Has anyone bypassed renting their first apartment and just went straight for a house?

So much misinformation in this thread :lol:

Lol where are you all getting this stuff from. 30K in student loans 10yr payoff his monthly payment wouldn't be over $350/mo. Again, unless he has said something else about other debts and his salary I don't see how he would be extremely high risk. His DTI should check out just fine.

Point me in the direction of a bank that is going to give a quarter million dollar (speculation of price) loan to a college graduate with light credit and no evidence of a major long term loan payoff.. I haven't heard of this before. They are going to want a large down payment if he wants them to even consider him. 

US Bank, Wells Fargo, and a couple credit unions in my case. Was 23 at the time, graduated in Spring 2013, with total debts >$30,000. Credit score around 740 at the time. :smile:

I recently graduated and couldn't see myself going into debt for another 15 (or 30 :x years) just to own a house when i'm 53. I'll continue to share an apartment to keep rent low, knock out these loans, and invest the rest. Good luck OP

You're going to need to live somewhere. Do you want to A.) Rent multiple aparrments in the same general area until your eventual death (assuming you don't move states,) or B.) Purchase a home in the area, and build wealth while gaining an asset you can sell after you're done with it?

Most people think of homes in terms of their mortgages, but the mortgage is just a loan. You aren't required to pay it off before you rent or sell it, assuming you can fulfill the terms of the loan. You can even retain ownership while living in a completely different country. You don't need to wait to invest until your debt is completely eliminated, and buying a house can be one of the best ways to invest.

Last edited:
Misinformation through the roof lol. He came back and said his DTI was 17% too...crickets after that.

People dont understand the era of financial leverage that created the boom n bust. The RE uptick you see now is a shift of liquidity from overseas into US assets.

The fundamental thinking that this boom after the "great" recession happened is a bit skewed.

For all those thinking a next crash will happen, well what do you think will bring it down? The same as in 2008? lol

For all we know, prices can stay elevated for the lingest time, and the break even calculation may extends further.

Real Estate is wealth because it accumulates with each passing generation.

Many are late to the party and continue to hold onto the idea that rental income will net them some positives. But do the math, the break even point will be a long long time. But your kids will thank you for it!!!

Last edited:
Breezy and Pdino y'all keep spitting knowlwdge in here so I can get me a crib , im 21 so I gotta minute

People dont understand the era of financial leverage that created the boom n bust. The RE uptick you see now is a shift of liquidity from overseas into US assets.

The fundamental thinking that this boom after the "great" recession happened is a bit skewed.

For all those thinking a next crash will happen, well what do you think will bring it down? The same as in 2008? lol

For all we know, prices can stay elevated for the lingest time, and the break even calculation may extends further.

Real Estate is wealth because it accumulates with each passing generation.

Many are late to the party and continue to hold onto the idea that rental income will net them some positives. But do the math, the break even point will be a long long time. But your kids will thank you for it!!!

Breezy and Pdino y'all keep spitting knowlwdge in here so I can get me a crib , im 21 so I gotta minute

Bought my house at 23. You don't have to wait to make moves because society says you're young.

What about people that don't have kids or plan to have kids. I have friends that never plan on having kids that aren't really looking to buy property because of that

I don't plan on marrying or having kids. Still bought a house because I want to build wealth.

Not wanting kids is an odd justification for not wanting to buy a house. The two are completely independent. :lol:

Last edited:
Bought my house at 23. You don't have to wait to make moves because society says you're young.

Exactly purchased mine at 22, made sense for me so I went for it.

Homeownership isn't for everybody some people like to rent, thats cool too.

Hot Route, there are many successful real estate investors that recently started investing. Some that went from 0 to 20 units in a few years , some that went from 0 to 80 units in a few years. It doesn't take generations to see a profit if you are running your numbers correctly before purchasing. if I rented my townhouse to a family right now I would see a profit.

Last edited:
You can always buy an investment property. When I'm ready to move out of my duplex, the rental will pay off my mortgage and net me 700$/month if I moved out today. I got a huge refund from the tax break and increased my withholding at work so I make a couple hundred more per paycheck. I'm building equity in my home and home price has went up 10,000$ since buying it. I plan to refinance to 15 yr mortgage and by 45 yrs old I'll be making 3500$+ in rental income when it's paid off/ month.

The richest people in the world either have stocks or real estate.. Or both

+1

It's funny to me how the people in this thread that actually own property are telling him to do it.

It would seem we would be able to speak to it more than a theory or a guess because it's our real lives.

My house has appreciated 25K in 6 months.

Type of units available depends on your location. Really is no such thing as a Triplex in the DC area, we have Duplexes and row houses. Nothing is wrong with buying a Duplex.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom