Has your passion for collecting J's dampened at all?

this is for the OGs -- like many, i started before the days of retros, colorways, PE's were an absolute rarity, not a type of release.

while i still look forward to each launch and keep a tab on the game, i find myself less excited for all the new releases and variations of J's out there. i think as a business model, JB has done a great job of marketing to the masses and increasing the accessibility of J's to the general public. i guess onecould cite the whole - "its not cool unless its underground" theory, but thought i would see if there are any similar sentiments out there.

My passion is almost gone for anything newer than 2003. The only releases I own since then are the XX1, XX2, and XX3. Those were the only released shoes thatI kept after buying. Ever since quality went downhill, and I knew that Nike Air wouldnt come back, nothing but the XX3 has got me excited. Im justdissapointed overall, and will continue that until they change my two complaints. Im really glad Nike has retroed a few shoes the right way, like the BluePenny Foams, and Zoom Flight 95. Both shoes have been comfortable, and impressive. Any Jordan retro that I bought after 2003 was not comfortable at all, anddissapointing.

i would be lying if i said i wasn't excited in 2006 with all the retro's we got in colorways i was waiting for (fire red IV's anyone!!) BUT i wouldalso be lying if i said i wasn't extremely disappointed with what the quality turned out to be on most of these sought after retro's. Just yesterday iwas trying to rearrange my sneaker mess and bought a couple new shelving units while switching things up i looked at some of the recent retro's i havegotten that i was really excited about getting, My cardinal VII's look terrible, the tongue is yellowed and looks like crap, I only got to wear a coupletimes ever, the IV's i dont even need to comment on everyone already knows, my V's with the crappy netting look gross and so on and so forth. At theend of the day we have all gotten the shaft from JB as long time buyers, enthusiasts, & collectors and while i guess nobody forced me to buy, shoes likethe cards, military and fire red IV's, grape V's, black tongue Fire Red V's, Black toe I's are all shoes i had been patiently waiting for andthere was really no way i was going to pass on them. The only thing i can say in favor of JB at this point is i have been pretty impressed with the XXiii andthey still have their marketing game working at a top notch level, which i can always appreciate.

i'm not an older shoe collector by any means and havent been buying j's for that long at all. but i personally hate retroes older than 03' . mynewest release is prally DMP but all the new stuff just doesnt look right.
Grapes, aquas, military, fire red iii used to be the best og's but retro took something away from them imo.

I just pass on all the junk that comes out and only buy OG colorways at that. And I just wait for them to hit outlets like the Aquas I got last week. I'vepretty much got everything I need so it's no big deal. My passion for Jordans hasn't died just my excitement for what comes out these days.

I see where your coming from homie...for instance...Me!,the last "sig release" model before the XX2 I bought was the XVs way back when,I've lovedkix since I was about 8 years old(I remember being 8 or 9 begging moms for the VIIIs..and being told NO! lol
laugh.gif
),started collecting around 16-17,I'm now24...I still get the thrill,but not as strong as when I was 16-17.And it has a lot to do with all this bs hype,but imma still do me!

i just keep my mentality of buying only what i like. im OG too and with the latest release, its ok. i have not bought any. xx3 I will wait. i have not gottenany Js since the retro 3s(fire red and cool grey).

I'm 26 started buy/collecting Jordan's in 1995/96with the XI bought every color released for the signature line up to the XVI. I haven't spent a penny on a sig shoe until the XX3 and not because I lovethe number but I loved the shoe. I've spent thousands of dollars on OG over the last few years but I haven't been excited for any release but this lastone. The overall quality has dropped significantly year after year but prices are climbing with every release. Before the XX3 I seriously considered quitting,and just saving me from the disappointment that my love had become, I think I'm just hanging in there waiting for the right time, maybe one day we willrealize that we have been lied to by Gentry and by the Jordan Brand.

most of the stuff that JB releases nowadays are 90% garbage and straight rip off.

either the new designs are ugly or if the models are good (like any of the retro), they like to screw it up with colorways that resembles FAKES, !+@% quality,and little changes here and there that makes the retro not appealing at all.

if the retro is somewhat decent, they either jack the price to $ 500 a pair or limited it to 3 pairs in the world.

This is an interesting question. I found myself getting psyched for the "grails" many of us hoped for just to feel disappointed on the release date.Excluding the Black/Red VIII's, retros just haven't been done right in a while. The Military IV's were the most disappointing by far, quality wise,but I honestly wouldn't pay a bill for Aqua's, let alone retail price. As far as current AJ's, the XX3's in black are amazing in quality andfit. I haven't experienced the same problems with the pinky toe like other NTers. It is disappointing to see AJ 1 Levi, and opening day packs. They'reselling the hype because so many are buying into it.

I'm really just sick of wacky colors that have no business being on an Air Jordan.

Absolutely, but that's Jordan Brand's fault, so I don't really care about getting that passion back.

They've over saturated the market with the Jumpman logo, so it's not special anymore.

It's like Ferrari lowering the quality of their product, producing 2 million more vehicles per year, making some of them into ridiculous paint schemes(like a solid black with a red front bumper, a green rear bumper, and a white convertible top), all while keeping the same price tag... and expecting olderowners to still be proud of their Ferrari and keep passionately pursuing opportunities to buy more Ferraris.

Heck no.

You lower the quality on me, produce a new release with a Jumpman on it every week, come up with outlandish colorways, and keep the same price tag... whileexpecting me to still feel passionate about your product? Not happening.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Absolutely, but that's Jordan Brand's fault, so I don't really care about getting that passion back.

They've over saturated the market with the Jumpman logo, so it's not special anymore.

It's like Ferrari lowering the quality of their product, producing 2 million more vehicles per year, making some of them into ridiculous paint schemes (like a solid black with a red front bumper, a green rear bumper, and a white convertible top), all while keeping the same price tag... and expecting older owners to still be proud of their Ferrari and keep passionately pursuing opportunities to buy more Ferraris.

Heck no.

You lower the quality on me, produce a new release with a Jumpman on it every week, come up with outlandish colorways, and keep the same price tag... while expecting me to still feel passionate about your product? Not happening.
Very Well Said.

6 years ago, it could have been said that Nike and JB were the Ferrari of Sneakers, but now it would be more like Isuzu with the same price tag of Ferrari.
roll.gif

I will always chase after a great quality shoe that I love from the past..as said above the quality makes it that much easier for to pass on the current retrosin order to find the OG shoe done the right way..

I sometimes take it as a hook baiting the real shoe heads to get to the point where they control/influence the quality themselves

I'm pretty young, so when i see the older Jordan's that came out before my size11 foot came to be, i want to buy them, but there at ridiculous prices
and to make it worst, the trash Jordan puts out makes it hard to even think the guy isn't a creep. he treats the customers like lab mice, "lets seehow much i can make off of this piece of crap inspired by my feces" or "these sneakers are wonderful, but let me drop them in 5 stores in the U.S.and sell them at 500$" its like he wants people to compete for mediocrity.

i dont have a passion for it, but real talk, the stuff he has put out over the years no other sneaker company can really compete. so its hard when this kind ofstuff happends

it was until my sister stole all my j's (originals) rangin from og 3's to og 15's while i was in the navy. I just got out and my mom took all mystuff out of storage and it was nuthin but empty boxes. I am deciding tostart all over or not but i know it will take me forever to get where i was.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

It's like Ferrari lowering the quality of their product, producing 2 million more vehicles per year, making some of them into ridiculous paint schemes (like a solid black with a red front bumper, a green rear bumper, and a white convertible top), all while keeping the same price tag... and expecting older owners to still be proud of their Ferrari and keep passionately pursuing opportunities to buy more Ferraris.

Heck no.

You lower the quality on me, produce a new release with a Jumpman on it every week, come up with outlandish colorways, and keep the same price tag... while expecting me to still feel passionate about your product? Not happening.

well said - but, playing the devil's advocate, what about JB's argument about creating a product for the general public to enjoy and increasing theprofile of JB's rich history? wouldnt we be whining for retros and new colorways if they kept on releasing only 1 sneaker each year? wouldnt their businessplan be unsustainable / flawed? rarely are businesses in business simply for the collectable / premium market (fine motor cars being one of them)

I still buy jordans but not as many non jordans as before and I would be liying if I said I am even losing it a little for jordan sneakers.

But not enought that I'll stop buying them as long as I have the cash for it.

Yes, the passion is beyond being dampened, Jordans are fun but like an alcoholic or crackhead develops a "tolerance" to certain amounts of alcohol ordrugs, the "high" of wearing Jordans wears off quicker each time. They're fun, but have become a chore in today's modern world, and astressful thing to obtain.

It's funny but I think of the Aquas. I was soooo happy when they retroed and couldn't wait to get them. I buy them, get them home and quality issues. Ican't tell you how many Jordans I have returned or sold for one quality issue or another and although I can't sit here and say I will never buy anotherone but I will say that I am not even close to how I used to be. I set out to get the ones I REALLLY liked and once I did that, I'm good. I sometimeswonder if MJ was still playing, would they still release these crazy colors and stuff. I mean, could you see Jordan wearing the White and Red XX2's in agame?? but this is what he sells to us. We complain about the product but coem release day, they sell out. Who wouldn't put out ANYTHING they think of?It's funny but for those that have the latest Sole Collector, did you notice that of the collection we saw of G's. Notice he really didn't have ANYof the crazy colorways.

I've never stopped buying Jordans but I have been more selective these past years. The quality has slacked and some colors are just
sick.gif
. I guess from abusiness standpoint, JB is making money off the masses. Plus, when you keep hearing that they will make it harder to get shoes in the future, it makes itharder for me to buy any Jordans. Overall, since Jordan had his second retirement, I haven't had the same excitement I had when you saw him in his shoeswearing a Bulls uniform. This has also played a role. He's the main reason I got into Jordans in the first place.

Mine has definitely slowed down. I am still on the hunt for the retros that came out before 2003. Lot of good stuff there. Lately, just not feeling some of theproducts.

I understand that JB is a business and are always pushing the creative envelope, but simplicity can go very far too.

Back
Top Bottom