Has your fandom evolved? Have you started following any new sports or, conversely, dropped any?

I ask because today was MLB's ASG. I used to follow MLB very closely (watched every inning of the 2004 ALCS and WS even though I was a big Cubs fan and so forth) but haven't watched a full game on TV in 2+ years (I've attended a few). I've completely dropped the sport from my fandom. I am thinking about doing the same with the NFL because I enjoy CFB a lot more and it's just too much damn football. Too damn much. Yea, I know how that sounds. If I go through with that, I would only follow CFB and the NBA religiously. I'll watch some March Madness and some big college BB games but my interest in CBB has definitely waned in recent years, especially for the regular season. I just don't enjoy it, the talent is wanting, and the refs are far worse in college than the NBA. Far worse. I also catch a boxing match once in a blue moon. I tried to get into it but just couldn't. I only pay attention to tennis and golf during Grand Slams and Majors and even then, I'll miss most moments. No NASCAR, MMA, soccer or NHL. 
Niketalk S&T, share your fandom's evolution in this thread. 

Or not. 

Hockey has always been my main sports focus closely followed by MLB and NFL. Never really had any interest in basketball up until a few years ago. As a little kid, I had an obsession with NASCAR (
laugh.gif
) but I grew out of that by the time I was like 8 or 9.
My fandom:

Rangers

Mets

Jets

Knicks

Pretty much up until I graduated HS I only cared about and watch NBA basketball.

As the years have passed, I have picked up these sports in this order

Tier 1:NFL, CBB
Tier 2:US Soccer/MLS
Tier 3:MLB, CFB

Haven't really picked teams for any of those new sports.

Still love the Kings till the day they move...

I was a fringe Hockey fan (Kings) went to a couple games watched a handful on tv every year for like the last decade. But this year and Stanley cup run was so special and definitely made a full fledged fan out of me.

I didn't watch hardly any college basketball this yr, caught bits and peaces of the tourney and that's all. The 35 second shot clock, all the charges, zone defense, swinging the ball around the perimeter and chucking 3s, it's just sloppy

Got a lot more in to the NHL, NCAA Bball, and somewhat in to soccer in the last few years.

I've actually started following NCAAF recruiting trail a lot closer(USC). That and i seem to enjoy watching soccer in recent years

Stopped caring about baseball and the Yankees. It's just not an entertaining sport.

Became a Real Madrid fan when I was dominating with them in FIFA 07 and everyone else was on the Barca/Ronaldinho bandwagon

Liked the jets when I was a lot younger then switched to a giants fan in 06 when I changed my nfl 2k franchise from jets to giants since I liked their packages better, then the titles racked up
pimp.gif

I was always a knicks fan but my fandom went up another level around the time we got marbury. It had nothing to do with him just started watching the game more often and closely.

I have followed soccer a lot more closely over the past couple years, which has pushed out MLB altogether.

As a L.A. area resident, losing both NFL teams made me lose interest in the NFL. I really liked and followed baseball back when I collected baseball cards during the Kirby Puckett/Bash Brothers era....now I'll stop and watch a few innings of a Dodger's game here and there but nothing too serious.

I've always found this subject very interesting. Sports have pretty much defined me my entire life.

For my sports current hierarchy in terms of what I follow pretty much looks like this.

1a. Soccer
1b. NFL Football
2. NBA, Boxing, NCAA Football
3. Tennis
4. NCAA Basketball, MLB, Golf

I was a big baseball fan growing up and played very seriously until I was 16 when I stopped to focus on other sports. That's pretty much when I stopped following MLB. It's always been strange to me how abruptly I lost interest. Used to know all the players, watched Baseball Tonight every single night in the summers, etc. It's so strange now when I look at an MLB roster and recognize maybe one or two names per team from when my teen years. Entirely new generation of players.

My evolution as a soccer fan has been pretty interesting too. Played my whole life, was always my best sport until I started playing football in high school. But for the majority of my life professional soccer just wasn't accessible in America. When I was a kid the only way to be in the loop when it came to soccer was the FIFA video game series. I remember they started airing the Champions League final on either FOX or ESPN circa 2005 and that was the first time I ever got to watch soccer outside the World Cup. Can you imagine a generation of young basketball players growing up playing ball but NEVER getting to watch MJ, or Kobe, or Lebron?

When I got the premium soccer channels a couple of years ago and overseas matches became readily available on the internet it really changed my fandom when it came to other sports. Just not enough time to keep up with it all. NBA hoops suffered the most. Went from a hardcore fan as a kid to really only paying serious attention to the Warriors, the playoffs, and marquee match ups throughout the season. Baseball went extinct, stopped paying as much attention to college football.

NCAA Basketball and MMA have taken a MAJOR decline. I would say I'm trying to pick up soccer but only when it's on ESPN. I don't have the other sports channels where the other games are on
30t6p3b.gif

Started truly following sports around age 11 and still remain hardcore fan of NFL, MLB and NBA to this day. For NHL, I'm still a noob as far as understanding all the rules about sport (I know the obvious things such as a goal and a save btw 
laugh.gif
) but not as passionate about hockey as the other 3 major sports leagues. More or less I just root for the Sharks b/c it's my hometown team. 
Growing up I was relatively big fan of NCAA football and bball. It picked up a lot when I started going to college at ASU but then my passion for football kinda died off since ASU's football team with the exception of my freshman year; was trash the rest of my time there. 

Basketball interest was piqued bc James Harden made the school semi-relevant for the short time he was there. But the last 2-3 years, I just don't really care for college basketball anymore. I'll keep tabs on the tourney strictly for upset watch and bracket contests but watching the sport in general has lost it's appeal to me. Too many players coming in and leaving for NBA in short amount of time so not enough continuity for me. Sounds weird since college bball has always been like that but I feel like it's more frequent these days since the players who normally would've gone to draft out of high school are forced to go for one year and they usually dipset as soon as they can 
laugh.gif

Picked up Hockey this year because of the Kings' Cup run. Actually gave me a chance to really give hockey a shot and watch the game. It's awesome.
During the NFL season, I always think that the Eagles and football were my favorite sport to watch, but I realize that even in the offseason, all I think about is the NBA.
Not only the Pistons, but the game itself. I'm not at that level with football yet.
Never was too into college sports, but kept up with college football and basketball. Always thought it was kind of too much about history and tradition as opposed to the actual game of football/basketball.
Soccer is interesting, I just need to keep delving into it and the stories around it.

Ive expanded my soccer following to multiple leagues now Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, aswell as the BPL i just play a mixtape and watch the game on mute if i dont find the game in english as before i wouldnt bother if it wasnt in english

I dont watch baseball as much anymore it went from watching every game i could, checking boxscores, reading articles to only like a game a week and not really bothering with the rest of the league if it dosnt involve the Cubs

I hated soccer all my life...and thought it was boring. I no longer hate the sport....but still think it is boring.

Evolution at its finest.
pimp.gif

I picked up hockey [mostly NHL] after playing fantasy on yahoo a few years back. Picked it up since then and I love it. Only sport I've actually went in depth with, like looking up scouting reports - trying to follow other hockey leagues. I still watch NBA/NFL from time to time, but hockey is that sport for me. I stopped watching tennis when Agassi retired, Team Radical all day!

-Became a fan of Bron Bron after the Heat lost the finals
-Became a fan of Kyrie Irving after the Uncle Drew video
-Was a huge Red Sox fan back in HS, now I'm just a casual fan
-Casual fan of the Cubs since they got Epstein

...all I can think of right now.

I would say gambling has influenced my fandom more than anything else, but I have definately shifted my focus to more football and less basketball over the years.

I follow NCAA football closest, great matchups every week, the best rivalries, and guys are still playing for pride not $$$.Every game matters. nothing better than watching games from 12pm-12am on a Saturday. I love eyeing out games all week and nailing down a full card of picks on fridays.

NFL is good to follow, but I don't bet on it much, just parlays and props for fun.

College hoops is awesome, certain teams have a lot of character and personality and there are good rivalries. Great entertainment value, and games are only 2 hours long, Keeps me happy from January-March when football is winding down/over.

NBA is definately on the decline for me, officiating is terrible, much worse than college. Too many guys whining about fouls and too many games where teams show up and just go through the motions. Can be extremely boring at times. Celtics fan for life though.

MLB is very profitable to gamble on, I still can't become a real die hard fan though.I love watching a great pitcher go to work. Still seem to fall asleep everytime I attempt to sit through an entire game.

Boxing>>>>>>MMA..and its really not close for me.

Big NBA & NFL fan... I watch college basketball, baseball, & boxing casually. I used to be a pretty big baseball fan, but over the years my interest decreased more & more.

Back
Top Bottom