jordan V retro.

Thanks to smartphones and the widespread popularity of DSLRs, most of our members know have the ability to take and upload digital pictures.  In 1999, our options were to find someone with a flatbed scanner capable of converting a conventional photograph, or locate an even scarcer commodity: a digital camera.  

After some prodding, I was able to borrow a Sony digital camera from a friend of a friend.  To date this further:  that camera accepted 3.5" diskettes as its media. 

This is one of the pictures, taken in April of 2000:

View media item 1299384

That its FULL resolution.

A few months later, I invested in one of Nikon's early digital cameras, and was able to use it to capture things like this - arguably our first big exclusive:

View media item 1299385

Notice the old "talk.to/niketalk" address, used before Nelson registered NikeTalk.com.  

I remember when the early new Jordan reveal was front and center on the front page!

I know Cam's been waiting for this very special moment to finally give NT a pic of his finished Saturn :nerd:

:wow: the Saturn! :lol:

man, that was anticlimactic. did we ever see finished pics? (if it was finished)

Happy 15th NT...

It's been a while, but I've come away with many great memories and friends from this forum.

Peace

NT :pimp: :pimp: #WEOUTCHEA

I've been here for 14 years. I remember discovering this site as a HS freshman trying to buy some Concord XI's and the rest is history. Here's to another 15 years CHEERS :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom