Has collecting/buying sneakers turned into a rich person hobby?

And I wouldn't say its a rich persons hobby but at the same time its never been a broke persons hobby either. Sneakers have always been costly but people of all ages and races ended up getting them.

I'd say its became moreso a teenager, kid, those with lots of time on their hands hobby. Campouts, raffles, twitter RSVP's. all that stuff is for people who have alot of expendable time on their hands. No productive adult has the time to be camping out in front of a store for hours, nor sitting by a computer for hours hitting refresh over and over again while waiting to get shoes on eastbay or a chance to RSVP a pair.

Most teenagers got no real bills or responsibilities and are either getting funded by mommy and daddy or whatever money they make from their part time job goes to finance their shoe habit and since they have alot of spare time, camping out isn't an issue for them.

Why you dudes tripping in middle and HS who you think is gonna buy your shoes?? What's the legal age to work and actually make money?? Yes my parents bought my J's I'll take free J's from anybody lol. But anyhow the game is dead. Shoes come out every 5 mins. Each player has 20 color ways in release lol.

I agree with most of you.im just waiting for another "new trend" for kids to flock over..until then im just saving money,maybe travel for a bit while these pokemon generations lining up for limited colorful kicks.

Won't happen. Unless another Vans fad comes back, we're all SOL.

Same adults and kids who rocked Vans in 05 and couldn't be seen in Nikes are now the same ones trying to buy every loud and limited color.

Nike is sitting back enjoying the instant online sell outs, all the chaos of implementing RSVPs and raffles. When August comes around and the RSVP thing is supposedly being phased out, Nike will say, you want any shoe you have to get a tattoo of it and you have a spot and you'll have the idiots that would it...just cause it's Nike.
Trueeee

But nah I don't think so whomever is willing to go through the struggle to get em, for example camping out

The minute basic general releases started becoming a hassle to get and footlocker limited their employees monthly discount limit which made it harder for me to have consistent connects is when I stopped buying sneakers regularly.

If the younger kids wanna go crazy for all the current stuff that's out and go through loops and bounds to get stuff, let them knock themselves out.

I've cut back significantly and the money saved has gone to so much other enjoyable stuff so I have no regrets.

The "sneakerhead" trend phase is eventually going to fade and the bubbles going to burst though. There releasing to much stuff in to short a period of time. The term "limited" has long lost its luster when its numerous different pairs of limited sneakers coming out. It's impossible to keep up.

It was a similar "sneakerhead" phase from about late 04-06 from what I remember although not as crazy as it is now. By late 07 aqua 8's and playoff 8's were sitting on shelves and were marked down at alot of places. In due time the bubble will burst again and when it does, ill pick up a few releases I missed out on while paying retail or less then retail for them.
Won't happen. Unless another Vans fad comes back, we're all SOL.

Same adults and kids who rocked Vans in 05 and couldn't be seen in Nikes are now the same ones trying to buy every loud and limited color.

Nike is sitting back enjoying the instant online sell outs, all the chaos of implementing RSVPs and raffles. When August comes around and the RSVP thing is supposedly being phased out, Nike will say, you want any shoe you have to get a tattoo of it and you have a spot and you'll have the idiots that would it...just cause it's Nike.

it will burst. .these fickle kids arent gonna be wanting to rock the same thing as everyone else forever. they will move on to something else.. or when these young kids start getting pus5y shoes will be less important.

Last edited:
it will burst. .these fickle kids arent gonna be wanting to rock the same thing as everyone else forever. they will move on to something else.. or when these young kids start getting pus5y shoes will be less important.
Therein lies the problem. At least in Los Angeles, the first thing on males minds is stunting on other males first and the box second. Especially with the birds these dudes go for, they have to keep up appearances.

The original intent of the thread just went completely left and became a rant about sneaker culture.

Nothing wrong with it but I agree. You want the shoes to look nice and new forever why don't you rock beat chucks and wear the shoes around your neck?

I understand. Shoes are meant to be worn and their is no point in fussing over wrinkles in your shoes when they are meant to happen but at the same time some of these shoes are an investment for me. If I spend $300-$400 on a sneaker I'm wearing those mother f'ers for the rest of my life and sneaker shields just extend the life of those shoes.

I don't get you guys' logic.

I respect a guy more wearing sneaker shields to keep his shoes as pristine as possible while wearing them, than the guy who buys them and lets the collect dust in his closet.

Because at the end of the day, whether you wear the shields or not... At least you're actually wearing your shoes. Not wasting money to just look at them.

Thats like saying "I don't understand why people clean their shoes. Bunch of sneaker princesses"

****** can't keep their shoes clean now?

I mean think about it we COLLECT sneakers... Someone could call you a princess for needing so many different pairs of shoes.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with it but I agree. You want the shoes to look nice and new forever why don't you rock beat chucks and wear the shoes around your neck?

I understand. Shoes are meant to be worn and their is no point in fussing over wrinkles in your shoes when they are meant to happen but at the same time some of these shoes are an investment for me. If I spend $300-$400 on a sneaker I'm wearing those mother f'ers for the rest of my life and sneaker shields just extend the life of those shoes.

EL OH EL.

I don't get you guys' logic.

I respect a guy more wearing sneaker shields to keep his shoes as pristine as possible while wearing them, than the guy who buys them and lets the collect dust in his closet.

Because at the end of the day, whether you wear the shields or not... At least you're actually wearing your shoes. Not wasting money to just look at them.

Thats like saying "I don't understand why people clean their shoes. Bunch of sneaker princesses"

****** can't keep their shoes clean now?

I mean think about it we COLLECT sneakers... Someone could call you a princess for needing so many different pairs of shoes.

THIS.

I wasn't aware sneaker shields get so much hate. Lol maybe I should start buying doubles like the rest of you guys. You know one to rock and one to sel- I mean stock

the real collectors are the dudes who in the 80s saw something special about MJ and his shoes and new then that it would be a part of history. So they racked up on them. Then with the first retros in '94 they did it again. I give them props, b/c it was real appreciation for the man and the shoe.

Aquas sat in L.A., not forever but a week or 2 after you could still cop.

They sat for a few months. I bought 5 pairs from different footlockers and footactions around the area in either November or December 2007 when footlocker had an employee 50% off weekend. If I recall they came out in either late August or early September that year and I live in LA btw

i dont remember the aquas sitting that long at all.  unless u guys live in montana or something

i wouldnt even consider myself a sneakerhead and remember in 07 when i copped a pair on finishline.com backorder for like $88. Sold em to someone on here. size 12

Maybe we're just getting old and we've become the old heads that use to complain on NT :lol:

Maybe we're just getting old and we've become the old heads that use to complain on NT :lol:

these are the same kids that said Flight Club would never stay open, that reseller prices on sneakers were "too high" and were bound to fall 5 years ago... that foamposites would never go mainstream and people were crazy to pay $300+ for GRs

they're still here being wrong as ever.
I don't like it any more than you guys, but I'm not trying to be wrong off principle :rolleyes

222806.jpg

Haha!

I remember going to the Sole Collector party in SF like 7 years ago back in the hay day of shoes. Dave White was painting live and Bigfoot was doing some stuff there too since he had a shoe with iPath. I remember at one point, some DJ told everyone to take off one shoe and hold it in the air. I did it and just felt like such a turd but seeing everyone so happy with one shoe off was just funny and surprising how much love there is with sneakers. I bet everyone (including me) brought out the most rarest sneakers to rock then and I remember doing the duck walk just not trying to mess up what I had on.

Back
Top Bottom