Has COMCAST Customer Security ever called you?

I just got a call from Comcast (didn't pick up) and some guy left me a message that this was some urgent/time sensative issue and need me to even call back and even had a case number. I googled online to see what this number was and found out it was Comcast security and read some guys experience saying that there was actually a download limit for users (he said 250gb) and said he got a call from them too.

Has anyone had an experience with these guys? What can I expect....just a verbal warning or some serious issues? With this whole Hurt Locker cases opening up, this thing has me super shook!

not me personally.. but a friend of mine said Comcast is known to do that (amongst the torrent community).. 
grin.gif

edit: he also said that they can cut your internet service off completely.. 
eek.gif

yeah, theres been a limit for a while

its just that most people dont go anywhere near it

if youre not running MMOs or a server out of your house, they know what youre doing
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tecca nena

dammnnn!!! you think you've downloaded 250 gigs?

There's no way. All the movies I have downloaded ever total is about 210 gigs and that was over like 7 months. I would say I am a casual downloader if anything but that is the only reason why I think I would get a call. I mean I surf the internet everyday since I have no cable for my TV or other such stuff but that shouldn't even be factor.

in XP you can see the amount of data received and sent. I have literally done nothing in two days and already at 2.5GB. If I was legitimately doing downloading, web searching, or video game playing, i think the 250GB limit would be reached easily.

Well....I just called them and it had to do with the 250gb limit. I asked the guy and check this out.....as of last May, I downloaded about 940gbs worth of stuff! I mean I am being truthful and do admit I download but to reach to that limit is insane! He was a cool guy though (seemed young and probably a downloader himself) and just gave me some solutions on what to do to prevent this and I just blamed it all on my imaginary roommate that I don't have that isn't smashing and is a closet freak.

So close call for the most part. Can someone answer me this....I never ever turn off my computer and just let it sleep whenever I don't use it. Does that add up to the usage in the internet? I mean with that, downloading, going online on my computers and PS3, that could rack it up but getting to almost a TB is just crazy still.

im just reading up on this now. If 99% are not affected and the PRICE of the service is set for that 250gb limit, what is that 1% really harming?

They say the average user is only using 2-4gb a month on average... They are ripping off 99% of their customers considering the limit is related to the price we pay... I guess the other option is tiered price limits.. 1-10 for cheaper than all the rest. I dont know if comcast would like that considering whats already happening.

if anything, you alone are making up for the fact millions of customers are NOT getting their moneys worth.

how big is your HDD and do you have anything externally saved or maybe you upload alot? Almost a TB is crazy

EDIT:
just did some basic math. for my comcast, i max around 1megabyte a second, or 1000KB/s. In one minute, I can get about 60megabytes.. Work that out into hours and you have about 3.6 GB an hour. Now to reach 940GB in one months span, you are looking at almost 9 straight hours of usage EVERYDAY for 30 days straight.

Even if speeds were higher in the 1.5megabyte range, you are still looking at 6 hours a day of maximized usage for 30 straight days.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Well....I just called them and it had to do with the 250gb limit. I asked the guy and check this out.....as of last May, I downloaded about 940gbs worth of stuff! I mean I am being truthful and do admit I download but to reach to that limit is insane! He was a cool guy though (seemed young and probably a downloader himself) and just gave me some solutions on what to do to prevent this and I just blamed it all on my imaginary roommate that I don't have that isn't smashing and is a closet freak.

So close call for the most part. Can someone answer me this....I never ever turn off my computer and just let it sleep whenever I don't use it. Does that add up to the usage in the internet? I mean with that, downloading, going online on my computers and PS3, that could rack it up but getting to almost a TB is just crazy still.
eek.gif
eek.gif
my god, you have like HD/Blu-ray everything?

I have a 1.5TB external HD (600gb used so far) that I put on my PS3. On my regular HD on my Mac, I think it is 250bg but only about 80gb are used up. I could have been going over for the past 6 months of getting internet at my spot cause the guy said Comcast did a random audit and saw that I went over. Maybe the figures are wrong and the 950gbs are over a period of time cause i just can't figure out why it could be so high in one month.

I did read people talking about only a small percentage goes over the limit. I asked about a reader to see if you are going over or not and he said I could log into my Comcast account and see it there if it is available for my area. Either that or download a program or even if I have to, buy one. I need to just turn of my computers and go outside more.

Back
Top Bottom